Powerlifting while cutting - need input

Options
RachNRoll
RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
Long story short: overweight woman wanting/needing to lose weight and change shape of body, sedentary at the time. Boyfriend introduced me to Powerlifting. I was so weak in the beginning I couldn’t even lift the barbell alone. I started to track my calories and macros to lose weight while lifting. In 4 months I lost almost 6Kg and became stronger, even with a few issues in the meantime, like injury.
I was eating around 1300-1400 kcal, with one cheat meal here and there (usually sushi night).

I still need/want to lose weight (5 Kg, don’t judge, I have my reasons) but I think my body is becoming a little bit tired of the food restriction. I’ve been finding myself kind not being that strict with my plan for the past 2 weeks, and I’m starting to think that maybe I need to eat more? Or am I losing focus? By “not being strict” I mean sneaking on the cereal box or blueberries, or grapes.

All experiences that I read from people who Powerlift eat a lot, and even the ones who are cutting they didn’t start by cutting like in my case. So I’m having some problems in relating to people in the same situation as me.

Is there anyone out there with more experience in Powerlifting and cutting who can help me?
Am I eating enough? Or should I increase my calories and still lose weight? Or is it just a question of focus?

Replies

• Fight_with_discipline
    Fight_with_discipline Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to raise your calories to maintenance, either by a little bit per week or all at once, maybe depending on if you know your maintenance calories, and start logging strictly again.
    I have a hard time coming back after a pause from logging, but I've no problem logging and eating at maintenance and then lower the calories again when I feel I'm mentally ready again or feel like I'd like to lose some more weight.

I'm doing this right now to prepare for summer when I usually have a hard time logging, it's just easier when you have more calories to play with, and also as you say to get that extra energy to advance while weight lifting!
  • ndidonatobarger
    ndidonatobarger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you been tracking your body fat as well? Maybe your not eating enough calories since your lifting so heavy. I am on my last 5 lbs and I am focusing more on my bodyfat. I teach fitness and train myself and its hard.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have you been tracking your body fat as well? Maybe your not eating enough calories since your lifting so heavy. I am on my last 5 lbs and I am focusing more on my bodyfat. I teach fitness and train myself and its hard.

Yes I have. Right now I'm at 27.5% according to my Fitbit Aria but I don't think this scale is reliable whatsoever. Sometimes it says 25%, other times 27%.
    I have my progress here actually: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36352183#Comment_36352183

After posting the initial post I had a massage and the therapist (I'm a regular) said he's seeing signs of exaustion at this point and advised me to take a break for a couple of days, treat myself with food and don't train except for a light walk. I might take a few days to go on maintenance and rest for 3 or 4 days...
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Without doing the maths on your stats and so assuming that 1300-1400 (+ 1 cheat meal per week) is a moderate deficit I would say that you should increase your total weekly calories somewhat. Suggest you either add 100 or so to your daily or increase that weekly cheat meal by 600 - 700 cals monitor and, if required, up them further.

Lifting, especially the power lifting protocols, can be very taxing and to maintain progression it is recommended that you eat very close to maintenance if not a slight surplus.

I know that this is frightening and that you feel you will get fat but at maintenance cals, with good stimulus from the training, adequate protein (and fat for health), and rest you should progress in your lifts whilst slowly reducing body fat.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've been lifting for the last 15ish months (breaks due to non-lifting injury along the way, prior to that it had been a ~10-year gap), and "cutting" for the last 11.5 months (there have been various breaks along the way, like vacation, but always back to the diet). When I started out I was gaining a ton of strength and losing 2lb/week and had no problem keeping to the calories. As time has gone on, my willingness to keep up that pace has dwindled to where I now just want to eat at maintenance. But that was because I started with 50lb of spare fat to burn for energy and now I have very little spare fat. Sometimes it is about being strict like you were when you started, but sometimes it is just your body needs more energy. I'm currently aiming for 0.5-0lb/week loss, but the lifting can definitely be taxing. I just recently hit a PR of 8x282.5lb squat combined with 8x290lb deadlift (tried for 9x) in the same session and honestly it wiped me out for the next day.

So, if your deficit is reasonable and you are completing your training and recovering, try being more strict with your food intake. If you find you aren't recovering and completing your training as desired then you have 2 directions you can go (and they aren't mutually exclusive). You can reduce the frequency/volume of your training (it takes less to maintain what you already built) or you can increase your calorie intake. It really depends on what your primary goals are right now (losing weight vs building strength/muscle). I mean, theoretically you could go 2 weeks at maintenance then 2 weeks at a 0.5lb/week cut if it helps you stick to the plan.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    RachNRoll wrote: »

Yes I have. Right now I'm at 27.5% according to my Fitbit Aria but I don't think this scale is reliable whatsoever. Sometimes it says 25%, other times 27%.
    I have my progress here actually: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36352183#Comment_36352183

After posting the initial post I had a massage and the therapist (I'm a regular) said he's seeing signs of exaustion at this point and advised me to take a break for a couple of days, treat myself with food and don't train except for a light walk. I might take a few days to go on maintenance and rest for 3 or 4 days...

Since you are "exhausted" i want to ask, are you on a powerlifting program? They are designed to not cause exhaustion, with set days and workouts, and specific rest days. I'd highly recommend a program if you are taking this seriously.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    So what I am reading, and correct me of I'm wrong, is that you have been on a deficit for 16 weeks from a diet perspective, and running a powerlifting program for 16 weeks (assuming).

So to kind of get you thinking of a few things, how many times have you deloaded in your powerlifting program?
    If a good structured program incorporates deloads in its program periodically, wouldn't a good structured diet also incorporate "deloads" (maintenance periods) as well?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I started like you, losing weight while running a powerlifting program. I didn't really notice fatigue from the lifting or plateaus until I got lean, bulked, and THEN tried to cut again.

That said, just make sure your deficit isn't too aggressive. Take a deload week when the program suggests. You can also try things like instead of running a 5x5 (are you?), try a 3x5. Etc. Are you doing a lot of added hypertrophy work. What program do you use?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd say that - since you seem to be having issues with dietary adherence - that a dietary period of maintenance is a good idea. You probably only need a few weeks, then go back to a slight deficit.

Out of curiosity - as has been mentioned - what sort of program are you doing? Something common, such as 5/3/1 or the ilk, something a trainer has put together for you, or something you (and/or your boyfriend) put together?
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    watch your macros too, i adjust mine depending on how im feeling in the gym. When i feel like i'm fatiguing and i think its from my nutrition, i bump up my protein, or generally i sip on a protein shake throughout my workout. And timing of when you get those nutrients is important. After you work out, you gotta eat some chicken or something right away to feed your muscles. I add in BCAA's also. Regardless of if im cutting, maint or bulk, i always watch my macros. You can work up a good macro balance even if you are in a cut. Make sure your calories are all solid healthy ones, not a bunch of sugar or alcohol or wasted calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been doing heavy lifting for 3 years. 1.5 years I was losing the weight went the next 6-9 months was maintenance....I notice a large difference in what I could lift while on maintenance...much more weight.

But that being said I take a week off here and there and have a deload week every 4 weeks.

I have yet to feel the "exhaustion".
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    watch your macros too, i adjust mine depending on how im feeling in the gym. When i feel like i'm fatiguing and i think its from my nutrition, i bump up my protein, or generally i sip on a protein shake throughout my workout. And timing of when you get those nutrients is important. After you work out, you gotta eat some chicken or something right away to feed your muscles. I add in BCAA's also. Regardless of if im cutting, maint or bulk, i always watch my macros. You can work up a good macro balance even if you are in a cut. Make sure your calories are all solid healthy ones, not a bunch of sugar or alcohol or wasted calories.

Why is the bolded important? nutrient timing?
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    OP sounds too me like your cals are way too low. You haven't really gone into detail about your macros. try increasing your cal intake on WOD by 300 and see if that makes a difference.

Did u decrease cals even lower then 1400?
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you can leave your entire workout on the floor of the gym, if you don't get food in you after a powerlifting workout. you gotta get high protein food into your muscles right away, i dont know the exact science behind it, but its we do at my powerlifting gym. I know there are different schools of thought on this, i just go with my training from well respected powerlifting coaches, not just gym fitness trainers plus what i have found works for me..
    For me and my experience, i dont eat a lot of carbs before i work out, or i will have a carb crash mid workout and get headachy. I'll eat carbs several hours before or after my workouts, or if im' doing a loooong workout i might add some during for energy release. I time my meals appropriately before my workout, so i have solid nutrition in me without being bloated. On my rest days , i eat whatever whenever. but on workout days, i'm careful what i have and when so energy is released and muscles are fed.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

you can leave your entire workout on the floor of the gym, if you don't get food in you after a powerlifting workout. you gotta get high protein food into your muscles right away, i dont know the exact science behind it, but its we do at my powerlifting gym. I know there are different schools of thought on this, i just go with my training from well respected powerlifting coaches, not just gym fitness trainers plus what i have found works for me..
    For me and my experience, i dont eat a lot of carbs before i work out, or i will have a carb crash mid workout and get headachy. I'll eat carbs several hours before or after my workouts, or if im' doing a loooong workout i might add some during for energy release. I time my meals appropriately before my workout, so i have solid nutrition in me without being bloated. On my rest days , i eat whatever whenever. but on workout days, i'm careful what i have and when so energy is released and muscles are fed.

:warning::warning::warning:

There's plenty of research documented that nutrient timing has very little effect vs. overall diet. More than likely it is simply a placebo effect for you......

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    There are more "efficient" ways to maintain muscle, loss fat, and keep your energy levels up. Generally following a powerlifting style training plan you would want to be at your caloric maintenance or a surplus to take full advantage of strength and muscle gains.

• SonyaCele
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

:warning::warning::warning:

There's plenty of research documented that nutrient timing has very little effect vs. overall diet. More than likely it is simply a placebo effect for you......

i'm just giving the OP my experience with cutting and Powerlifting. for me its not a placebo, but i appreciate everyone's opinions. everyone is different. The OP can take from my experience whatever she wants or doesn't want.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I don't know that powerlifters cut very often, just watching competitions... What is your routine?
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    heres a link to an article by a well known powerlifter and a better explanation of what i was trying to say about macros and timing.

http://www.powerrackstrength.com/nutrition-for-the-female-powerlifter/