Help Please !

Options
Hello every one so o have been running each morning as I wake up and each night before sleep but in the last few days my left knee and both my ankles are killing me ? As I have only started about two week ago and wasn't sure weather I was going to enjoy running I am currently running in my every day shoes. Are my pains due to not having proper running shoes yet ? Thabkyou everyone for you help

Replies

• Fight_with_discipline
    Fight_with_discipline Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've been running to much, take a step back and reevaluate, running shoes would help, but i still think you're running to much, and you might still have the problem you have now, start of with a low distance maybe 3 times a week, and then raise by 10% per week at the most, and run in at a slow pace in the beginning.
    I think your goal should be to start a good habit and enjoy running before trying to set any sort of record. :smile:
  • reecekyall
    reecekyall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I only run a mile in morning and mile at night it's not too much I don't think
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's no need to run twice a day, every day, unless you're training for an endurance event?

Look at c25k
  • reecekyall
    Options
    I prefer to run once in morning to wake me up properly for the day and at night when kids are asleep to make me tired for sleep :) and I'm hopin to enter a half marathon but need to choose which one :) and won't be doing half marathon for another year as I'm extremely overweight
  • Fight_with_discipline
    Fight_with_discipline Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's no need to run twice a day, every day, unless you're training for an endurance event?

Look at c25k

^This, and as i've said, switch to even less running, you're straining your body to much if you aren't used to running, c25k is a good program, start with that or something like it, i'd never recommend someone new to run more than 3 TIMES/week, you'll only end up hurting, maybe even an injury that you will have to recover from and then you're back to square one if you even have the will to start over again after that.

Take it from me, I've done it time and time again, always the same pattern, starting with too much, injury or sickness, then I wouldn't do it for half a year, then start again.

Build the habit, then build the strength or endurance, if you're after more calories you can walk for as much as you want in between!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    reecekyall wrote: »
    I prefer to run once in morning to wake me up properly for the day and at night when kids are asleep to make me tired for sleep :) and I'm hopin to enter a half marathon but need to choose which one :) and won't be doing half marathon for another year as I'm extremely overweight

Not sure why you bothered posting if you're not going to listen to anyone's advice OP?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Your muscles might adapt to running quickly, but your joints ligaments and other skeletal parts will need a longer time to adjust. Running is NOT a low impact sport! What happens if you overdo things is that you hurt yourself. Thus start slowly: run at a speed where you can still talk, and only run once every second day to give your body time to heal.
  • reecekyall
    Options
    Finally got running shoes and wow felt like I was running on a bouncy castle all my pains stopped and let me concentrate on the run
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There is no problem in running twice a day but i cant say the same about pushing yourself too hard. Start slow until you build the endurance and adjust the intensity as you go.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Particularly if you're very overweight, take it easy. All of that body weight is putting stress on your joints, and you can very easily injure yourself, particularly on a high-impact exercise like running.

When I was very obese I ended up with tendinitis from just a lot of walking (quite a lot lower impact) and it took me about six months to recover to where I felt like I was at 85% of where I was at before, and it took almost three years before I got to the point where my ankles almost never hurt.

Don't screw up your joints. Just don't. Trust me. Go ahead and run, but be very aware of your body telling you that it's had enough.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Please listen to these people with experience.
    Why not do a couple of routines from fitness blender or Nerdfitness body weight workout on alternate days. Or go to the pool aqua fit, water jogging or swimming.

High impact twice a day is not good for your joints especially if you are extremely overweight.

Listen to @rankinsect he has been there, done it, just didn't buy the T-shirt.
    Actually he is just being successful in losing a great amount of weight and shares his knowledge.

Cheers, h.