Bi-polar (II) meds anyone...?

Options
virichi08
virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
Currently on Wellbutrin but that's not helping. I would like to try something stronger. What have you guys been on? On a scale of 1-10 how much have they helped? What were the side effects?

(Please only helpful comments, I'm clinging on to hope here...=( )

Replies

• narf11
    narf11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on seroquel at the moment... I Have been on it for two years ... I have found it really good to regulate my moods and crazy racing thoughts and help me sleep. After two years I am on 150mg each night.. It's been good to get me back on track I have To say tho I don't think meds is the be all and end all...I've been attending counselling too which has helped. Side affects are the usual I think... Lack of energy, I felt quite a lot of personalitylessness when I was on higher doses and of course weight gain but from I have read it's normal for most bipolar meds to have theses side affects.
    Hope that's helpful?
    I'm quite new to this so am building up my friends so please feel free to add me.
  • akdz12
    akdz12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried almost everything and found a really good balance with Trileptal (generic = oxcarbazepine), in addition to therapy, exercise, proper sleep, and a daily routine. Good luck! And feel free to friend me. I know the struggle can be really awful at times.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was on zyprexa for 10 years. Gained 100 pounds. Losing weight on the medicine is nearly impossible. I went to prolixin and it is 10x more weigh neutral and was able to lose 70+ pounds on it with walking and eating right. Zyprexa is so bad with hunger and weight. Horrible. But it worked well with my issues.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I was on Abilify for a few years. It did wonders for my depression-dominant bipolar, but unfortunately it made me gain 80 pounds. My doctor switched me to Latuda, which is what I am on now, in addition to Lexapro. I have been able to drop some of the weight on those two meds. I like the Latuda. It works just as well as the Abilify did, but no icky weight gain for me.

I have been dealing with bipolar II for over 20 years and have tried seemingly every medication out there. I'm pretty happy with the Latuda/Lexapro combination. Those, combined with regular exercise, keeps my symptoms to a minimum.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    virichi08 wrote: »
    Currently on Wellbutrin but that's not helping. I would like to try something stronger. What have you guys been on? On a scale of 1-10 how much have they helped? What were the side effects?

(Please only helpful comments, I'm clinging on to hope here...=( )

wellbutrin caused me to have s*xual side effects and did nothing for me.
    lamictal caused me depression.
    latuda & abilify did nothing.
    i am on seroquel, hydroxyzine and zoloft (soon to be replaced with Brintellix)

side-effects = weight gain, huge appetite, drowsiness.

but i have to be on them or i can't function so really no choice in the matter.

sorry, ***ETA:
    scale of 1-10 (didn't help 1 up to helped 10)

Brintellix = 10
    lamictal = 1
    abilify = 3
    latuda = 1
    seroquel = 10
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    narf11 wrote: »
    I am on seroquel at the moment... I Have been on it for two years ... I have found it really good to regulate my moods and crazy racing thoughts and help me sleep. After two years I am on 150mg each night.. It's been good to get me back on track I have To say tho I don't think meds is the be all and end all...I've been attending counselling too which has helped. Side affects are the usual I think... Lack of energy, I felt quite a lot of personalitylessness when I was on higher doses and of course weight gain but from I have read it's normal for most bipolar meds to have theses side affects.
    Hope that's helpful?
    I'm quite new to this so am building up my friends so please feel free to add me.

you can add me, too, if you like, narf

i am 400mg/sero and my personality is shot to h3ll. i don't like it, but the alternative is lying in bed 20 hours a day. :neutral: