GOOD DINNER MEALS FOR UNDER 500 CAL!! HELP!?

Options
Is there any good meals ya'll have tried or made that is under 500 calories. Like pasta's, meatballs? , uhm, chicken parmesans? How about good meat meals? Please let me know your secrets! :]

Replies

• Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    bump
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have some recipes on my blog... kmoss91581.wordpress.com
  • sunrise84
    sunrise84 Posts: 18
    Options
    Boneless grilled (or griddle) pork loin center cut with steamed veggies. Use a small amount of olive oil to keep the chops moist and tender. I recently had this meal. Had I not had the mac and cheese, it would've been under 500. Check my diary for some other foods that you may like and can mix and match.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my homemade chicken sweet potato chili. So yummy and only 257 calories per serving. It's a complete meal with good protein and carbs.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I made pasta and meatballs yesterday. use extra lean ground meat, and my secret is a add 1/2 a cup of ground up beans, i have used kidney and black beans, to the meatball mix. It cuts the fat per serving. I use liquid egg whites instead of whole eggs to help bind it too. the beans make the meat tender it is very nice.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like to saute 8oz. of mushroom, add Scallops and cook until white. Remove from heat and top with an oz. of shredded Monteray Jack or pepper jack cheese. Put the cover back on the dish about a minute to melt the cheese. Very nice with broccoli or asparagus.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    pasta is going to be tough for < 500 especially with meat. If you do a tomato based sauce with just veggies you could probably stay under 500. Grilled chicken breast or fish with a steamed veggie side should be < 500. A wrap or salad with a small amount of lean meat and a vinegrette dressing should do it.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Almost every single meal I make is under 500 calories... a proper portion of a lean protein and 2 veggies can be had for under 300 calories easily... I made lasagna last night for 233 calories (recipe on blog)... unless you are covering everything with cream or frying it... you should be able to make almost anything you like to eat under 500 calories.

The best place to start is by trying to make the meals you currently eat healthier by changing some of the ingredients or the way you prepare it... you can shave off numerous calories by lowering the amount of butter you use, grilling instead of frying, substituting yogurt for heavy creams, etc...
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    i make a chicken curry with spices, tinned tomatoes and fat free natural yoghurt, whatever veg you want
    brown onions, add spice
    brown meat
    add tomatoes, simmer
    add yoghurt to consistansy desired
    add any extras i.e. pepper, mushroom
    leave to simmer while you cook your rice

2 onions, 4 chicken breast, 2 tins of tomatoes makes enough to feed 7 of us - 2 adults 5 kids,
  • RachelLovitt
    RachelLovitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like a mixed greens salad with cucumber, carrot, tomato, queso fresco (fresh lowfat cheese), kalamata olives, and a lean protein such as grilled chicken sausage, steak, or chicken. Add a bit of balsamic vinegar, herbs, and olive oil... Yum! Depending on your protein serving and the amount of cheese, this hovers around 500 calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I made pasta and meatballs yesterday. use extra lean ground meat, and my secret is a add 1/2 a cup of ground up beans, i have used kidney and black beans, to the meatball mix. It cuts the fat per serving. I use liquid egg whites instead of whole eggs to help bind it too. the beans make the meat tender it is very nice.

Silken tofu is also a good added to meatballs. I saw someone use this in Asian dumplings on the Food Network once and gave it a try. It gives the meat a very smooth texture and doesn't change the taste at all.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    all my things are vegan, but california harvest veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix, baked potato with seasoning, or some butter, just enough for flavor, and usually have a vegan chik n patty or chik n fingers. Or some pasta pesto, throw in bunch of veggies, a little pesto, and some pasta, i have fussili personally, or have a huge salad, again, mines vegan, but of course lettuce, some low cal meats, i love tofurkey, some cheese, low cal or regular, some dressing, i personally have 1000 island and make sure you measure, and throw in any other veggies or course, and some croutons, but not that many. my salad is personally huge and usually around 350 calories. good luck.
  • drdenise
    drdenise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You should purchase Clean Eating Magazine. Or the Clean Eating "Diet" books. They have outstanding recipes for all meals, and they are WONDERFUL! Lower calorie recipes for your favorite meals. I have made chicken strips for my son, stuffed pork loin, etc. Even desserts!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have some recipes on my blog... kmoss91581.wordpress.com

There's a recipe on my blog for vegetarian polenta lasagna that is delicious!! A lot of my recipes come from Oxygen magazine.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    http://sophiessweeties.onsugar.com/Fauxballs-duex-ways-8610837 - I used Laura's Lean Ground beef 4% fat instead. Each meatball came out to be 62 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/148232-inside-out-egg-rolls?hl=inside+out+egg+roll#posts-2268133 - I left out the oil and added zucchini, mushrooms, and a couple of tbsps of House of Tsang's Classic Stir Fry sauce.

I had four meatballs with a cup of "inside out egg roll" (and some stir fry sauce/soy sauce) for lunch today for only 350 calories. I'm soooo stuffed. I've never been this full on just 350 calories. :D I could only eat half my dessert and now I'm just waiting for the fullness to pass so I can actually go out and exercise! Lol.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    go to Eating Well's website, they have a whole section dedicated to dinners under 500 calories.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    How about breakfast for supper?
    2 Al Fresco Sweet Italian chicken sausage (260 cal), 2 jumbo eggs (180 cal) and a cup of spinach.
    Saute the sausage, add the spinach and cook down. add eggs and you have a high protein dinner for under 500 calories. Mushrooms are a good substitute for spinach and 1 oz. cheese can be in place of one of the sausages.
  • alisont91
    alisont91 Posts: 54
    Options
    This site has some good recipes and they have 500-calorie dinners for seafood, vegetarian, chicken etc...
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/eatingwell_s_500_calorie_dinner_challenge
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my homemade chicken sweet potato chili. So yummy and only 257 calories per serving. It's a complete meal with good protein and carbs.

This sounds so yummy. I love sweet poratoes. Would you mind sharing this recipe with me?