low carb or caloric deficit

Replies

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    I love carbs way too much to cut them back/out. I eat carbs and just stay within my calorie goal and I consistently lose.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Calorie deficit is ultimately what makes you lose weight. People like myself, control calories by lowering carb intake because carbs are so high calorie - 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram for protein. Most people eat hundreds and hundreds of grams of carbs a day, so for some, lowering this lowers calories, and helps them lose weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Calorie deficit is ultimately what makes you lose weight. People like myself, control calories by lowering carb intake because carbs are so high calorie - 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram for protein. Most people eat hundreds and hundreds of grams of carbs a day, so for some, lowering this lowers calories, and helps them lose weight.

I think you are confusing carbs and fat. Carbs are also 4 calories per gram. Many just don't find that to be as much volume or as filling as protein.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    I did Atkins for a brief period years ago and lost some weight...but probably because I got so sick of eating eggs and bunless burgers that I stopped eating as much.
    I did no carbs for a month about a year ago and lost nothing. It's CICO.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Calorie deficit is immutable. How you get there is up to you.

I personally have lost 80lbs and am currently at 7% body fat while eating 250-400 grams of carbs per day.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    For those responding, do you only eat complex carbs most of the time?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    No idea - I don't make any distinction between them as it's irrelevant to me. Complex carbs I actually find the most filling food, far more satiating than high protein or high fat foods.

Ate 615 grams of carbs last Saturday and was still in a calorie deficit.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,846 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Calories. I've lost around 40lbs by eating a diet consisting of about 60% carbs. It wasn't slower than other weight losses reported here. The only reason people say low carb helps them lose weight is because if you eliminate carbs from your diet you lose some stored water weight. It is not fat, but simply water.

So I had 45-50 lbs of stored water? Good to know, lol.

OP - some people find low carb diets helpful because they can help make it easier (effortless even, for some, I'd count myself in that group) to create a deficit by helping reduce/regulate appetite. If it's something you are interested in trying I'd suggest reading up on various low carb plans, make sure you get enough fat, make sure you get plenty of salt especially in the first few weeks, and give yourself sometime to adjust. I committed to a six week trial (figured that was long enough to adjust and see if I was getting the results I wanted, but short enough that if I didn't like it there was a clear, and close, endpoint). That was three years ago. I'd never go back to high carb again.

Oh come on, that's just plain silly. I wrote 'some water weight'. You lost weight because you ate less calories than your body needs, not because you were eating keto.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016

Nope, I eat them all :D Yesterday my carbs came from white rice, veggies, pretzels, oats, granola, a banana and a beer. Today my carbs came from bread (Subway), veggies, banana/berries, yogurt and a cookie. And possibly another beer/ice cream if I make an 'adult' root beer float tonight.
  • ReaderGirl3
    mom22dogs wrote: »

No, carbs are only 4 calories per gram. Same with protein. Fat's the one with 9 calories per gram.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Which is more effective for fat loss...caloric deficit or low carb diet?

Why not do both?
    You could cycle the carbs as well, high carbs on training days and low on rest days.

Just depends on you and how your body responds to carbs.

Though a deficit is what ultimately leads to fat loss.

• xAmeenahx
    xAmeenahx Posts: 34 Member
    Approximately how many grams of carbs do you all eat everyday?
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited May 2016
    asuxxur27 wrote: »

Usually between 150-300 grams a day. Yesterday I ate 1,679 calories/261 carbs.

eta: I don't pay any attention to my macros breakdown and only focus on calories.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member

I've averaged 257g over the past 7 days
  • skygraham01
    skygraham01 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    My thought is to journal, see where you are getting both your calories and carbs. I have been working with a Dr. who specializes in weight loss and health issues associated with obesity. She has me currently eating 100g of carb max which by simply changing the type of carb from cereals, breads and pastas to fruit and veggies has naturally decreased my carbs but also my calories. We are not all created equal, we are all unique beautiful individuals and what works for one may not work for another. Look for where you can improve by examining what you do now.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Calories. I've lost around 40lbs by eating a diet consisting of about 60% carbs. It wasn't slower than other weight losses reported here. The only reason people say low carb helps them lose weight is because if you eliminate carbs from your diet you lose some stored water weight. It is not fat, but simply water.

So I had 45-50 lbs of stored water? Good to know, lol.

OP - some people find low carb diets helpful because they can help make it easier (effortless even, for some, I'd count myself in that group) to create a deficit by helping reduce/regulate appetite. If it's something you are interested in trying I'd suggest reading up on various low carb plans, make sure you get enough fat, make sure you get plenty of salt especially in the first few weeks, and give yourself sometime to adjust. I committed to a six week trial (figured that was long enough to adjust and see if I was getting the results I wanted, but short enough that if I didn't like it there was a clear, and close, endpoint). That was three years ago. I'd never go back to high carb again.

Oh come on, that's just plain silly. I wrote 'some water weight'. You lost weight because you ate less calories than your body needs, not because you were eating keto.

I wasn't eating keto, just a standard LCHF diet (still am, fwiw). You said the "only" reason people say LC helps them lose weight is because they lose some stored water. Unless I was a walking fish tank, I didn't just lose some stored water. Yes, I was at a calorie deficit. LC helped me control my appetite so I could create a deficit without trying, calorie counting, and best of all, without going hungry. It wasn't just about "some water weight". That's all.

• moniquebravo1011
    moniquebravo1011 Posts: 22 Member

About 210g
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    If you have metabolic damage, high blood sugar or diabetic go low carb if you don't suffer from any of that stuff than eat normally WITHOUT deficit and just use exercise to create the loss for you. Long time caloric deficit will lead to more problems of being skinny fat, slow metabolism etc... Good luck!
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited May 2016
    If you have metabolic damage, high blood sugar or diabetic go low carb if you don't suffer from any of that stuff than eat normally WITHOUT deficit and just use exercise to create the loss for you. Long time caloric deficit will lead to more problems of being skinny fat, slow metabolism etc... Good luck!

Nope.