low carb or caloric deficit

Options

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There's an article today on Biolayne.com talking about this:

https://www.biolayne.com/articles/nutrition/paleo-made-fat-pop-tarts-got-shredded/
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    For those responding, do you only eat complex carbs most of the time?

Brussels sprouts. Instant oatmeal. Little Debbies. A lot of them.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    if you don't suffer from any of that stuff than eat normally WITHOUT deficit and just use exercise to create the loss for you.

Do this and you're gonna have a bad time. Also, it doesn't make sense because you'd still be in deficit regardless.
    Long time caloric deficit will lead to more problems of being skinny fat, slow metabolism etc... Good luck!

This makes no sense as well. Calorie deficit is always required to lose fat. Preserving lean muscle mass is what is required to avoid being skinny fat.

• blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Dont let these people fool you that eating all this junk is ok and still lose weight, although it maybe true make sure you don't have any of the issues that prevent that for working for you. Caloric deficit by way of exercise allows your body to still get its nutrients without sacrificing muscle. Caloric deficit by eating with exercise will cause you to lose the initial weightloss then you will stall and plateau because you would have lowered your metabolism. Then they will tell you that eating even more less with more exercise will help SMH.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Dont let these people fool you that eating all this junk is ok and still lose weight, although it maybe true make sure you don't have any of the issues that prevent that for working for you. Caloric deficit by way of exercise allows your body to still get its nutrients without sacrificing muscle. Caloric deficit by eating with exercise will cause you to lose the initial weightloss then you will stall and plateau because you would have lowered your metabolism. Then they will tell you that eating even more less with more exercise will help SMH.

The nutrients a sedentary person needs come up to something like barely 700 calories + micronutrients. That's plenty of room left to be "eating all this junk" with no problems.
    You don't know what you're talking about.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    #proofisinthepudding
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    #proofisinthepudding

Yep ;)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I think carbs have a lot to do with how lean you are. But calories are the overall winner here. Losing weight = eating less calories than you burn.

www.burnbodyfat.sendlane.com/view/burning-fat gives a good explanation.

Can you go more in depth to what you mean by "carbs have a lot to do with how lean you are"?
  • billsrule2015
    billsrule2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I lost 80 lbs on Atkins back in 2005, not having counted 1 calorie! I feel the whole notion of calorie in, vs calorie out, or every calorie is equal is foolish. Gary Taubes has written many books on this subject, and basically sugar, carbs, etcetera are the main reason for obesity. I am about to go back to a low carb Atkins lifestyle as I was never hungry, weight fell off with little effort or exercise, and the only reason I didn't stick with it is because I went back to eating the high carb, high sugar foods and fell off the wagon.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It is true that CICO works and carbs have calories that, if measured and recorded accurately, work with CICO. The difference of perception arises in the digesting of protein from any source. 40% of the energy available in protein, the stuff counted in CICO, is used up simply digesting the protein. That is, you get the elimination of 40% of the calories in protein without having to do more exercising. It's just enough exercise that you swallowed it. Carbs on the other hand are efficiently converted either slowly or quickly into energy used by the brain and the muscles to do the living of life, and almost 100% of the available energy in carbs is available for the brain and body to use as energy. For carbs, you must account for the active use of all of it. For protein, you only have to account for the active use of 60% of it. If you wanted to reduce your logged weight of prime rib by 40% so that your math treats protein and carbs equally, you can. I'd rather eat the prime rib.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Both. Simultaneously.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    asuxxur27 wrote: »
    Approximately how many grams of carbs do you all eat everyday?

25 net - 50ish total. Gotta get those veggies in!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    asuxxur27 wrote: »
    Approximately how many grams of carbs do you all eat everyday?

Made me curious as I only really concern myself with hitting protein and fat minimums and don't worry about where carbs fall within my calorie allowance.....
    Seems my range is from about 140g on a low calorie day with highest of 866g on a big cycling day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    LOL? Huh?
    I cut nothing out of my diet. Nothing, and I lost over 80lbs. All I did was create a calorie deficit by weighting and logging what I ate.

A calorie deficit can be anywhere from 250 calories less than TDEE (maintenance) to 1000 calories less. Obviously, the more one has to lose, the higher the deficit. For some, even burning 250 cals in exercise is tough, especially if they aren't able to exercise. Using exercise only for a deficit is ridiculous, since there are many who weren't able to exercise from injury or illness that have lost weight with a calorie deficit without exercise just fine. Choosing the proper deficit ensures one doesn't lose as much muscle mass. It's up to the individual to chose the appropriate deficit.