Protein powder??

Options
My friend told me that after you do an intense workout, especially strength training you should use protein powder to support your muscles. Is this something I should be doing when trying to lose weight?

Replies

• ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    id like to know too ...
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    Short answer yes.

It wont make you gain weight. It is actually the opposite, it will give your muscles the necessary protein and amino acids it needs to recover after your workout.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You can. I do sporadically use one.

I mix it into a berry smoothie (low fat vanilla yogurt, natural applesauce, frozen fruit and ONE scoop of the powder).

It really depends on how intense your work outs are and if you're getting enough protein in the rest of your day too. MFP's goal for daily protein is fairly low so I always shoot to go over on it. But the protein powder does have extra calories which is why I use one scoop for a boost of protein after a long run or weight lifting.

The smoothie is also a good meal replacement when I'm in a hurry.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Sort of a misconception. When doing quick burns of energy, like weight lifting, your body uses up carbs as energy. You want to resupply with carbs. Protein shakes seem to have gotten really popular in the mid 80's and 90's. Protein is cheap and plentiful. If you really want to recover, look for something with at least a 3:1 carb to protein ratio.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be protein powder. It needs to be protein. You can eat it too - you don't have to drink it.
    So if you know that you're going to be eating dinner/lunch/breakfast right after your workout, make sure your meal has protein in it and you'll be fine. (FYI - all of your meals should have protein in them.)
  • ochigurl
    ochigurl Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes definately!!! Protein helps build muscle and eats at fat....! After a good workout it gets your body absorbing the protein and breaks that fat down instead of store it... I was on a routine for a while with a trainer and he was all about the protein! A scoop after I workout as well as a scoop during the day, usually in the morning around 930... If I eat breakfast around 730 anyway!

Hope this helps a little!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Will that help after a long cardio exercise too or is it specifically more for strength training?
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My trainer, who is VERY built, told me that we don't need to, we can get our protein in other ways. I drink a non-fat chocolate milk and have a Chobani yogurt after I workout and it gives me about 30 g of protein, which is what he said I should be aiming for after my workout. :flowerforyou:
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be protein powder. It needs to be protein. You can eat it too - you don't have to drink it.
    So if you know that you're going to be eating dinner/lunch/breakfast right after your workout, make sure your meal has protein in it and you'll be fine. (FYI - all of your meals should have protein in them.)

I like this. I don't know much about powders or shakes, but I can't imagine that magical fix is absolutely good for you. I'd do real research if you really want to know.
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    You need to eat lean protein period. about 100 g a day if you want harder leaner muscle...powders can bloat you so stick to egg whites, chicken breats, lean turkey, etc, about 4 oz a serving lordsfitness@aol,con more info Tim L BS MA Pycd Candidate CPT
  • Jackie0127
    Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you read on nutricion info. Too much sugar is bad. Although you are trying to lose weight, protein helps your muscle rebuild the micro tears that form when working out, specially weight lifting. Make yourself a smoothie. Strawberries, bananas low fat milk. Just make sure you limit the amount your drink, since sometimes, it can add up to the calories found in a meal, and you want to avoid those. Remember, high protein, low sugar.

Hope it helps!
  • bashomatsuo
    Options
    Definitely. There are many brands offering all sorts of extras in the mix, but the basic fact is that protein contains the essential building blocks for muscle. This will not make you bulk up, as that requires a strict "bulking" diet. If you are losing, "cutting", the powder will enable better recovery and that the weight lost will not be from the muscles. It should be taken within 20 minutes after working out.

I take a basic powder mixed with green "matchta" tea and a banana. Yummy!

Many sports and health magazines will give you the low down on the powders. Note that most of these also say that "lifting" weights is better than steady state cardio. I, personally, mix a few KM run with some lifting and some HIIT training on the elliptical followed by a run back home.

Regards,

Basho
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My friend told me that after you do an intense workout, especially strength training you should use protein powder to support your muscles. Is this something I should be doing when trying to lose weight?

it helps replenish your muscles, you can always have chocolate milk after as well....I use pure protein 100% whey protein, and have it with almond milk....its yummy!
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Yes you should have protein straight after a workout, the reason most people use powders (milkshakes) is because its a liquid and gets to your muscles faster, if you were to eat protein after a workout as a solid, it would take 2-3 hours for it to get to your muscles.
    You should eat your carbs after a workout because it will restore glycogen level and help restore your muscles also.
    So if you can save your carbs for after a workout and get some liquid protein for fast recovery.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Will that help after a long cardio exercise too or is it specifically more for strength training?
    Strength training.
  • tizzy22
    tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yup you should, but it should be incorporated into your daily caloric intake. protein powder is basically food for your muscles and it helps them repair after stretching them out or working them. It's a good idea. I really like the Leanfit protein from costco, it dissolves well and is only 110 calories per scoop. I can even take it in plain water and it's still yummy! At 29.99 a pop it's a great deal!
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    I use Isopure (Dutch Chocolate)and I love the taste, add a Banana and even Yummier
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    when in doubt always go back to your text " when caloric intake goes down, protein requirement goes up" " it is not the requirement of the body for protein, rather for amino acids"
    free amino acids
    assuming the caloric intake is adequate, being 2/3 or more protein from animal meats, the RDA suggested for adults is 0.8 g per pound of body weight.. a 200 pound man would need 161 g, a 150 pound woman would need 120 g . Thoms Baechle, Edd, Roger Earle, MA, Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning NSCA edition 2000 by the way, these researchers are a scientific doctor and a MA in education in fitness... too many wannabe fitness "experts" out there