Eating back my calories from working out

Options
So, does anyone have any thoughts about eating back calories burned? I never know if I should just eat my original allotted amount or go with what MFP says I can eat.

Replies

• kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat some back, never all. From all I've read exercise burns are often way overestimated. Try eating half back for a couple weeks. If you're still losing at an ok rate, you know you're ok. If you maintain or gain, cut back to eating a third or a quarter of them.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you want the energy for your normal everyday activity and a good work out I would suggest you eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
    Not doing so can lead to under fuelling your body. When you are under fuelled you will be inclined to sacrifice everyday activity to perform the exercises. Lowering your everyday activity will lower your calorie needs. Lowering your calorie needs will lower your weightloss.

Eat to have your body and mind performing optimally while still losing weight.

Cheers, h.
  • ErinSchuurmans
    ErinSchuurmans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys :smile:
  • JenniferReynolds1
    JenniferReynolds1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am glad y'all answered that! I was wondering the same thing.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    When I was significantly overweight, I didn't need to eat my exercise calories. Now that I'm a lot smaller, and my calories allowance is smaller, and my activity levels way up, I have to eat my exercise calories or I'd starve.

I also don't think it's entirely coincidental that I needed my exercise calories about the same time I started weighing, not measuring, my food.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only eat back my exercise calories if I have done a specific activity, not just what I earn from my Fitbit after I have surpassed my Lightly Active status. I walk/run 5.5 miles every afternoon. I use Runkeeper and my Fitbit to monitor my activity. I do not log what my Runkeeper gives me because my Fitbit is already synced to MFP, but both apps give me the same calories burned. I rarely eat back all the calories, but I always eat back some.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So, does anyone have any thoughts about eating back calories burned? I never know if I should just eat my original allotted amount or go with what MFP says I can eat.

I never eat mine back just because i think of working out as the effort of getting thin you know and eating them back seems detrimental to that.
    That said if i want to do something bad like go out for dinner and slurge a bit (only does this twice) i make sure to do a huge gym sessions first.
    I think it also depends what your calories are coming from in my opinion. If it's day to day stuff like walking about or cleaning etc i defo wouldnt eat them back but if it was a workout's calories id be more open to that.
    That said i try to maintain my macros as close as possible when i exercise in particular protein because you dont want any muscle dissappearing into fat.
  • ahmedsandouka991
    ahmedsandouka991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depending on your setting if you choose active or slightly active then don't eat it back because it's in the formula of the calculation. Hope this helps
  • Myjourney2345
    Myjourney2345 Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started by eating back 30-45% of my calories, but now I eat back most of my calories on days I workout and burn 400-500 calories per workout session and average 8,000-10,000 steps a day, and still seem to lose weight. I'd rather spend more time working out without feeling lethargic and burn more calories than working out less and burn less calories (I'm 27, 5'4.5, 142.4 pounds). My baseline per day to lose one pound is 1,450 calories (without exercise). On days I exercise I consume 1,700-2,000 calories a day (on those days I burn between 2,300-2,500). On the one day I don't exercise and only walk 12,000+ steps I eat 1,600-1,650. I also weigh all of my food and use a heart rate monitor to track the caloric burn during exercise and daily steps (the Polarm400 is great!). I notice that if my daily caloric deficit is bigger than 600 I feel deprived and turn to bingeing.