C25K beginners?

Options
RoteBook
RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
I've just finished week 1 of c25k (for the 3rd time in 10 years, but we won't get into that). My husband has good intentions of starting with me, but so far he hasn't made the time.

I would really like to connect with others who are starting or about to start the c25k. I'm having a hard time staying motivated to actually get out the door.

Replies

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Only one person can get you out that door: you.

Your husband can't shoulder the burden of motivating you. And neither can internet strangers. Anything anyone else says or does can't make you want to do it, or want to quit. Your attitude, how you accept praise, or criticism, will set the stage for whether your 3rd attempt at couch-2-5k is successful.

That said, i'm in week 8 now. When i started, i struggled with the 60-second runs. I was trying to run too fast. I wasn't breathing properly. I had poor form. But i used the c25k program as a training platform, and i used the forums here and elsewhere to learn how to correct my approach to running.

Now, i've completed a handful of runs over 20 minutes long. My most recent was 28 minutes with no walking. I've also completed my first 5k (walk/run), and have signed up for another next week.

If you buckle down and do it, and stick to the program, your third attempt at c25k could be the one that leads you to success. And then maybe that success will inspire your husband, or others, to want to make you proud and make themselves feel good, too.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    Only one person can get you out that door: you.

This.
    You have to want it and do it. I run at 4 am because I know life can't get in the way at that (ridiculously early) time of day. I do it because I want it for me. Each day, each week of c25k is full of surprises-you have to get out there and meet the challenges head on :smiley:
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    for the 3rd time in 10 years, but we won't get into that
    Forget about those and focus on NOW. You can and WILL do this!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing week 6 and can only say that C25k has allowed me to accomplish something I never thought I could do - run. It's a fantastic feeling, and I hope you get to experience that. Good luck! We'll be rooting for you.
  • RoteBook
    Options
    You're right-my first post did come off seriously whiny and entitled, didn't it?

I promise that I'm not expecting other people to give me motivation. :) im looking for more of a virtual running partner.
  • TheRealBmillz
    TheRealBmillz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I stumbled across this post and thought I would weigh in with some motivation.

I started C25K for the 3rd and final time (hopefully), about a year ago and finally made my way all the way through it. My whole life I despised running, even when I played sports it was my least favorite part (kind of funny because of course you have to run in sports). However, I made way through C25K and now I can say running is one of my favorite hobbies. I don't always look forward to doing it, but once I finish a run the rewards far outweigh the soreness. I feel as if I have accomplished greatness, even when I am not so happy with my pace or distance.

I just got back from a run a little bit ago, so this is most likely a ramble because all I want to do is shower. Hopefully, you find some good in this!
  • RoteBook
    Options
    I did week 2, day 2 this morning! I struggled a bit with planning when I could go-it's in the 80's here today and my morning was packed. So I set out my clothes last night and woke up early.

Bonus-my older kid woke up while I was out running and got himself completely ready for school without any nagging. He was ready to go before I even came back from the run.
  • KimOrley
    KimOrley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. You'll amaze yourself with your achievements each week. While I was following the programme I spent a lot of time on the Health Unlocked c25k forum. The folks there will support you every step of the way. They're a super friendly community x
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Work the program, repeat days if you have to, go slow, and done be put off when a particular day seems daunting-you'll amaze yourself!