how much exercise ????

Options
So, I have not lost any weight in almost two months. I read if you cut your caloric intake by 500 of your RMR youll lose weight without even exercising. So, ive lowered my calories to 1340 a day and am planning on doing hiit days a week, zumba one day a week, and weights 2days a week. Any advice on what to change or add or if its a good plan?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose?

What are your stats (weight, height, age, activity level without exercise figured in)?

You need to cut the 500 off of your total daily expenditure, not your RMR. I believe that you are likely cutting your calories needlessly low by going to 1340.

How long have you been counting calories and trying to lose weight?
  • 2015fitnessmode
    2015fitnessmode Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I need to lose at least 60lbs. I am 5'2 220lbs.
  • 2015fitnessmode
    Options
    I get so confused with so much contradicting info. And each swears they are correct. Im just lost. Ive been counting calories steady for almost 2 months. Ive cut out soda, cut down on dairy including milk and cheese. Trying to lower carbs as well.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake (i.e. food scale/measuring cups/eyeballing portions)? If you aren't losing weight, you're likely eating at maintenance.
  • 2015fitnessmode
    Options
    Measuring cups. And if i can, scan the barcode on MFP
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale. Volume can vary wildly but calories by mass is pretty consistent. You may be overeating without realizing.
  • 2015fitnessmode
    Options
    Thanks.
  • effiebachelor
    effiebachelor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My opinion is you should eat at least 4 times a day and maybe snacks in between. Eat the right foods though. Limit your starches and bad fat. You SHOULD Never Feel Hungry. Try to exercise 4 days a week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Put your stats in MFP to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. This will give you the number of calories to eat to lose your weekly goal.
    Get a digital scale and weigh everything you eat. Measure liquids with cups and spoons.
    When you exercise enter it in MFP and eat back 50-75% of these calories, MFP overestimates.
    You may have to adjust how many exercise calories you eat back to get your weekly loss goal, but do eat them back so your activity level is sustainable long term.

Cheers, h.
  • APreciousF
    APreciousF Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You have to take your whole dynamic into consideration. Age, sex, height, weight, etc. while using tools like MFP and Fitbit will give you the clearest possible scenarios to reach your goal at your own pace. It takes the guess work out of it and you won't have to wonder if what worked for someone else will work for you. You are entitled to your own "best shot".
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    As mentioned ...

Enter your information into MFP. Select the fact that you're sedentary. Select the amount of weight you'd like to lose each week (i.e. 1 lb/week). MFP will give you the amount of calories you need to consume to accomplish that.

Weigh your food. Log everything. Be accurate.

Enter your exercise ... but know that MFP and other calculators calculate calories burned a bit on the high side. Round down, choose smaller amounts of time or choose slower speeds than you think you're doing. Then only eat about 50-75% of your exercise calories back.

That's the approach I took starting in February 2015 ... and I lost 25 kg (55 lbs) in 8 months. :)