Thinking about taking my food scale to Golden Corral tonight

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If everyone is going to be more focused on her scale the ENTIRE time they're out to dinner, maybe they need to learn how to have better conversations with each other.

Hey, look!

Even more reason in this thread.

:highfive:
  • pwoodroof
    pwoodroof Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My obsession with knowing my consumption says this is a great suggestion scientifically. It could be amusing to try socially.....it depends on whether your eight friends have a sense of humour or not. If they are relaxed about it, give it a go....you have nothing to lose but bar in mind what was said on this thread about the ingredients.....the fat, preservatives and artificial processed ingredients are likely to be nutritionally pretty bad and you probably won't know what they are, so the exercise becomes a bit futile and meaningless
  • jofjltncb6
    edited May 2016
    Options
    pwoodroof wrote: »
    My obsession with knowing my consumption says this is a great suggestion scientifically. It could be amusing to try socially.....it depends on whether your eight friends have a sense of humour or not. If they are relaxed about it, give it a go....you have nothing to lose but bar in mind what was said on this thread about the ingredients.....the fat, preservatives and artificial processed ingredients are likely to be nutritionally pretty bad and you probably won't know what they are, so the exercise becomes a bit futile and meaningless

DYENutritionalInformation?

Also, why would fat be "nutritionally pretty bad"? What even are "artificial processed ingredients" that they would use that aren't in other similar food? This sounds like some broscience fearmongering to me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy @jofjltncb6 posted here. I don't know why, but he truly feels like the voice of reason.

That's it. The world is ending.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One buffet won't hurt you. I eat 1,400-1,600 calories a day. Last week I ate well over 3,000 calories at a Chinese buffet (I generally use food scales but I can estimate by cup sizes too). Didn't do any damage.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Oh this to me is such a No No on so many levels and with 8 people, 8 personalities, 8 opinions, 8 embarrassing moments, 8 head in faces and 8 sighs...

To do this in front of friends, nahh.. I don't think if even if there is a friend at the table that knows my deepest darkest secrets would I do this in front them.

Why not just go and be with friends and not shackle your self with the food scale? Terrible idea.

For science, why not try getting to go plates and weighing at home?

Many of you seem to think too much about what others think of you.

Nope not me... I am way too old to care... This is why I think the whole idea is just silly. It is a buffet, you are supposed to over eat and not worry about the food scale!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I'm so happy @jofjltncb6 posted here. I don't know why, but he truly feels like the voice of reason.

That's it. The world is ending.

x6kddw0wwaqv.gif
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would be more embarrassed about being at Golden Corral.
    Never again. D:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I would be more embarrassed about being at Golden Corral.
    Never again. D:

$1.74 billion of shame last year, right?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Personally, if it's just about the experiment, I would do it at home. There's no reason for a restaurant to be the place to just practice for fun.

I think the only reason I would consider doing that is if I absolutely needed to in order to keep the habit of doing it...like going to the gym- missing one day can destroy a whole week. But it doesn't sound like that's the situation you're describing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it . I think it would look silly and OTT in a restaruant

This sort of experiment can be done at home - eye ball something and then weigh to see how good your guess is.

I like buffets and I just make sensible choices and don't go overboard - and, yes, guestimate sizes.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    All these people acting like GC is the end of the world.
    My god.

I'm doin' Chinese buffet tonight. I'm a sinner.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My plan is to see if I can get close to approximate amounts of portion sizes.

If that's the plan then can't you do this at home? You don't even need GC food - just put something on your plate, weigh it, and see how good you are at eyeballing portions.

I wouldn't bring a food scale because I feel it would be a distraction from the social experience. A little like pulling your phone out and checking Facebook during dinner.
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I see you're going to do this anyway, but I'm all for it. I like the idea of trying to figure out if you can eye-ball your meal portions when you're out. When you're at home it's a whole different experience. There's no rush, there's not as many major temptations to eat as much as everyone else, etc.

Go for it. :-) I'll be interested to see what you come up with. And, to be honest, if anyone has a problem with it, it's their problem - not yours. Why should you feel shame about doing the right things for you? You won't be sitting there all night crunching numbers and not participating in the conversation, will you? That's just silly. Weighing food doesn't take three hours, so where's the harm?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    My god.

According to this thread, you should probably feel ashamed.

Do you?
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    My god.

According to this thread, you should probably feel ashamed.

Do you?

Sometimes it feels so good to be bad!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would totally do this. I don't care what others think. Life is too short for that bs. It's your money, your mouth, your food. Unless your friends are real downers, why would they care either. If they care or don't think it's funny, F 'em, just like everyone else in this thread that feels the need to get on your as* about the scale or going to Golden Corral. I will be very interested to see how this turns out for you!