Thinking about taking my food scale to Golden Corral tonight

Options
So I know this may seem obsessive to carry the food scale out to a buffet, but I want to try an experiment if you will.

My plan is to see if I can get close to approximate amounts of portion sizes.
I'm going to go collect my food on the plate and then bring it back to our table and weigh it.
I know from experience no one really pays anyone else any mind because everyone is too busy grubbing.

My friend thinks people will stare and think I'm crazy. They probably will but so what. I'm doing this to see if I've mastered the eye-balling of the food. I don't want to embarrass anyone else who's out trying to enjoy their meal, but I feel like I'm the one who should feel embarrassed, not them.

Will this make my friends feel uncomfortable with their meals? There's 8 of us going so I can't ask everyone would they care. I just really want to try it for science.

Would any of you do this, or have you weighed your meal in public?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No. :noway:
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've only been to GC twice (they don't exist in Canada) and I really don't think any of the other customers are going to even notice. I have never taken a scale to out to eat. If it were me doing it, my friend's would probably think I'm weird, but that's about it.
    As you pull out your scale, just say to the group you are doing an experiment for fun.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Urgh duplicate
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.

1. I want to learn how to eat out in a manner I can sustain forever - I won't be taking a scale every time I eat out so I'm not doing it now.

2. I want to enjoy the time with the folks I'm with, focusing on the scale and numbers would take my attention from them and I want them to feel they matter to me.

That's exactly why I want to do the experiment, to learn how to eat with being able to look at my portions. So I'll go get a plate with the portions I think are correct, and then see if I'm close to what I think it should be.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Even if you weigh the food you still don't know what's in it. Things like oil/butter/dressing are very deceiving

This is my thought as well.

I'd never even consider taking my food scale to a restaurant.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Even if you weigh the food you still don't know what's in it. Things like oil/butter/dressing are very deceiving

They have nutrition information on their site though!

It's something I'd probably do for the fun of it, but only if I went alone.. definitely not with friends.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have taken my food scale to a restaurant (for a buffet) and used it. No-one paid any heed to me or what I was doing but I was certainly more mindful of what I was eating.
  • ummijaaz560
    Options
    So should I be ashamed to do it, or is it rude? I don't know I guess I'm just confused because common advice given to people is no matter what, always log your meals.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.

1. I want to learn how to eat out in a manner I can sustain forever - I won't be taking a scale every time I eat out so I'm not doing it now.

2. I want to enjoy the time with the folks I'm with, focusing on the scale and numbers would take my attention from them and I want them to feel they matter to me.

That's exactly why I want to do the experiment, to learn how to eat with being able to look at my portions. So I'll go get a plate with the portions I think are correct, and then see if I'm close to what I think it should be.

@hhazzouri makes a good point though - the hidden oils etc are still impossible to know. But if you want to do it, do it! As a number crunching geek I'd be interested to see what you find out!

• ummijaaz560
    Options
    I wouldn't.

@hhazzouri makes a good point though - the hidden oils etc are still impossible to know. But if you want to do it, do it! As a number crunching geek I'd be interested to see what you find out!

I'm a geek too!
  • sindirella21
    sindirella21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love this idea and I would totally do it! Although it's also exactly the type of behavior my friends would expect from me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I weigh stuff at home every day. I don't go to buffets though. I would probably only do it if I went on my own not with a group.
    I wouldn't care if someone else at my table did though as long as they didn't make a big deal about doing it (announcements, apologies, shifting the conversation to weight tracking) or spent the whole time weighing stuff and not engaging in other conversation.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not happening in my world.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!! You will start some fun conversations