Thinking about taking my food scale to Golden Corral tonight

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    I wouldn't even be eating at the Golden Corral. I can't think of anything to eat there that wouldn't taste better somewhere else.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Nothing wrong with my golden corral, relax ;)
  • ummijaaz560
    We are supposed to be a supportive community here. She is going with EIGHT other people. Is she supposed to just cut herself off from her friends because they want to eat somewhere that YOU don't deem acceptable? Address the question at hand and keep the hating to yourself.

I don't mind, it's just food. We just want to hangout lol!
  • ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    This probably isn't helpful, but maybe you could take some in a to-go box and weigh it at home?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    In, for science.....
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I don't know anything about that restaurant, and I wouldn't take a scale - I would feel uncomfortable and I don't think my friends round too.
    If you want to test your skills at eyeballing food quantities (which is a good idea), I don't understand why you don't do that at home??

To me this just comes across as a smug attention/seeking "look at me, I'm so careful about what I eat, I even weigh my food in a restaurant" exercise. As though you are making a point about how everyone else is pigging out - though that seems judgemental too, I don't see that around me when I eat at a buffet.

But hey, I won't be there - if you know your friends won't feel belittled or embarrassed, then go for it.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    I have a small scale that fits in my hand and weighs up to 50 grams. I've used it in restaurants to measure out a reasonable portion of French fries, but I use it discreetly and would never use it when out with a group of friends because food is such a personal thing and people can get weird about it. If I were with a friend that I knew was cool with it, that would be different.

I would advise you to try your experiment on a day when you're out on your own or with a friend or two who won't judge and already know your plan.

That said, I'd love to hear your results!
  • sindirella21
    sindirella21 Posts: 60 Member
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    That said, I'd love to hear your results!

Yes. This. You must promise to post tomorrow what happens!
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    I wouldn't, not with 8 other people. It seems like becoming the center of attention. And, to be fair, you can learn to eyeball amounts at home, if you're trying to see if you're right. It doesn't need to be tested at a restaurant with 8 other people. I'd understand more if you were trying to see if a restaurant portion was what they listed. If you want to, it's up to you, but I wouldn't.
  • ummijaaz560
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about that restaurant, and I wouldn't take a scale - I would feel uncomfortable and I don't think my friends round too.
    If you want to test your skills at eyeballing food quantities (which is a good idea), I don't understand why you don't do that at home??

To me this just comes across as a smug attention/seeking "look at me, I'm so careful about what I eat, I even weigh my food in a restaurant" exercise. As though you are making a point about how everyone else is pigging out - though that seems judgemental too, I don't see that around me when I eat at a buffet.

But hey, I won't be there - if you know your friends won't feel belittled or embarrassed, then go for it.

I don't care what people eat. What's wrong with saying that everyone one around me is too busy grubbing to care what I'm doing? You don't see people around you eating at a buffet?
    So not judging anyone, that's the point of my enquiry of asking how would you feel about it.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    ab6046 wrote: »
    This probably isn't helpful, but maybe you could take some in a to-go box and weigh it at home?

You can't do that at all you can eat buffets.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited May 2016
    You asked how people would feel, and that's my response - to me it would come across as though you were being all food-conscious and that everyone else was eating too much.
    As I said, if you want to practice eyeballing serving sizes you could do that at home just as well, that is what I would choose to do.

I'm not familiar with the term "grubbing" so I can't comment on that.
  • ummijaaz560
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ab6046 wrote: »

You can't do that at all you can eat buffets.

I think some buffets let you pay for a takeout container? You can fill up for a certain amount of money.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    OP, take the scale and do what it is that you need to do to give yourself piece of mind, start conversations at the table, have a laugh, be embarrassed or not, but just go and make sure you spend time with your friends and not too much on the food obsessiveness as it might get old after a while at the table!

There will be eye rolls from everywhere in the restaurant near you! If you can take it, more power to ya! Enjoy your science project!