Your local running store is probably full of it

Options
I see a lot of running questions being answered by "have you gotten fitted at a local running store by an expert?" While proper footwear is important when you start a running program, you should take any "expert" advice with a massive, enormous grain of salt. Here's the reason:

http://tinyurl.com/6ddcd9v

There's a link to a study in the article about how prescribing shoes based on pronation type is "overly simplistic and potentially injurious":

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/9/715.abstract

Other studies that show that prescribing shoes based on your arch type is total bunk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20576837
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20117594
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387413

Replies

• nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    I couldn't get the link to work - but if we aren't supposed to be fitted by a runner's store, what is the suggestion to get shoes that work well for you? The wrong types have given me shin splints until I changed them...
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    bump
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The thing about the running stores is they encourage/require you to run around the block in the shoes you are considering. This is a great way to weed out those shoes which do not feel good.

All I know is I got fitted at one about nine years ago, 16,000+ miles later, I'm still happily running in that same model of shoe...
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    I couldn't get the link to work - but if we aren't supposed to be fitted by a runner's store, what is the suggestion to get shoes that work well for you? The wrong types have given me shin splints until I changed them...

Go to a running store that has employees that are open minded, and more importantly, one that has a good return policy. Let the employee fit you as far as actual fit goes, but ask to see several different neutral and stability options, without letting them check your gait or your arches. Try them on and run in them around the store. If they don't immediately feel right, try on the next pair.

Take them home, and do several runs in them. If you encounter any problems, take them back, and start the process over. (That's where the good return policy comes in.)
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was fitted for my last pair of running shoes and my knee pain is gone that I had in my old pair. I will always get fitted for my running shoes for this reason.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The worst pair of shoes I ever owned was a result of getting professionally fitted at a running store. I couldn't walk/run 1 mile without getting blisters and that has never happened with any shoes I picked out on my own.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    The other thing about going to a running store to get fitted is that most of the time the people who work there run, like to run, and want you to succeed in running, too. So, they are willing to start with a recommendation and then change until it works for you. You have to start somewhere and looking and pronation/supination is just one thing they consider when fitting shoes. They also look at where your foot is striking, the movement of your ankle, where you hold your balance... Why would you not go to someone who has had personal experience?
  • arc918
    Options
    I see a lot of running questions being answered by "have you gotten fitted at a local running store by an expert?" While proper footwear is important when you start a running program, you should take any "expert" advice with a massive, enormous grain of salt.

Question for the original poster:

How much do you run?
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for 16 years and I agree with this. The research is fairly new, but it's now opposing that you buy a shoe based on pronation for the reason that if you naturally pronate, then that's what your foot should do because it's natural for your body. Buying a shoe for pronation is like trying to fix something that isn't really broken. I've recently switched to a more minimalist shoe...not the gloves, but a shoe that has less of a heel drop and keeps me more on my toes. It's definitely caused some soreness because it's working new muscles, but I alternate it with a shoe that is also neutral with a little more cushion to give my shins some rest.

Bottom line is it's most important to do your research...you'll always find conflicting studies...but to take the facts and weigh them for yourself to determine what is best for you. Runner's World is a great site that you can find studies on and links to studies about different shoes. Where I live, we have 2 running specialty stores. I used to shop at one in particular until I went in there and I heard them say they don't carry minimalist shoes because they don't believe in them....not exactly what a consumer needs to hear when shopping. I switched to the store that has more variety in shoe style.
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    The other thing about going to a running store to get fitted is that most of the time the people who work there run, like to run, and want you to succeed in running, too. So, they are willing to start with a recommendation and then change until it works for you. You have to start somewhere and looking and pronation/supination is just one thing they consider when fitting shoes. They also look at where your foot is striking, the movement of your ankle, where you hold your balance... Why would you not go to someone who has had personal experience?

Because the vast majority of "experts" select shoes based on a checklist criteria that is invalid for preventing injury.

In my own anecdotal experience, I've always been fitted for high stability or motion control shoes and then sold inserts. My knee and ankle pains didn't go away until I went to racing flats (which running store "experts" wont prescribe to anyone who they don't consider "biomechanically perfect.")
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly I went to one of these stores locally and it was aweful! They gave me 3 very expensiveoptions, all of which were poor fits. I had terrible shin splints, I had to stop running to get them to go away. Now i just buy whatever is on sale and feels light, and I haven't had an issue since.
  • mynameisnutz
    Options

Question for the original poster:

How much do you run?

As of now, I'm running 30-35 miles a week, but keeping it steady there. Due to the weather of where I live, there are no marathons I can participate in until late fall, but I like to keep that amount of base throughout the year.
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    Bottom line is it's most important to do your research...you'll always find conflicting studies...but to take the facts and weigh them for yourself to determine what is best for you. Runner's World is a great site that you can find studies on and links to studies about different shoes. Where I live, we have 2 running specialty stores. I used to shop at one in particular until I went in there and I heard them say they don't carry minimalist shoes because they don't believe in them....not exactly what a consumer needs to hear when shopping. I switched to the store that has more variety in shoe style.

Exactly. Do your own research, and your own experimentation, and let your dollars do the talking.
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    The bottom line is that YOU need to become the expert about what works for you and not just rely on the shoe store fitting.

Yes!
  • arc918
    Options
    My $.02 - there is NOTHING more useless than running shoe reviews. Just a tired ploy to sell magazines with a bunch of recycled stories (yes, I'm talking to your Runners World). Why on earth would I possibly care if: Dave, a mild over-pronator from Detroit says "they provide nice ride, but are little too forgiving and tight in the toe box?"

All that matters is what feels best on your feet.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The worst pair of shoes I ever owned was a result of getting professionally fitted at a running store. I couldn't walk/run 1 mile without getting blisters and that has never happened with any shoes I picked out on my own.

I find this so strange...I believe you and trust this is what happened but in my experience...they have brought out a few pairs and ultimately I "picked" the pair that felt best to me. I would never ever buy a pair of shoes just because someone else said so unless they also felt really good to me too...I apparantly could wear a Mizuno shoe due to my arch and running style but have always found them so damn uncomfortable even for the walk around the store that there is no way someone could convince me to buy them.

You need to know that the people you are talking to are smart about running....run themselves...and give you more than one choice...(that is a general you not directed at one person
  • mynameisnutz
    Options
    My $.02 - there is NOTHING more useless than running shoe reviews. Just a tired ploy to sell magazines with a bunch of recycled stories (yes, I'm talking to your Runners World). Why on earth would I possibly care if: Dave, a mild over-pronator from Detroit says "they provide nice ride, but are little too forgiving and tight in the toe box?"

All that matters is what feels best on your feet.

Totally agree. Love your sig, BTW.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and got analyzed and fitted. I tested the shoes in the store and parking lot, I liked them okay...so I bought them, I wore them around the house for a day, I went to the grocery store in them (which I do with very pair I have before I run in them) I went for a 2 mile walk in them-they gave me a blister, my achilles was a bit sore after-- a completely new pain for me. I ran in them the next day. I hobbled home...I injured my achilles and was off for 9 weeks.

I then bought a pair of shoes I know do not give me pain- the ones the running store said were ALL wrong for me....they work great. ...so yeah, whatever. I wont go back.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

Same here! I got fitted once and they were the worst/most expensive running shoes I have had. Now I stick with going to the Nike outlet and I try about every pair of shoes and run laps around the store and have yet to have a problem with any of the shoes I have picked out myself. And I can usually get 2 pairs for less than the ones I had fitted at a running store.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

Most running stores will take them back within 30 days with zero or very small restock fee. and I find the price of a good shoe is no worse at my running store than online or other stores.