Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    gp246 wrote: »
    vtman61008 wrote: »
    Good recipes for sweet potato or how to make the sweet potato chips come out crispy? Every time i make them there soft in the middle and burnt on the outside lol

Try dusting in corn starch. Rinse, shake excess, toss in a bag with corn starch, then bake. Makes tofu crispy too!
    Good recipes for sweet potato or how to make the sweet potato chips come out crispy? Every time i make them there soft in the middle and burnt on the outside lol

Try dusting in corn starch. Rinse, shake excess, toss in a bag with corn starch, then bake. Makes tofu crispy too!

Would you find that in most grocery shops? Probably a stupid question lol but I've never come across it before to my knowledge.

Cornstarch is usually in the baking aisle near flour and baking soda.

You can also shake chicken wings in it and bake to make crispy instead of frying.
  • gp246
    gp246 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Would you find that in most grocery shops? Probably a stupid question lol but I've never come across it before to my knowledge.

Cornstarch is usually in the baking aisle near flour and baking soda.

You can also shake chicken wings in it and bake to make crispy instead of frying.

Oh really?? Is there any flavour off the corn starch or does it just make them crispy?
  • slappy01uk
    slappy01uk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You could always try flavouring the corn flour yourself by adding some spice (chilli , garlic powder, chicken 5 spice etc)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @gp246 the cornstarch has no flavor.

Here is the method Crispy Baked Chicken
  • jakj00
    jakj00 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just tried a baked sweet potato with an over easy egg on top...it was delicious!
  • pollyjean65
    pollyjean65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After slicing fairly thin, soak the slices in cold water for at least two hours. This pulls the starch from them and allows them to crisp up better.
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love just tossing them in a little olive oil and salt and roasting them. I also found a recipe recently where you peel, cube and microwave them to partially cook, then sauté with olive oil, yellow peppers and diced jalapeños. It was a really nice side dish.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jakj00 wrote: »
    I just tried a baked sweet potato with an over easy egg on top...it was delicious!

I love this! So simple, filling and delicious.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like them baked or microwaved and stuffed with BBQ chicken or pulled pork or sloppy joe mix. I also like to grill slices of baked potato too. This potato salad is awesome! Use white and red potatoes and light sour cream for the dressing really good!

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html

Two+Potato+Salad+with+Sour+Cream.JPG
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I throw them in the microwave for a few minutes. Then cut in half and add a 1/2 tbs of butter. Then I sprinkle pumpkin pie spice, ground cloves, and ground ginger. I add those same spices to mashed sweet potatoes, too.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I love mashed sweet potato. So easy!

Microwave peeled sweet potato pieces in a covered container till cooked. Then add a splash of milk, a chunk of butter, and salt and pepper, then mash.

You can also do it with a combination of potato and sweet potato.
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jakj00 wrote: »

I love to eat them this way as well. I make mine slightly different. I dice them into cubes, drizzle coconut oil roast them in the oven wrapped in foil. Then I sauté good amount of sliced leeks in coconut oil and then when my potatoes are done I top them with the leeks and crack an egg over the whole thing and broil until the egg is set, season with a little salt. I found this recipe on Live Strong and have been hooked ever since.

• kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ashedge wrote: »
    2b4e3uu9wgh9.jpeg

This reminds me of one my daughter even loves, but as a quesadilla. You get your quesadilla, sprinkle with grated cheese, grated sweet potatoes, black beans and green chili verde sauce. Then just cook it like you would a normal quesadilla. I like mine grilled in the pan with oil, cook until golden brown on one side flip etc.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bake, hollow out like a twice baked potato, mash the insides with turkey sausage, black beans and spinach and seasoning. restuff, top with cheese and bake until melted
  • lpn2003
    lpn2003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like skinnytaste.com. She has a great recipe for No Bean Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili. I've made it a couple of times now & love it. It freezes well too, so I put leftovers in individual serving size containers. That way I can pop one out of the freezer to thaw for lunch or supper.
  • hopedwells
    hopedwells Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I slice them up in medallions drizzle a little olive oil, cumin, garlic and pepper. Bake at 425. - Flip half way when their done add chicken breast cut up, cheese, green pepper and green onion then top with salsa, avocado, light sour cream and cilantro. It's delicious.