Has anyone tried the Dukan diet?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about trying the Dukan diet and wondered if anyone else had tried it and what the experiences were? Has anyone had success?

I am a little worried about cutting out so much and also how to eat protein on its own and make it interesting! If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions etc that would be great!

Thanks

Replies

• clubworld
    clubworld Posts: 12
    Options
    I assume it is similar to the Atkins diet http://au.atkins.com/

Lots of protein and little to know carbohydrates.

I did this diet (and failed) many years ago. It did work, but I was not prepared mentally for the cravings I had to carbs. I lasted about 3 weeks and then had to eat carbs to stop from going insane!

If you are similar, you need to be prepared for that!
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm on it. I dropped 10 lbs. this past week. Take a look at my diary. I start of the Cruise Phase this week, alternating one day of protein, with one day of protein/low-carbs. The first week is tough, but it's doable, and if you hit the recommended weight loss sooner, you can start the Cruise Phase sooner. The only affect I've had was a slight headache. It's working so far, so I'm sticking with it. :smile:

Edit: Forgot to add: Do light stretching daily, and something with resistance bands. You want to work on preventing muscle loss, and you won't have much energy for the first couple of days.
  • DBabbit
    Options
    I assume it is similar to the Atkins diet http://au.atkins.com/

Lots of protein and little to know carbohydrates.

I did this diet (and failed) many years ago. It did work, but I was not prepared mentally for the cravings I had to carbs. I lasted about 3 weeks and then had to eat carbs to stop from going insane!

If you are similar, you need to be prepared for that!

It is similar to Atkins, except there is a 3-5 day introductory phase, and dairy isn't limited. The carbs are slowly reintroduced beginning with the 2nd week. :smile:
  • Claire739
    Claire739 Posts: 114
    Options
    ive been interested in trying this as it worked really well for a girl i know but i didnt know where to start lol
  • DBabbit
    Options
    Look up Dukandiet.com. It starts by taking a short quiz and finding your true weight. I've been collecting tons of info and useful sites for it - along with some pretty tasty looking recipes! :smile:
  • Claire739
    Claire739 Posts: 114
    Options
    thanks will do!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it - add me if you like. I love it - it's easy and you don't have to be hungry. I've just started phase two where you have alternating days of protein and protein/veg. I do feel more sluggish (I was pretty active and couldn't keep that level of activity up, but considering I'm not a fan of exercise, and you don't need to do as much as I was, that's no sacrifice :O) ).
  • emilybrittain
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • kcksmo
    kcksmo Posts: 19
    Options
    I totally went out and bought the book after reading this message today. I am super pumped to start it!!!
  • fattymclardass
    Options
    I'm bumping cause Im interested to see if anyone else has tried this diet.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am in the cruise phase now. I must say that I have not had any issues, I to had a headache one day ( but I was also a little silly that day and walked 4 miles at mid day and got sunburned), so I wrote it off.

Other than that, I am feeling fine, I am just doing my first TOM, I have had non of the usual bad mood, less boob ache etc.. I am just waiting to see if I get a decent weight loss when I stop holding the water. If so, then this will be me for the next 6 months or so.

Energy is not really suffering, doing the 30 day shred, today is day 3. And I will be off for a walk later.
  • khinkle44
    khinkle44 Posts: 14
    Options
    My husband and I are going to be starting this next week.... I am worried that I fall into temptation of the cravings.... I might need some encouragement and some recipes...
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    I've been on the Dukan Diet for 10 days now and LOVE it. I've literally tried everything to lose these pesky 10 pounds but nothing has worked in the past 4 years. 10 days in I've gone from 128 to 123. I'm a vegetarian too so it does get pretty tricky but with so little to lose, I am not terribly worried about it. One of the good things is that you can use unlimited no-calorie spices and vinegars. Walden Farms is a company that makes an entire line of NO CALORIE condiments! Chocolate sauce, pancake syrup, ketchup, ranch dressing, and even marshmellow paste! This stuff has been a life saver. You can also find recipes for no cal marinades with vinegars and spices, and some soy sauce or hot sauce. I've also recently found that I can make a pancake mix (not the oat bran galette that this diet talks about) with 10 tbsp nonfat dry milk, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 egg whites), some vanilla extract, some stevia or splenda, and some cinnamon. Pour some of the zero calorie pancake syrup mentioned above on there and it's pretty satisfying.

I've also made the oat bran galette with greek yogurt and egg whites, and it's not bad either.

I found a way to make "cheesecake" with a heaping spoonful of ff cream cheese, a heaping spoonful of ff greek yogurt, a few dashes of lemon juice, a few dashes of vanilla extract, and a couple stevia/splenda packets. Stir it up really well and either top with some sugar free jelly or the Walden Farms chocolate syrup.

I hope this helps! I find the worst cravings are the ones for sweets and these recipes seem to take care of that adequately.
  • khinkle44
    khinkle44 Posts: 14
    Options
    Ok I need a recipe for ground turkey that will work for the attack phase.... any suggestions?
  • candlelady1
    candlelady1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started the Dukan Diet yesterday (06-27-2011). So far so good. I like my true weight because it is higher than a lot of other charts say I should be. The website that is mydukandiet.com is the european or british version and has some good recipes on it. I was in a funk and not losing any weight and still not exercising so I thought I would shake up routine a little. In one day I lost 1.2 pounds.:happy:
  • DBabbit
    Options
    Ok I need a recipe for ground turkey that will work for the attack phase.... any suggestions?

Patties or meatballs made with 1 egg white, fat free cottage cheese (1/2 cup per pound of meat), sugar-free seasoning (I use McCormick's Grinders).

Brown and add to 2 scrambled egg whites for breakfast.

Brown and add to the Dukan pancake.

Check out these sites for more recipes:

http://www.pierredukandiet.com/

http://mydukandiet.com/recipes/phases/attack/

http://dukanitout.com/
  • kiwicymru
    Options
    :smile: Hi yes I have and it works! I read an introductory article about the diet in a womens mag and thought Id give it a go. I brought the book from: http://www.amazon.com/New-Pierre-Dukan-Diet-Recipe/dp/1444710354?&linkCode=wsw&tag=socialitemecc-20 And proceeded to loose 10kgs=22 pounds in under 3months. I now weigh 55kgs, and so far consolidating at that exact same weight. Its totally worth the perserverance and effort! It can be strict, but it works which is all that really matters:happy:
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: :glasses:
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Day 5 down 6 lbs, it was this or the lemonade diet. I'm glad I choose this. I get to eat!