It's my thyroid....

Options
I decided to have my thyroid checked. Turns out my TSH level was 6.5. I have a doc. apt here in a little while to discuss medicine, etc. I guess now I am wondering what's next? I have heard that hypothyroidism causes weight gain (which would explain the 40lbs I gained since my daughter was born last May). I have also heard that the medicine for it causes you to drop lbs like crazy. Is this really true? I am all for some weight loss, but I am not sure if I want to lose weight that fast. How much would I lose? Would it just be a quick 10lbs then even out or will it be rapid the whole time?? I guess I am a little excited that my fatness has a name to it now, but I am a little worried about what that means for my health. Did I develop this because of my weight? I read online that pregnancy can cause it which makes since because I had a daughter right before my weight gain started....Does it go away if I lose weight or am I stuck with hypothyroidism the rest of my life?

I just have so many questions and I would love to hear answers from people who have experienced what i'm going through!! Thanks!

Replies

• Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lizshouse88
    Options
    thanks for the bump :)
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid, and my meds do not cause me to drop weight. Also, I was on Synthroid for years and still never felt better. I've now been on dessicated thyroid for years and feel pretty good. Also, my doctor likes to keep my TSH under 2.0. Any questions, let me know! I was diagnosed when I was 19 and am now 33, so have lots of years under my belt. ;)
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have 3 friends who have hypothyroidism and they all have said, that blaming an extreme weight gain on hypothyroidism is unrealistic. You will have some weight gain but it adds up over time...not the massive weight packed on in a short period. As for the weight loss after taking pills, it's the same thing. Slow and steady loss not a massive amount all at one time.
  • Hadenuf
    Hadenuf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. I can only relay my own experience as I'm sure everyone's body responds differently. My thyroid level was at 13.5 when they FINALLY caught on that something was out of whack. The medication doesn't make you drop the pounds quickly, but what it does do is lift you out of a cloud that I'm sure you've been feeling as though you've been walking through and give you energy and motivation. I did drop some weight at first, but it wasn't a great deal and I was over 300 pounds. What I will say is that you'll feel better and see things a whole lot more clearly. Also, make sure you keep on top of your Vitamin D levels because thyroid and Vitamin D go hand in hand and when both under control, help with weightloss. I've had to go on some pretty hefty supplements as well. Good luck! Brighter days are ahead!

4207658.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism during my third pregnancy and have been on Synthroid ever since, my son is now 14. I was told right away that I would need to take the Synthroid the rest of my life. Before diagnosis, I was SO tired, even falling asleep while driving, and gained a lot of weight. I don't think that the meds made me drop weight fast, or at all, but I do think that my metabolism is working correctly now so that it's easier to lose. I think in my case it's heriditary, my grandma also had it.

Good luck with everything, and I wouldn't worry either, the only thing I have to do is take a small purple pill everyday. :)
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I will always have hypothyroidism. Being fat doesn't cause it. It's an autoimmune disease.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    I found out my thyroid was off about a year ago, though mine was only slightly. I started MFP in Jan and dropped 18 pounds but hit a plateau in March. No matter how hard I tried I was not losing weight. I got my thyroid checked again on June 3rd, it was at something like 5.3, and they have increased my medicine. I have not been following MFP like I should and have not lost any weight. I go back the middle of July to have it re-tested. So, my point is...if the thyroid was the SOLE reason you gained weight than yes you could lose quite a bit, but if your lifestyle attributed to the weight gain than no, the thyroid medicine isn't going to be your miracle drug. Now, you will see changes like better moods, less fatigue, healthier skin/nails/hair. Remember though, you should get it re-tested about every 6 months because hyperthyroidism is lifetime and your thyroid will continue to increasingly get worse and your meds will need to be adjusted accordingly.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    hypothyroidism doesn't go away. Not likely that it accounts for all 40lbs, but it could be responsible for 10-15 of those. It can also take a while to get you on the right dose - they like to step you up through the micrograms so that you're taking the minimum you need. I've been on thyroid medication for over 15 years now. Losing weight (through weight loss surgery) temporarily hiccuped my need for medication, but within 6 months, I was back where I started.
  • hammersshells
    Options
    I was diagnosed w hypothyroidism about 5 years ago. I never dropped any weight just from taking my thyroid meds. I was really hoping it would help, but it didn't. In fact, there were times when I wondered if my meds were the right dosage, because my energy never improved that much or anything. Looking back, I think a lot of it was due to depression. My lifestyle was not active at all, I was married to a jerk, and I was miserable.
    Now that I am happy and free and active, the weight is finally coming off. But for me, the only thing that has helped me lose and keep it off is plenty of excercise and a sensible diet. Good luck! I hope the meds make weight loss easier for you. :)
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    i have an under active thyroid and since being on my medication for it i have gained about 50 pounds. in my experience my medication has actually made me put on weight rather than lose it like a lot of other people say. i also find it harder to lose weight and i have to exercise loads!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have 3 friends who have hypothyroidism and they all have said, that blaming an extreme weight gain on hypothyroidism is unrealistic. You will have some weight gain but it adds up over time...not the massive weight packed on in a short period. As for the weight loss after taking pills, it's the same thing. Slow and steady loss not a massive amount all at one time.

^^ this exactly. I am hypothyroid and blaming weight gain on underactive thyroid is totally a cop out for so many people. I was fat b/c I ate crappy food and too much of it in addition to no exercise. OP- can you honestly say you've been eating a realistic calorie amount, of healthy food, and exercising? If so- then sure- it's because of your thyroid.

And getting your levels regulated will not make you drop crazy amounts of weight, if any. Until you start eating better, exercising, etc... you won't be healthy. There is no easy fix but having your levels regulated will make you feel so much better and for me at least, feeling good gives me the motivation I need to make myself better.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been diagnose since she was 7, shes now 15. She'll have to be on meds her whole life. The thyroid can do all sorts of weird things to your body. The reason for the weight gain is because it slowed down your metaboism. with the right doseage and treatment and sometimes it takes time, it can help speed it up again but keep in mind it will be a struggle. My daughter has weight issues because hers is unstable alot.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure once your diagnosed its pretty permanent, but I was was born with hypothyroidism so Ive been taking medicine whole life. As for how fast you will lose the weight with the meds Im not sure Ive taken medicine all my life even through 3 pregnancies and still gained quite a bit and its still just as hard to lose afterwards
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have had a thyroid problem all of my life. First it was hyper then it went hypo. That being said, I have heard that when you get it during a pregnancy that sometimes it goes away. Basicly it all depends on the individual. You probably won't lose weight like crazy. It usually comes off the way it went on S-L-O-W. It will also take a while for your Dr to figure out the dosage that is right for you. I have been going to the Dr for blood tests every 3 months for the past year and although it is close to correct it is still not right. I quit taking my medication for a couple of years because I didn't have any insurance to pay for the blood tests.
  • Lizshouse88
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am kinda happy to hear it doesn't cause instant weight loss. That very reason is why I am trying to avoid the gastric bypass surgery and do it on my own!

As for the weight gain over the last year, it may not have ALL been because of a thyroid problem but I have never in my life gained weight like I did over the last year. I weigh more now than I have in my entire life (well I did before I lost a few lbs). I was embarrassed to even weigh myself because I didn't understand what was causing the weight gain!

Again thanks!!
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    Hey, I completely disagree that the meds make you drop weight fast. In fact, it does no more than if you didn't have the problem and in fact it will still be a struggle compared to those who do not have hypothyroidism. I went through the same thing. I gained 40 lbs with my 2nd pregnancy and kept on 20 of it. Before that, I went to the gym for 8 weeks 2 hours a day and while everyone around me lost 20 something lbs. I barely lost 3. I was pretty sure I went into my pregnancy with the problem which made it worse. After I had my son, I worked out everyday and ate healthy but did not lose anything. I knew then I had to get checked out and sure enough, I got diagnosed with hypo. That was not my only symptom. I had basically every other symptom associated with it. Since, I have been able to lose weight but I still have to work my butt off for it. It doesn't come easy like it did before but atleast I know now when I try, I will see results. Hang in there, the meds will help get your hormones back on track so when you put in the work, you will ses the results but whoever says you'll drop all the weight once you get on them is wrong. haha I mean, trust me, I wish it were that easy but it's not! The most important thing is, you got it figured out and will get the help for it. Good luck to you! :)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I would take this list of questions to my doctor's appointment. Because you are not going to get the best answers from here. Because different cases for different people.

I will tell you I have a Hypothyroid. The medicine did not make me lose weight like crazy, but I also have several other medical conditions that hinder my weightloss as well. I am not sure about taking the meds for the rest of your life, but I think that it is possible that you will. I don't think you have thyroid problems because of your weight, I think you have weight issues because of your tyroid. Don't think it is a good idea to think this is going to be your cure for being overweight. Just look at it as a great way to help get a good jump start to get you were you want to be and continue to work on being physically fit through exercise and eatting healthy.

Good luck to you
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    while hypothyroidism can slow your metabolism, cause fatigue that can lead to weight gain, and it did for me, getiing meds right and balancing your levels again can take time, and even when your metabolism picks up, its not a magic pill, in fact if you lose a lot of weight really fast, you probobly have been over medicated, which isn't healthy either.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    keep in mind its not impossible, my mother in law has underactive thyroid as well and she lost lots of weight.