Fitness tracker suggestions?

Options
Hello! I want to buy a fitness tracker but dont know which one to get. Can someone recommend something that has continuous heart monitoring on top of the fitness tracking and won't break the bank?

Replies

• belus06
    belus06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat, I read the UA one is good it has a good ecosystem feel but I have been recommended the fitbit HR it's like 149 better than 180 for underarmor
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mystgrl28 wrote: »
    Hello! I want to buy a fitness tracker but dont know which one to get. Can someone recommend something that has continuous heart monitoring on top of the fitness tracking and won't break the bank?

Continuous heart monitoring won't be necessary. Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio. So if you get a FitBit (or some other brand) that has a chest strap for monitoring heart rate, this will be important for steady state cardio workouts ONLY. You won't wear a chest strap 24/7 (no point). Wrist only heart rate monitors are less accurate.

The activity tracker you choose is going to depend upon what you want it to do. There is no one-size-fits-all.

I use a FitBit One (no heart rate component). My cardio is step based so it works well for me. If your cardio is cycling, swimming (something not step based)......a heart rate component will help. Nothing is going to measure strength training very accurately.

My FitBit One monitors sleep, counts stairs climbed. It doesn't count steps when I'm driving (like wrist models sometimes do). It's discreet, I attach it to my bra.

Have a look in the User Groups (tons of info).....here's FitBits: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • cmhuman
    cmhuman Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    One that I would not suggest is the Samsung Gear S2. While I love my watch and appreciate it's many functions, I do find myself having to log my exercise manually as well the calories burned not always matching across the board. I hear they're working on letting the watch be compatible with Myfitnesspal, but that remains to be seen.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a vivosmart w/hr
  • mystgrl28
    mystgrl28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I want the continuous heart rate monitoring because i'd like to see if my resting heart rate improves over time and also if im hitting targets doing hiit. Would be better if they can provide calories burned based on my heart rate but that might be asking for too much :D currently looking at fitbit charge hr, garmin vivosmart hr or polar a360 but by golly they are expensive! Especially the polar one. So far the fitbit is the cheapest of the lot at £96. Dont even know if it's worth it lol.
  • Kopci
    Kopci Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit charge- works well with MFP & I like the sleep tracker & phone app. The charge has some issues with the band peeling - would recommend upgraded to nicer fitbit version. I'm unsure if fitbit charge HR has same band?
  • mystgrl28
    Options
    I just picked up a vivosmart w/hr

How are you finding it?
    Kopci wrote: »
    I have fitbit charge- works well with MFP & I like the sleep tracker & phone app. The charge has some issues with the band peeling - would recommend upgraded to nicer fitbit version. I'm unsure if fitbit charge HR has same band?

I dont know. Hahaha. I guess they're the same just with added functionalities?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR isn't very accurate for HR at "exercise" intensities; it will be disappointing for HIIT. My girlfriend had one for months but returned it for this reason.
  • funnycat13
    funnycat13 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My Fitbit Charge HR is as accurate as the HR monitor on my gym treadmill (on the handle grip at the front of the machine). I verified this just yesterday. So while maybe not 100%, it's at least the same as another device meant to track it.

I also like being able to see how my HR changes from day to day. I've noticed mine goes up in warmer weather, down in cooler. Sometimes changes if I've had a day where I ate heavy, too. And the sleep tracker may not be totally accurate (sometimes says I'm asleep while I'm just lying still instead) but I can get an overall picture of my sleep quality with it vs. without it. For some reason I wake up almost every night around 3:30am... now I just need to figure out why. LOL

As the technology advances, so will their accuracy and the things they will be able to track. For now, I'm pleased with my Charge HR.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR isn't very accurate for HR at "exercise" intensities; it will be disappointing for HIIT. My girlfriend had one for months but returned it for this reason.

Wrist based HRM are accurate but they have a bit of a lag so they're not the best thing for interval workouts. HIIT would be a worst case scenario for one of these. I have a wrist based HRM but for interval work I'll add a chest strap for a more responsive update.
  • mystgrl28
    Options
    funnycat13 wrote: »
    I also like being able to see how my HR changes from day to day. I've noticed mine goes up in warmer weather, down in cooler. Sometimes changes if I've had a day where I ate heavy, too. And the sleep tracker may not be totally accurate (sometimes says I'm asleep while I'm just lying still instead) but I can get an overall picture of my sleep quality with it vs. without it.
    Same reason why i want one!
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Wrist based HRM are accurate but they have a bit of a lag so they're not the best thing for interval workouts. HIIT would be a worst case scenario for one of these. I have a wrist based HRM but for interval work I'll add a chest strap for a more responsive update.
    Do you have a suggestion for a wrist based tracker that can be linked to a chest strap as well? Or will i have to buy a different hr monitor?

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    funnycat13 wrote: »
    I also like being able to see how my HR changes from day to day. I've noticed mine goes up in warmer weather, down in cooler. Sometimes changes if I've had a day where I ate heavy, too. And the sleep tracker may not be totally accurate (sometimes says I'm asleep while I'm just lying still instead) but I can get an overall picture of my sleep quality with it vs. without it.
    Same reason why i want one!
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Do you have a suggestion for a wrist based tracker that can be linked to a chest strap as well? Or will i have to buy a different hr monitor?

I use the Apple Watch and love it. It works with a Bluetooth polar chest strap for better HR accuracy for non steady state cardio activities. You can get a used one on eBay pretty cheap. Only thing is that it does have to be paired to an iPhone to work.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The Garmin products that I know about will use either the wrist based HRM or the chest strap. I'm sure other brands offer similar features.
  • mystgrl28
    Options
    I am now the super excited owner of a garmin vivosmart hr :D:D:D started fiddling with it 1.5hrs ago and liking it so far! Wooooooo!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I am now the super excited owner of a garmin vivosmart hr :D:D:D started fiddling with it 1.5hrs ago and liking it so far! Wooooooo!

Congrats, that's a good choice.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit blaze.