Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting..

kharbouch
kharbouch Posts: 12 Member
Have you ever tried that before?! Advise pls.

Replies

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    doing it now. It's working great.

there's about a 3-5 day adjustment curve, but once you get used to it, it really works great and the premise is very simple, not like it's a complicated diet, you can apply whatever principles you want when selecting food, the only constraints are obviously placed on time, which is very easy to follow
  • fuel123
    fuel123 Posts: 1 Member
    I started it on Saturday May 7 and have already lost weight. I do the 16/8 I fast from 10PM to 2PM and the I have 8 hours to get my macros in. The problem I have is I have yet to hit my macros because I am filled long before I have to fast again. I find myself forcing some carbs to at least come close. Check out Kinobody on youtube he has a ton of information on it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Which version of IF are you interested in?
    Leangains
    ADF
    5:2
    There's lots of different IF protocols......

I did 5:2 to lose my weight are it suited me brilliantly in terms of making adherence to a moderate weekly calorie deficit easy and supporting a heavy exercise routine better than everyday restriction.

Tried 16:8 but found it a bit restrictive, made me a bit obsessive about clock watching. I do find breakfast skipping (which to a degree is what 16:8 is) an easy way for me to lose weight slowly though.

For me the primary advantages are in adherence and fit with personal feeding preferences, any other supposed benefits seem very minor and the research often quite contradictory or just plan over-hyped.

Suits some people, doesn't suit others. Worth trying.
  • kharbouch
    kharbouch Posts: 12 Member
    fuel123 wrote: »
    I started it on Saturday May 7 and have already lost weight. I do the 16/8 I fast from 10PM to 2PM and the I have 8 hours to get my macros in. The problem I have is I have yet to hit my macros because I am filled long before I have to fast again. I find myself forcing some carbs to at least come close. Check out Kinobody on youtube he has a ton of information on it.

Thanks for sharing ur experience. Good luck in ur journey
  • BrettieBooBoo
    BrettieBooBoo Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2016
    Happy you posted this..I don't quiet understand it all just yet, I still need to do research I guess. I want to try it...But trying to figure out a timing schedule perfect for me is what confused me?!

Am I supposed to workout during the fasting timing or during the munch down part..hmmmm
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    This isn't really a debate topic, so I think you posted in the wrong section.

Here's a thread on it in this section: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10374557/why-intermittent-fasting-is-so-popular-now/p1

However, you will likely get better help searching for a thread in the General Weight Loss section or trying one of the groups: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    edited May 2016
    Happy you posted this..I don't quiet understand it all just yet, I still need to do research I guess. I want to try it...But trying to figure out a timing schedule perfect for me is what confused me?!

Am I supposed to workout during the fasting timing or during the munch down part..hmmmm
    That's entirely up to you.

Problem for me is I generally lift at 80 percent of max weight, then I end up doing spin class after. so more or less that's about 2hrs of non-stop working out. I bend the rules and have a coconut water during the weight training, if I don't, by the time end up doing spin I'll end up going hypo, and cramping. There is also a huge chance I could go hypo during the weights. The coconut water is only 50-70 calories and that is the only cal source I have before my feeding window. I typically have 5 hrs until my feeding window after that. So I have to wait.

When you decide your feeding window is going to be is directly related to if you can manage to stave off hunger after your workout or not, what time of the day you workout, if you feel you need to eat upon waking ect.ect.

Best advice I can give to you would be to try to make your feeding window not until the latter half of your day. Try to fast in the initial part of the day, it can be hard as ghrelin is generally released upon waking for most people, especially when you are accustomed to eating breakfast within a couple hours or less of waking. The ghrelin will subside after about half an hr, and you won't have that annoying sense of hunger. Drinking water actually helps, but while ghrelin is in full effect, I notice water does not help. But like I said, it will go away, just ignore it.

After doing I/F for about 2 weeks now, I no longer am hungry upon waking, my body isnt releasing huge amounts of ghrelin. Your food choices will also have a direct impact on how bad your hunger is. If I eat a lot of processed foods/grains/sweets, the following day my hunger is insatiable. I find it is very hard to consistently fast if you have a lot of junk food in your diet. Once you pull the sugar/processed carbs out, I find that it is much much easier to combat the hunger.

My main carb source is Jasmine rice. It's the only grain per se` that I will allow into my diet.

I am currently doing 20/4 (warrior)

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Yep, been doing it in one form or another since 2012 :)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    It's only a preferred/ scheduled way of eating for some. It has no more benefit than a normal diet with the same macro intake. It's just a preferred way of eating for some
  • BrettieBooBoo

Problem for me is I generally lift at 80 percent of max weight, then I end up doing spin class after. so more or less that's about 2hrs of non-stop working out. I bend the rules and have a coconut water during the weight training, if I don't, by the time end up doing spin I'll end up going hypo, and cramping. There is also a huge chance I could go hypo during the weights. The coconut water is only 50-70 calories and that is the only cal source I have before my feeding window. I typically have 5 hrs until my feeding window after that. So I have to wait.

When you decide your feeding window is going to be is directly related to if you can manage to stave off hunger after your workout or not, what time of the day you workout, if you feel you need to eat upon waking ect.ect.

Best advice I can give to you would be to try to make your feeding window not until the latter half of your day. Try to fast in the initial part of the day, it can be hard as ghrelin is generally released upon waking for most people, especially when you are accustomed to eating breakfast within a couple hours or less of waking. The ghrelin will subside after about half an hr, and you won't have that annoying sense of hunger. Drinking water actually helps, but while ghrelin is in full effect, I notice water does not help. But like I said, it will go away, just ignore it.

After doing I/F for about 2 weeks now, I no longer am hungry upon waking, my body isnt releasing huge amounts of ghrelin. Your food choices will also have a direct impact on how bad your hunger is. If I eat a lot of processed foods/grains/sweets, the following day my hunger is insatiable. I find it is very hard to consistently fast if you have a lot of junk food in your diet. Once you pull the sugar/processed carbs out, I find that it is much much easier to combat the hunger.

My main carb source is Jasmine rice. It's the only grain per se` that I will allow into my diet.

I workout in the evening..630 ish. And I don't like eating prior or I feel sick. So prolly sounds like a dumb question..but bare with me lol.
    Am I supposed to jam pack all my calories for the day during the eating time period?!?!
  • Dr1nkbleachndye

I workout in the evening..630 ish. And I don't like eating prior or I feel sick. So prolly sounds like a dumb question..but bare with me lol.
    Am I supposed to jam pack all my calories for the day during the eating time period?!?!
    Yes.

Since IF is more for people who are dieting, I don't see how it would be too hard. I just had a 1500 calorie steak. lol
  • BrettieBooBoo

Yes.

Since IF is more for people who are dieting, I don't see how it would be too hard. I just had a 1500 calorie steak. lol

Lol ahhh no fair!!!! Sharing is caring! I'm going to try building myself up to trying it:) thanks all the info!!!!
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member

Not true at all, http://www.leangains.com/ , while you can use it while cutting which i did, im doing 16:8 now and dont plan to cut for another year atleast.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    edited May 2016
    awinner_au wrote: »

Not true at all, http://www.leangains.com/ , while you can use it while cutting which i did, im doing 16:8 now and dont plan to cut for another year atleast.
    explain to me what isn't true about what I said.

Find the definitive/absolute statement within my post, and I will address it.

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    edited May 2016
    Anyway for those interested, here is a pubmed study showing an increase in insulin sensitivity while applying IF w/ a calorie restricted diet. An increase in insulin sensitivity is something we all are striving for.

Intermittent fasting study-http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC156352/

Random, easy to follow article on how to increase insulin sensitivity- https://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-increase-insulin-sensitivity/
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    I agree that if in a way is a form of fasting that we all have practiced in some form or another for years. Example: skipping breakfast to have a bigger lunch
    However, there was a poster a while back who had shared his IF weight loss story. He ate his daily calorie allowance within one small 4hour window. It was regimented and retualistic. The once daily feeding window sounded a lot like a binge. Consuming such a high volume of food witnin such a small amount sounded to me like he wanted to continue the same unhealthy relationship with food but in short bursts, followed by total abstinence from food. I think that any diet can be made unhealthy so intermittent fasting is just one way of losing weight and it can be taken to Extreme Measures which will make it an unhealthy way to lose weight so I've nothing against intermitent fast and if it's done healthy weight