Lost 13lbs since January but no one notices!

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    OP if you read through this forum you will see other threads of people complaining that everyone is commenting on their weight loss and it is none of their business.
    Or people say 'you've lost weight, you look great' and they are offended because it implied they didnt look great before.

Little wonder most people think it best to just say nothing.

I agree with this.
    You also have to be careful as someone could be ill and that's why losing weight
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think it's tacky or rude to compliment someone on an achievement especially if they are close to you.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13lb in the last month and no one's commented. I think because i was only 140lb to start with it isnt that much of a drastic change but i can see differences in my before pictures to now and I feel loads better which is what really counts.
    Your friends also might not feed comfortable saying perhaps those who know you're dieting would but others might be worried of offending. Potentially omg you look great did you lose weight could be taken as rude by some people.
    Dont worry about what others think so long as youre pleased with your progress
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    All the drama...I usually stick with "you look great!" unless the person is someone I know well who has told me they are working on losing weight.

And, yes, you have to do it for yourself. But I still think that it's pretty normal to want the people who know you to notice.

OP, go shopping woman. Get clothes that fit and flatter you now. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I noticed a girl at work lost weight but did not feel comfortable saying anything to her. what if I was wrong, what if she was sick, ?? I overheard saying she was not eating cake because it is not allowed and now will say something to her. Honestly, except for my closest family I would not bring up weight loss with anyone unless then mentioned they were trying to lose weight.

Yeah--at my age if you lose a lot of weight, people assume you have cancer or something. Even when I went to my doctor, the nurse came running back into the room upset because they thought they made a mistake on the chart.

When I said, no, the numbers were correct, she said they were so surprised because "we tell people all the time to lose weight, but you're the only one who actually DID it."
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can relate a bit OP- I'm also 50, dropped 20 pounds and nobody said a word to me. I'm a lot taller than you so perhaps it was somewhat less noticeable, but I felt like I was on top of the world- fitting my clothes better and feeling very fit. At first it kind of made me a little sad that even family and close friends said nothing. I wasn't sure why. Maybe because they didn't want to appear rude? Was it my age? I don't know. But then I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter anyways. I did it for me, not them. It's been a few months that I've been at this new (old) weight now and I am content. Go get a new pair of dark jeans or something and you'll feel fine!
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    when I lost weight 4 years ago 1 went from 115 to 85 kg and some one asked me if I was sick... lol
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    mou_254 wrote: »
    I lost 34 lbs, and I'm a 23 year old woman and people still don't notice! :wink:

You're looking great too, mou.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    People don't commend my weight loss as much now unless they haven't seen me for along time. 15 lbs is a lot, but people that see you every day might not notice or they think you look great anyway and don't think to congratulate you.

I rarely ever notice when anyone loses weight unless its a very large amount.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would never comment on someone's weight, so I wouldn't let it bother you. Perhaps they feel the same way! What is important is how you feel about your loss. I personally hate it when someone brings it up to me, but I get embarrassed easily.

There have been three people in my life that have lost significant amounts of weight after a serious medical problem. My coworker lost 100lbs after his cancer came back. My Mother in law just lost 50lbs last year after having her gall bladder removed and having to change her diet,and she really wasn't that big to begin with. My grandmother lost a ton of weight after going through chemo for colon cancer.

So, I don't bring it up unless we're talking about it and it's pretty clear that the loss is intentional and there isn't an underlying reason for it.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OP if you read through this forum you will see other threads of people complaining that everyone is commenting on their weight loss and it is none of their business.
    Or people say 'you've lost weight, you look great' and they are offended because it implied they didnt look great before.

Little wonder most people think it best to just say nothing.

I get that. There are definitely some friends who I know who would never comment on a person's weight. But when I was thin people were always remarking on my weight - even though they were usually wrong about whatever they observed - frequently thinking I'd lost weight when I hadn't. I suppose people don't worry so much about offending you when you're thin.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Besides, people notice. They're just not going to mention anything to you before you say something celebratory to them.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My hubby and I are both losing weight. He has lost almost 35. I've lost 28. Everyone I know is telling me how great he looks. Very few people have noticed my weight loss.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My hubby and I are both losing weight. He has lost almost 35. I've lost 28. Everyone I know is telling me how great he looks. Very few people have noticed my weight loss.

I suspect they have noticed but the lack of saying something has more to do either how commenting on women's weight is a more sensitive and taboo topic than commenting on men's.

• Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2in. 22yo and I lost 80lbs within two years. Started at 262. That's a lot on a short frame.
    No one said anything until I had lost 40.
    None of my family said anything until I lost 60.
    It never occurred to me that they might be jealous. I don't even understand how some people can think that just because they don't say anything that they are jealous. They probably didn't notice, didn't care, or didn't want to hit a nerve.
    You mentioned that your friends knew you were upset about the weight gain, maybe the didn't want to upset you by bringing it up.
    Comments on my weight annoy me though, I never cared what people thought about my weight before and I care less now.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 kg (33 lbs) before anyone seemed to notice ... and then it was one person in the office who very hesitantly came up to me and asked me if I'd lost some weight.

Then I went away on holiday for almost a month, and when I returned from that ... after I'd been out of sight for a while ... that's when a few others noticed and the comments began.

At first, I didn't mind the comments ... but some were not very complimentary. When you lose weight, for some reason that opens the door for every type of comment. And then they start to get really repetitive. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told, "Don't lose too much weight!"

It has been a year since the commenting started and I've been the same weight for the last 6 months now (25 kg/55 lbs lost in total). Fortunately most of the commenting has stopped. People are finally starting to see my weight as I see it ... normal. But comments do persist. Just the other week, while carrying a glass of water out of the kitchen, someone said to me, "Are you STILL on that diet??"
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds is a dress size, so yes, time to pick up a few new pieces, at least to get you through to your next weight loss break through! Also, a smaller size doesn't necessarily mean it's "tight". You may be used to looser, baggy clothes, and it may feel weird at first to actually feel the clothing skimming your body. However, that is the most flattering, and nothing beats beautifully tailored clothes to accentuate your new figure! NOW let's see who is the "invisible middle aged woman!"
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds is a dress size, so yes, time to pick up a few new pieces, at least to get you through to your next weight loss break through! Also, a smaller size doesn't necessarily mean it's "tight". You may be used to looser, baggy clothes, and it may feel weird at first to actually feel the clothing skimming your body. However, that is the most flattering, and nothing beats beautifully tailored clothes to accentuate your new figure! NOW let's see who is the "invisible middle aged woman!"
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    Ten pounds is a dress size

For some.

I've lost 55 lbs ... one would assume I'd be down 5 sizes?

I started at an Australian 16, just about 18 (I didn't want to move into 18, part of the reason I started losing weight!) ... I'm down to an Australian 14 and dabble in the occasional 12.

For reference ...
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm
    (An Australian 18 is a US 14 ... an Australian 12 is a US 8.)

So given that sizing is usually even numbers, doesn't that mean I've only dropped 3 sizes at most? 18 -> 16 -> 14 -> 12