Looking for fellow PCOS-ers to motivate and educate each other

cbinnd
cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
Hello! I have been diagnosed with PCOS for about 10 years now (I am 28 yo) but I have only recently begun educating myself within the last couple months. I am slowly learning what is best for my body in diet and exercise through trial and error as well as reading what has worked for others. I would love to have a group on MFP of individuals going thru the same process so we can help, encourage and educate one another. Feel free to add me!

Replies

• Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Hope it all goes well for you. I'm currently being tested for it. Had a scan yesterday and awaiting results soo I might not even have it but I have read up on it. Apparently a low sugar diet is the way to go with it and reduced carbs :)
  • cbinnd
    Hope it all goes well for you. I'm currently being tested for it. Had a scan yesterday and awaiting results soo I might not even have it but I have read up on it. Apparently a low sugar diet is the way to go with it and reduced carbs :)

Yes I have reduced my carb intake and increased my exercise which has really been helping me! Sometimes its hard to stay motivated tho!
    I hope all turns out well for you! My biggest concern is the increased risk of diabetes and other problems later.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Hi I'm 40 and I was diognosed at 19. I went to reduced sugar, white flour potatoes diet when I was in my 20s trying to get pregnant but was never able to completely cut it out and had lots of cravings. Just told I was insulin resistent and a week ago cut out all sugar and white flour as well as potatoes.....no carb cravings!!! I should have done that years ago. I am down 8.9 pounds the first week and that never happens! Good luck on your journey I don't now how to friend someone but if you are looking for some support along I am too.
  • minime165
    minime165 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello everyone, I was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 or 19. I am now now 36 and still struggling with weight. I would love some friends on here to help with motivation. I am currently in a study group with my daughter about nutrition and healthy weight goals. So far I have lost 16 lbs and feel really good about my progress. My fitness pal is helping all of us count calories and keep track of what we are eating.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I was taking Metformin for it. Then I quit because I am a knucklehead. I gained 20 pounds in one month. The only thing I changed was the Metformin. So this week I started taking it again. I have at least 40 pounds to lose. I don't know a whole lot about PCOS. Just that it can cause diabetes and it also leads to even more painful menstrual cycles. You can add me if you would like and we can motivate each other.
  • kristenvdv
    kristenvdv Posts: 12 Member
    Recently diagnosed after gaining a lot of weight when I hit 30. Working on losing it... And now need to work on the lifestyle bit. All, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • cbinnd
    Hi I'm 40 and I was diognosed at 19. I went to reduced sugar, white flour potatoes diet when I was in my 20s trying to get pregnant but was never able to completely cut it out and had lots of cravings. Just told I was insulin resistent and a week ago cut out all sugar and white flour as well as potatoes.....no carb cravings!!! I should have done that years ago. I am down 8.9 pounds the first week and that never happens! Good luck on your journey I don't now how to friend someone but if you are looking for some support along I am too.

Wow! Good job! So it was better for you to completely cut out the sugar, white flour, potatoes rather than reduce them? Thats good to know!
    How do you avoid sugar? I have found that to be so difficult if out with friends, etc.
  • cbinnd
    minime165 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 or 19. I am now now 36 and still struggling with weight. I would love some friends on here to help with motivation. I am currently in a study group with my daughter about nutrition and healthy weight goals. So far I have lost 16 lbs and feel really good about my progress. My fitness pal is helping all of us count calories and keep track of what we are eating.

Wow! 16 pounds! Thats awesome! What have you learned and implemented that has helped you with your weight loss?
  • cbinnd
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I was taking Metformin for it. Then I quit because I am a knucklehead. I gained 20 pounds in one month. The only thing I changed was the Metformin. So this week I started taking it again. I have at least 40 pounds to lose. I don't know a whole lot about PCOS. Just that it can cause diabetes and it also leads to even more painful menstrual cycles. You can add me if you would like and we can motivate each other.

It is so hard to know what the best course to take is! I haven't taken any medication for my PCOS because I'm terrified of a) the side effects and b) becoming dependent on them. Thankfully there is so much more information on PCOS online then there use to be, but definitely take it with a grain of salt too. But we can beat this together!!
  • cbinnd
    kristenvdv wrote: »
    Recently diagnosed after gaining a lot of weight when I hit 30. Working on losing it... And now need to work on the lifestyle bit. All, feel free to add me as a friend.

Nice to know we aren't alone!!
  • minime165
    minime165 Posts: 4 Member

cbinnd wrote: »
    Wow! 16 pounds! Thats awesome! What have you learned and implemented that has helped you with your weight loss?

Thank you cbinnd. So the the program is a system of making goals and gradual changes. Food is categorized into reds, yellows and greens. Greens are foods that are good for you and should be eaten freely while staying within the daily calorie goal (1200-1400). A yellow is something you should slow down and think about while a red is something you should stop to consider if it is something you really need or want. All fruits and veggies are green, even those with high fat content like avocados due to the health benefits, and we need to have at least 5 a day. The eventual goal is to get down to 15 reds a week. It is a really great program and it has our whole family being more conscious of what we eat.

bme5kpjddqll.jpg
    g3p6xjwwyj9i.jpg

• treehugnmama
    Over the years I have reduced carbs and sugar many times due to pcos. I was always hungry always. With being diognosed with insulin resistent I decided to cut it right out and I'm not hungry!!! I've never not been hungry. I have breakfast lunch and dinner and an evening snack. I do not snack between meals as it adds more insulin. I am not grain free but I am wheat free. Once the sugar and flour and potatoes are out fruit taste sweet again. I do not feel deprived..not yet anyways :)
  • sarahmarieb36
    sarahmarieb36 Posts: 39 Member
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago but I knew something was wrong since I was around 16. Feel free to add me, anyone!
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Hey lady. Sent you a friend request. I've had PCOS since I was 14, am 25 now. I think mine is largely linked to my type 1 diabetes. The fact that I've gained a bunch of weight over the years isn't helping it either. I've been exercising more, trying to get into weight training, and focusing on eating a high protein, higher fat diet (though it changes day to day sometimes. :p:p )

Anyone can feel free to add me.
  • treehugnmama
    I think there is a link with diabetes for sure. My has diabetes. I see the signs of pcos in my 11 year old daughter too. For 20 years I managed to outrun the insulin resistent but it caught up to me.
  • cbinnd
    Over the years I have reduced carbs and sugar many times due to pcos. I was always hungry always. With being diognosed with insulin resistent I decided to cut it right out and I'm not hungry!!! I've never not been hungry. I have breakfast lunch and dinner and an evening snack. I do not snack between meals as it adds more insulin. I am not grain free but I am wheat free. Once the sugar and flour and potatoes are out fruit taste sweet again. I do not feel deprived..not yet anyways :)

How long did it take for you to get over your sugar withdrawals?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Read "The PCOS Diet" by Hillary Wright. Great stuff.
  • Successfulsleeve
    Successfulsleeve Posts: 1 Member
    HI everyone! Michigan here. I have been suffering from PCOS for 20 years...2 years ago I had Sleeve Gastrectomy and am down 115 pounds..with 60 more to go. I just joined MFP today and am looking for friends. I love to give and get support-I think it is so important! I have been in limbo in the weight loss dept for a year and it is time to buckle down on those carbs-no getting around that with PCOS. I am 38, a nurse/mom of 2/ and hate exercise :) I am going to blog on here as well. Feel free to add me!
  • treehugnmama
    Cbinnd I didn't really have any....I cut out artificial sweetner as well I think that helped. I know before I'd have a diet coke and then be looking for a chocolate bar. The first day was a bit tough but that was it. I guess I'm an all or nothing gal. I think another helpful thing is the three meals and evening snack. I don't eat anything in between. .....I know that is not what we have been taught but it is a new approach with insulin resistent and is working...got be out of the "I felt like a insert sugary snack here rut"
  • janice1112011
    janice1112011 Posts: 7 Member
    Hello Ladies. I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago but had symptoms since I was 13 yrs old. Im a 30 year old stay at home mom of 3 young children (5 and under). I have always been heavy, but Ive gained more weight after having each child (a total of 60 lbs in 5 years). I recently decided that I dont want to be like this anymore. I want to chase after my kids without getting exhausted. Im tired of all the pain in my feet (plantar fasciitis) from all the weight they are trying to support. I hate exercising but love dance so Im looking into a dance workout dvd. Im startng off with portion control (becuase I have always ate way more than I should) and increasing protein intake. Looking for as much support as I can get. How do you make a lifestyle change with family? My husband and kids are all very thin and healthy.