Sugar in fruit

Does sugar in fruit really count the same as sugar in a chocolate bar in the food diary section ? For example if I ate a chocolate bar that's 20g sugar is going to add to the same as if I ate a banana and dried fruit the equivalent would be 20g sugar??

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2016
    Yup. Sugar is sugar; your body isn't going to process the dextrose from fruit any differently than the the dextrose from a donut (glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose, galactose, dextrose, etc. are different mono/polysaccharides that are metabolized slightly differently depending on if the liver needs to "process it" into glucose, but it's sugar nonetheless).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Dried fruit is an overly concentrated sugar source.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Are you asking this question because of the mfp sugar daily goals?
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Echoing what everyone else is saying sugar is sugar. Fruit obviously has other micro nutrients that your body needs. And has fibre too, so there is some additional benefit for you in having your carbs from fruit.
  • ConnorStuartJohnston
    ConnorStuartJohnston Posts: 5 Member
    Sugar is not sugar, well, when it comes to overall calories it is but the absorption rate you get from fruits is much different from what you would get from processed foods. If you ate 100g of dates and had 100g processed sugary junk, the junk would spike your blood sugar and stimulate appetite much more. So fruit is better for weight loss and health overall.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Sugar is not sugar, well, when it comes to overall calories it is but the absorption rate you get from fruits is much different from what you would get from processed foods. If you ate 100g of dates and had 100g processed sugary junk, the junk would spike your blood sugar and stimulate appetite much more. So fruit is better for weight loss and health overall.

assuming you don't have any medical issues and are controlling over all intake..... so what?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Dried fruit is an overly concentrated sugar source.

Well often because dried fruit has additional added sugar. :cry:
    Whu? I mean, I won't argue that fruit will give you additional nutrients but where do you get this from?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2016

Then please tell me why I always see massive blood sugar spikes with grapes (can go from 80 to 250 in an hour even with accurate dosing) while I see nonexistant spikes with chocolate (the fat in chocolate really helps to delay the absorption of carbs so that it more closely matches how insulin is metabolized in my body).

Comparing apple juice to an apple, the apple juice would cause a more rapid BG spike than the apple because of the lack of dietary fiber, but it's like comparing apples to oranges if we're trying to talk about BG effects of fruit versus chocolate (the macros are hugely different, which will affect how quickly a "spike" is seen)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

When I was pre-diabetic, I could eat ice cream but dates were a big no. It was sad because I love dates. Thankfully I no longer need to restrict them, but they do spike blood sugar to heavens and back.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Sugar is sugar, once it reaches your bloodstream your body processes it the same way. However fiber in fruit Helps to break the sugar down at a decreased rate.

I dont know what your reasons for asking are, but fruit was part of my weight loss journey and helped with cravings. I wouldn't cut it out!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    It's the other nutritional goodies in fruit that make the sugar in fruit a good thing for your food plan.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If you ate 100g of dates and had 100g processed sugary junk, the junk would spike your blood sugar and stimulate appetite much more. So fruit is better for weight loss and health overall.

Agree with rainbowbow's so what, if one is a healthy person, but also this is not necessarily true. Dates are really sugary and have a higher GI and GL than many foods in the "junk" category (since what makes them high cal -- fat -- also tends to reduce GI/GL). Premium ice cream, which never stimulates my appetite, has a GL of 3 per serving, so I doubt it spikes blood sugar more than 100 g of dates.

Junk foods and fruits aren't identical -- fruits tend to have more nutrients, obviously, but that's not because the sugar is meaningfully different or because it's the end of the world if we eat something where the sugar is absorbed quickly (indeed, that's one reason people do eat bananas around workouts).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    It's the other nutritional goodies in fruit that make the sugar in fruit a good thing for your food plan.

That doesn't make sense. If it's the things apart from the sugar that are good, they don't make the sugar good if you think that sugar is bad (which it isn't but for the sake of argument). Something that had transfats but also vitamins doesn't make the transfats any better.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    xxjo35 wrote: »
    Does sugar in fruit really count the same as sugar in a chocolate bar in the food diary section ? For example if I ate a chocolate bar that's 20g sugar is going to add to the same as if I ate a banana and dried fruit the equivalent would be 20g sugar??

Yes and some people will tell you not to track sugar as it doesn't matter unless you have a medical issue. But I'd say keep tracking anyway, to prevent any medical issues before they start.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member

Yes and some people will tell you not to track sugar as it doesn't matter unless you have a medical issue. But I'd say keep tracking anyway, to prevent any medical issues before they start.

What medical issues can be prevented by tracking sugar? Hint: not diabetes.

The same medical issues people who say don't track unless you have a medical issue. Maybe I should've said prevent getting worse, for people who may have a medical issue and not know it yet.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    While sugar is indeed sugar, dextrose is not fructose is not sucrose and the list goes on.

Overly sugary fruits (they all have different amounts of sugar) are indeed bad for diabetics because the sugar is easily metabolized and goes into the blood stream.

Why are fruits better then? Fiber. Vitamins. Minerals. A little something we 'in the know' like to call NUTRITION.

Do you have to worry about sugar? If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic or have another medical condition that requires you to limit your sugar intake, then yes.

If you have a pancreas, liver, and kidneys as well as no medical condition as per above, then you shouldn't worry much about the sugar intake.

Big hint: If you are on MFP to lose weight and following your calorie goals, it is VERY unlikely you are going to be eating sugar in amounts that will cause an issue.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Yay! Another sugar debate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Sugar is sugar is sugar is sugar. The difference is that you're going to get more micronutrion (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc) with fruit. Dried fruit is a pretty concentrated source of sugar which is why I eat dried fruit on long bike rides.