Sugar in fruit

2»

Replies

• hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    I'm surprised no one mentioned GI index yet. Yes sugar is sugar but how fast it hits your blood stream and spikes your insulin is a whole different story. There is also the fact that fructose can only be stored in the liver which has a limited capacity while glucose can be stored as glycogen. So yea, sugar is sugar but it's not exactly the same.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited May 2016
    DanaDark wrote: »

Overly sugary fruits (they all have different amounts of sugar) are indeed bad for diabetics because the sugar is easily metabolized and goes into the blood stream.

Do you have to worry about sugar? If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic or have another medical condition that requires you to limit your sugar intake, then yes.

All carbs are broken down into glucose. A diabetic needs to watch carbohydrates versus sugar alone. If anything, the sugar macro lets me see whether the food might quickly be broken down into glucose or not (I still need to take insulin based on total carbs), but even then it's highly dependent on the fat and protein relative to that sugar/carbs (chocolate and pizza affect me differently than plain rice or a donut)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've heard and read that 20g sugar from a high fiber source, like fruit, is better (than non-fiberous sugar sources) because it takes longer for our bodies to process the sugar with all the fiber surrounding it.
    Theoretically, processing the sugar more slowly will lessen the glycemic impact, ie. Lessening sugar high/crash and subsequent GI hunger that's commonly attributed to hitting the sweets hard =)