Social pressure to gain/overeat.

Options
Hello hello,

In our food & consumer culture, most people can say they've experienced pressure to eat things they didn't want or eat when they were full.

When people see you are healthy looking, visibly underweight, or tell them you are trying to gain, I feel this pressure is more pronounced.

Despite giving enormous attention to managing a tricky digestive condition, I can't get it through to anyone in my support group that I just can't eat like they can or want me to. It can physically makes me sick, anywhere from a churning/sour stomach for 30 minutes, nausea that forces the meal up or prevents another timely meal, fullness that does the same, cause acute or chronic pain, tax my energy until it puts me to sleep, or spur D or C that sometimes isn't resolved for days. They don't have to deal with these symptoms, I do, and they are often a real wrench.*

I've begun to feel like there is no one sympathetic to me having a "day with minimal discomfort" or good energy without being weighed down, especially into the next day. While they don't put weight on me that day, I consider these to be successes as having learned something that can improve the quality of my life.*

It's hurting that it feels there's no one who will share these achievements with me, even the most supportive of my group. In this view, my comfort, well being, and what intuitively feels right or healing in my body is completely insignificant compared to the amount of calories I consume. Dare I say, I feel mechanized. It's a lonesome journey, exaggerated by the "care" others believe they are expressing for my goals. I don't want me to be underweight either, and it is scary*, I get that. Yes, it does seem a lot more simple on the outside.

* (Real life expressions to support group.)

Dear Community,

Have you experienced similar phenomena?

Are there books, articles, or other resources that you find empowering about the quality of your efforts, or useful to helping others understand your condition or their pressures?

How might one empathize better with their concerns without just removing oneself from the negativity?

And while we're at it, pretend you're out at dinner with a group, and only able to consume 1/3 of your plate. (Less if you snack on appetizers.) How might one reduce drawing specific and really uncomfortable attention to this fact? I'm okay with being unconventional, but my diet seems to often make others feel they need to justify their portions or selections which SUCKS, or we get into a topic about diets and food, which is also far from relaxing and enjoyable among a mixed audience. I've ordered desert for an appetizer (like easy to eat ice cream) and that has helped along these lines to have a meal with others with internal and external peace.

Thank you for reading. I'm really glad there are places for expressing this concern. :)

Replies

• caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, I have experienced people asking me what's wrong, etc if I moderate portions when out for a meal or decline an alcoholic beverage or skip the appetizers.
    2. I don't feel the need to explain my food choices to anyone. I usually just either ignore or brush off comments. If someone is really insistent I'll laughingly ask why they're so concerned with my plate and that usually shuts it down very quickly.
    3. Just don't mention it and if anyone comments just tell them you had a late lunch. Get a takeaway box, box the leftovers, and move along. Avoid dietary conversations. Redirect if necessary.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I just tell people to keep their nose out of my business when they try anything like that. My hostile tone and look of 'I'll use this fork to stab you if you don't shut up' usually settles the issue straight away. Admittedly I don't make many friends or enjoy a huge amount of positive social interactions with this attitude, but I'm okay with that.
  • sdahir
    sdahir Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ive had the odd comments from friends as to 'why i say i want to gain weight yet you cant even finish your meal.'

Just tell them im gaining at my own pace! If you feel too full then dont force yourself to please them.
    It has regretfully become the social norm to critique underweight peoples diet.

• Spontaneously
    Spontaneously Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @ Scamd83
    I appreciate your efficiency, but I don't think some of these are appropriate for company or fundraising dinners! It's never a topic I bring up, but that doesn't always get me off the hook. (Especially because eating with others has been helpful to increasing consumption.) Since I represent myself, family and husband at such events, my goal is to peacefully navigate these encounters with as little attention as possible, not further isolate myself.
    caammph wrote: »
    2. ... If someone is really insistent I'll laughingly ask why they're so concerned with my plate and that usually shuts it down very quickly. ....Redirect if necessary.

Making a joke is a really great suggestion. Thanks!
    Just don't mention it and if anyone comments just tell them you had a late lunch.

Isn't it kind of rude to eat around a planned event where the object will be eating? I may be overthinking this. Example: dinner plans for 6:30. I seemingly have enough "self control" to be super skinny, but not enough to time my meals so I don't interrupt later, likely more enjoyable plans to eat with company?

Are you each saying that you prefer no support, so the doorway for critique is never cracked open?

Thank you everyone.

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    @ Scamd83
    I appreciate your efficiency, but I don't think some of these are appropriate for company or fundraising dinners! It's never a topic I bring up, but that doesn't always get me off the hook. (Especially because eating with others has been helpful to increasing consumption.) Since I represent myself, family and husband at such events, my goal is to peacefully navigate these encounters with as little attention as possible, not further isolate myself.
    2. ... If someone is really insistent I'll laughingly ask why they're so concerned with my plate and that usually shuts it down very quickly. ....Redirect if necessary.

Making a joke is a really great suggestion. Thanks!
    Just don't mention it and if anyone comments just tell them you had a late lunch.

Isn't it kind of rude to eat around a planned event where the object will be eating? I may be overthinking this. Example: dinner plans for 6:30. I seemingly have enough "self control" to be super skinny, but not enough to time my meals so I don't interrupt later, likely more enjoyable plans to eat with company?

Are you each saying that you prefer no support, so the doorway for critique is never cracked open?

Thank you everyone.

I don't think it's very common for people to think, "How rude of her, to have accidentally eaten late and not be hungry right now." Like, life happens. You could even just say, "I'm not very hungry," and put what's left of you meal in a to-go box. Even if you don't plan to eat it, it may allay people's concern about your plate. But I agree that the best thing to do is politely shut people down if they're butting into your private eating business.

It sounds like you have a lot of people around you who are being pushy about wanting you to relax in the same way that they do (in this case, with large quantities of food that you can't eat for health reasons). It seems like if they're not being courteous to the fact that you can't eat these things even after you've told them in explicit terms that you cannot enjoy them. Perhaps stop hanging out with people who aren't respectful to your medical condition; they don't sound like good friends. If these are coworkers and not friends, you may have to accept that they're not a viable support network.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this; it sounds very unpleasant. I hope you find a comfortable balance soon.
  • princessterrie16
    princessterrie16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I honestly think if you have friends who make such a big deal of these things, you need new friends. I've had people who'd make comments about me not finishing my meals and saying "no wonder you're so skinny." Well after awhile of hearing it and becoming insecure about it, I finally decided to take control of my life and only keep positive people around.
  • Spontaneously
    Options
    I agree about keeping positive people around, and this aids enormously. The ones I choose are, overall, quite positive. I'm not referring to groups of girl friends who go out for cocktails. There are good people in my life who just don't understand but want to help.

The folks I'm referring to fall into 3 categories:

*close family and non-interchangeable components
    *doctors and medical teams
    *strangers/acquaintances/less familiar family that share closer quarters when entertaining

It'd be quite silly to me to give up each of those, although I have reduced my social obligations to be more accommodating to my condition. :/ Most people are not bad or mean, but have never struggled with chronic illness or have more experience coming at the weight equation from the other side. (How many times have you heard that? That one would LOVE to be in a state of anorexia so they could lose that pesky Thanksgiving dinner?)

I'd still like to enjoy people.
    gramarye wrote: »
    I don't think it's very common for people to think, "How rude of her, to have accidentally eaten late and not be hungry right now."

Thanks for your perspective. It seemed like an unwarranted concern, but I'm a bit self conscious about drawing attention to this. I don't like talking about it with just anyone, and want to enjoy the dinner company and conversation like everyone else, even if the food is challenging.
  • lovefitness726
    lovefitness726 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I Get a to go box & just explain I have a small stomach so I get full really fast/have to eat small portions but I'll probably be hungry again and eat the rest of it in a few hours. (Which is true)
    I think it's good to be honest if it's your friends. If it seems like you are trying to hide something or embarrassed or ashamed that's awkward.

If it's people you don't know that well and don't want to be TMI you You could also say you had a late lunch but the food is so good you will definetly be taking it home. Change the subject to talk about how yummy the food was.

I think it's rude to not take the food home with you to go if there is a lot left- if it is at a restaurant.

It sounds like your worries are all in your head. If you act uncomfortable or ashamed about the food people will feel awkward. The suggestions I said are a good way to just brush it off and change the subject. I think you are hung on on thinking they are judging you when they are not really. Just have a good time!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The only pressure you feel is what you've chosen to feel. Just say, "No thanks," and move on.

I actually can recommend a book. It's a cheesy self-help book, but my friends and I in college called it "The Good Book" because the advice there was shockingly useful: Dr. Robert Anthony's Ultimate Secrets of Total Self-Confidence. The whole theme of the book addresses the issue you're having, which is that you're looking to other people for what most of us find in ourselves. You're also feeling "negativity" coming from other people, when the only place it's coming from is you.

Change your feelings.
  • Spontaneously
    Options
    @xmichaelyx and lovefitness726

Pretty insightful. I can definitely see how my concerns make things more awkward. Thanks for the ideas.