Oatmeal Cookies

Options
Zichu
Zichu Posts: 542 Member
Hey, for the past month or so I have been trying different recipes and ideas for Oatmeal Cookies. I have tried using simple ingredients that allow for a low calorie cookie, but it ends up to dry. I have tried using Banana to keep the ingredients together, it worked, but it was a little sickly.

I have just made a batch, no banana's and went with using:

Plain Flour
Baking Powder
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Salt
Oats
Butter
Vanilla Extract
Egg Whites

I made a batch of 24 cookies and 1 cookie is 90kcal , 4g fat, 2g saturated fat, 13g carbs, 5g sugar and 2g protein. Now the only problem I am having is the fact that the amount of carbs and calories are too high compared to some of the cookies on the market. Such as Maryland, one cookie which is about the same size as mine are like 55kcal per cookie and about 7g of carbs and around the same amount of sugar. They also have chocolate chips added.

Now I was wondering if some of these ingredients aren't necessary. Such as the flour and the baking powder. I didn't use baking powder in this batch because I didn't have any and they taste great. What exactly is the flour used for oatmeal cookies? Is it possible to go without?

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Also, I was wondering if I could use Syrup instead of Sugar and Butter to get the sweet taste, but also allow the oat's to stick together.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Zichu wrote: »
    BUMP

Also, I was wondering if I could use Syrup instead of Sugar and Butter to get the sweet taste, but also allow the oat's to stick together.

I would use sugar-free syrup....
  • cjcoxson
    cjcoxson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cut out the flour. The cookies will be less crumbly, more " rubbery" but still taste good. Pulverize 1/3 of your oats into oat flour, and keep the remaining as "while flakes". Keep baking powder it helps the cookies rise. Cut out the butter and oil, add in apple sauce or two mashed bananas
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cjcoxson wrote: »
    Cut out the flour. The cookies will be less crumbly, more " rubbery" but still taste good. Pulverize 1/3 of your oats into oat flour, and keep the remaining as "while flakes". Keep baking powder it helps the cookies rise. Cut out the butter and oil, add in apple sauce or two mashed bananas

This^

Oat flour is yummy.
  • babysteps2skinny
    babysteps2skinny Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/ahT5jeEz8pw

I tried these...very very simple and a good use for ripe bananas lol. If you click on the video it will take you to the recipe.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I tried these...very very simple and a good use for ripe bananas lol. If you click on the video it will take you to the recipe.

Tried those too. Ended in the trash. Yuck.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That was my experience too. Totally not worth the calories.
  • babysteps2skinny
    Options
    Really? Lol I loved it with chocolate chips!
  • babysteps2skinny
    Options

Really? I liked them with chocolate chips in them. What ingredients did you use?
  • DearestWinter
    Options

Really? I liked them with chocolate chips in them. What ingredients did you use?

I used the recipe at SkinnyTaste with oats, bananas and chocolate chips. I did not care for the flavor or the texture. I also weighed everything so I could get an accurate calorie count and each small cookie was 85 calories. I would rather use an extra 40 calories to eat a delicious homemade chocolate chip cookie.
  • babysteps2skinny
    Options

I used the recipe at SkinnyTaste with oats, bananas and chocolate chips. I did not care for the flavor or the texture. I also weighed everything so I could get an accurate calorie count and each small cookie was 85 calories. I would rather use an extra 40 calories to eat a delicious homemade chocolate chip cookie.

Hmmm maybe cinnamon made the difference in mine...lol I love cinnamon!! I haven't tried them without cinnamon.
  • babysteps2skinny
    Options

The video above is actually my own. :) Decided to make videos instead of writing down recipes when I find something that works out for me. Try cinnamon if you ever want to give it another try and let me know what you think. :)
  • DearestWinter
    Options

The video above is actually my own. :) Decided to make videos instead of writing down recipes when I find something that works out for me. Try cinnamon if you ever want to give it another try and let me know what you think. :)

Yes, after I made the cookies I realized they would've been better with some spice like cinnamon.

I think you posted a video recipe on another thread with berries and pound cake? Not sure if that was yours but it looked similar. I was going to try that one.
  • babysteps2skinny
    Options

Yes, after I made the cookies I realized they would've been better with some spice like cinnamon.

I think you posted a video recipe on another thread with berries and pound cake? Not sure if that was yours but it looked similar. I was going to try that one.

Spices are what will help us stick to a healthy diet lol
    Yes that video is mine too :) Do tell me what you think and if I can improve on anything please. I would appreciate that. My hubby is a photographer and he convinced me to start making videos of what I try just to get me to start cooking. Lol I am loving it so far! The result has been amazing for we are creating new recipes and amazingly, even though we have made and tried desserts along with regular food, I have lost 5 pounds. Guess home made food is always better than eating out.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Zichu wrote: »
    Hey, for the past month or so I have been trying different recipes and ideas for Oatmeal Cookies. I have tried using simple ingredients that allow for a low calorie cookie, but it ends up to dry. I have tried using Banana to keep the ingredients together, it worked, but it was a little sickly.

I have just made a batch, no banana's and went with using:

Plain Flour
    Baking Powder
    White Sugar
    Brown Sugar
    Cinnamon
    Salt
    Oats
    Butter
    Vanilla Extract
    Egg Whites

I made a batch of 24 cookies and 1 cookie is 90kcal , 4g fat, 2g saturated fat, 13g carbs, 5g sugar and 2g protein. Now the only problem I am having is the fact that the amount of carbs and calories are too high compared to some of the cookies on the market. Such as Maryland, one cookie which is about the same size as mine are like 55kcal per cookie and about 7g of carbs and around the same amount of sugar. They also have chocolate chips added.

Now I was wondering if some of these ingredients aren't necessary. Such as the flour and the baking powder. I didn't use baking powder in this batch because I didn't have any and they taste great. What exactly is the flour used for oatmeal cookies? Is it possible to go without?

Approximately what quantities did you use?