Do cravings go away???

Options
Trying to get ride of the sugar ( soda, tea, lemonade cakes etc..). Does the cravings for this ever go away?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What is your reason for trying to eliminate sugar from your diet? I can't imagine living that way for the rest of my life. Have you tried just staying in your calorie limit and indulging in small servings of food you love?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    They might, or they might not. For some they do, for some they don't.

Statistically speaking, eliminating a certain type of food doesn't work out well in the long run. You can have reasonable portions of anything and still lose weight. If you don't have a major health issue, sugar in moderation is not a big deal. (Soda can really add up quickly and generally the advice is not to drink your calories)

Why, exactly, do you want to eliminate it?
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Cutting out all of life's delicious foods, or labeling certain food as "bad" vs "healthy" is a recipe for failure.

The point of counting calories, IMO, is to learn portion control. Not to deprive yourself/make your weightloss experience into a miserable punishment. Find ways to fit smaller portions of the sugary treats you like into your daily calories and you won't crave so much, or be tempted to binge and quit.
  • shanerichard1441
    shanerichard1441 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's a control thing. As long as I stay away I'm good. I want it but can avoid it. Once I give in I over do it and blow my cal count. I can't just have one cookie or small taste of cake or coke. That's why I was asking.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My sugar cravings completely disappeared once I just stopped eating sweet stuff. This was the late 90s, a heady time for us all.

I have zero desire for sweet food of any kind these days, and frankly it's glorious. I'm kickin' it savory now, baby.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Once I kicked the junk food sugar stuff, it was easy to avoid them. It took some time to kick that habit. I do allow ice-cream in my diet on a daily basis. I stay within my calorie count.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Once you stop eating sugar and carbs cravings go away and appetite decreases. The best part is there are excellent sugar substitutes and great low carbs recipes.107 lbs gone since Jan 2015.
  • katiestenton
    katiestenton Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's a control thing. As long as I stay away I'm good. I want it but can avoid it. Once I give in I over do it and blow my cal count. I can't just have one cookie or small taste of cake or coke. That's why I was asking.

This is my exact problem! I thought it was just me.I just finished the 21 day sugar detox, i felt great whilst i did it and didnt miss the sugar, but since ive finished ive had like 3000cals each day on a crazy sugar binge and cant stop! Not sure what the answer is because i dont want to deprive myself forever, but cant carry on as i am

• marie_holcomb
    marie_holcomb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem for chocolate and bread but if you take small amounts of things you like. What helped me is if you drink a lot of water and make your own food, when you homemake food you loose the craving a little more each time. And overtime if you're persistent on eating or drinking healthy stuff (for me it was Green tea - no sugar or anything added) your taste buds will adjust.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried cutting anything completely out except for wheat. Oh, I still eat it, just in much smaller amounts.

That really seems to be the key for me. I've lost 60 lbs in the last 12 months and it's portion and calorie control. Eat what you want, including sugar, but log *everything* and stay within your calorie goal. The weight will come off that way. I know if I want a donut, I can have it I just have to allow for it in my total calories.

I still have cravings but that could be because I never cut anything completely out. I never did crave more wheat though as I scaled it back.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My cravings for sweet stuff went away completely, but I did have to cut out sweet stuff completely for that to happen. I do, though, have some protein shakes that are artificially sweetened and they help, rather that hurt. And like zoink66 said, they taste much sweeter after cutting out other stuff. Some people respond badly to artificial sweeteners, too, though. Anyway... point here being that my experience with that would indicate that it's not the taste driving my cravings, but rather something hormonal and affected by ingestion of refined sugar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. After cutting carbs to low levels, and sugar to minimal levels, my cravings were gone within a week.

When my carb intake increases, or I eat moderate carbs at a meal, my cravings and appetite will increase though. My cravings are gone only as long as I eat LCHf.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    zoink66 wrote: »
    Trying to get ride of the sugar ( soda, tea, lemonade cakes etc..). Does the cravings for this ever go away?

Yes, they do.

Plus, once you start eating less sugar, the sugary things you do eat will taste much sweeter, so you end up satisfied with strawberries instead of cake.

Funny because that never happened to me. Gimme cake and chocolate.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost my craving to sugar and other processed food after gradually cutting back on them :smile:
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow - what an awesome post!! It's too sensible for a lot of the all or nothing crowd but I'm sure it will help many people!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Nah, cravings come and go depending on what else you are eating, doing, feeling. For example, I've been craving pizza for a couple or three Thursdays in a row ... so maybe next time I have a craving for it I'll go have some.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

I began this journey during Girl Scout Cookie season with Girl Scout Cookies in the house. For the first couple of weeks, I had 1 serving of cookies, which in the case of the little G.S. lemon cookie is 5 cookies. For every day of this journey I've worked in an office which freely offers candy and snacks. For the first month of this journey I planned and had 1 chocolate candy. Some days it was a Snickers mini. Other days it was a Hershey Kiss. I did not try to conquer the sugar craving. One day, the cookies were gone. One day, I just didn't want the candy. Perhaps you can plan to have one small sweet after a filling meal of protein and vegetables. You might be able to corral this appetite into a manageable zone. Indeed, you may be able to grow (mentally) away from it.

As it is you have already declared failure. That's no way to succeed.