One month in : working out. NEED DIET ADVICE please!!!

Options
So I just started working out about a month ago. I've been very consistent with 5-6 days a week and I love it. This whole healthy eating thing is my downfall. I DID cut soda from like 3-4 a DAY to maybe one or two a week

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    The eating is the most important part. For me I ate the same as I always did but less of it
    I also switched to diet drinks
    Don't make it too complicated for yourself so you get fed up and quit
    Good luck
  • Whitneyklarich88
    Whitneyklarich88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, the diet is my weakness for sure. And I knew from the beginning - if I tell myself that I can't have something, I'm going to want it even more. So I've been trying to make smarter choices throughout the day little things here and there like fruits n whatnot for snacks instead of chips etc. Also, i hate to even admit it but i was eating fast food once a day, often twice even. Now maybe twice a week and just smarter options. It's helped a lot. Then when I eat the unhealthy things I just cut back on the amount. I knew if I started out eating like a rabbit I would be setting myself up to fail. Thanks for the input! Maybe one day I'll work my way up to a super healthy diet but for now I'm just taking it day by day :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Check out IIFYM.com. I find it's a great starting point to set you up with proper macros and enough calories to fuel your body properly while still losing. Additionally, this article here is very helpful: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

I still eat pizza, a cookie here and there, ice cream, popcorn ... all in moderation and certainly only on occasion, but by telling myself that nothing is off limits if it fits my macros (IIFYM), I've been able to lose 1.5+ lbs/week consistently since February for a total of 18 so far, while retaining/developing muscle. I haven't felt deprived, and since I focus on hitting my macros (especially when it comes to protein, fat, and then also keeping sugar in check, and hitting all of my nutrients (calcium, vitamins, iron, fiber, etc), I feel really good all around, have energy for all of my training, and am not thinking about food 24/7 because there are things I "cannot" have :)
  • Whitneyklarich88
    Whitneyklarich88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks much! I have to learn what these macros are because I have no idea lol. But I will definitely look at that link. Thanks again for the feedback! :)
  • mhealea
    mhealea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The Right meal plan is the missing key to everyone fitness journey. balancing the right amount of calorie intake with a correct macros to the fitness level you are at. feel free to add me to your friends list. I also belong to a online fitness group which is more like a family and we will be starting a new boot camp style workout program that comes with a 3 week meal plan and HIIT programs that is designed for both males and females.. just if you are interested. I had great results from this program along with many others.