Watermelon

Options
chylom
chylom Posts: 48 Member
All I can say is that the amount of sugar in watermelon P*sses me off ! When did sweet cold watery fruit become so evil ? :(

Replies

• plentyoo7
    plentyoo7 Posts: 38
    Options
    I know what you mean, I love watermelon. Sadly it's sugar content is almost as bad table sugar. Blergh.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    AGREED!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I did not know that. I thought melon was good for you in general. Guess i was wrong. I will cut back on watermelon from now on! Thanks :)
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Better for you to eat than cookies and cheesecake!!!!!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    a plus is that it has potassium, fiber and lycopene and it's a sugar that works with the vitamins instead of sugar in processed foods. Don't be so hard on yourself, watermelon is one of life's pleasures in the summertime if you ask me!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I love watermelon, stop with all your lies!!
    I just bought one and it will be eaten for dessert, better than chocolate ice cream!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I eat it and a lot of other fruit and have no problems...hmmmm maybe it affects others differentely.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I think the good would out weigh the bad. Better then processed sweet stuff.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Hate watermelon, or any melon for that matter.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    forget about the sugar, watermelon is awesome for you!!! It is a natural source of sugar and many other vitamins! I wouldnt be giving it up so quickly. It is a summer fruit and best to be eaten then because it is ripe and most delicious!! Taper off you other fruits and just eat watermelon to keep you 'sugars' in check if you must.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Melons in general are good, pretty low glycemic - Watermelon is the exception though. If I even look at a watermelon, my blood sugar spikes and fall asleep immediately - I kid of course :) But I don't eat it for that reason. I stick with cantaloupe and honeydew.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Compared to the fruit in an apple or banana, I don't think it's bad.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not giving up my Watermelon.... I would rather have that, then some of the other fruits that are higher is acids and sugar and at least its natural.
  • plentyoo7
    plentyoo7 Posts: 38
    Options
    Geesh. I'm not saying watermelon is horrible and obviously it's better than processed stuff. Calm down folks.

Personally I eat a low GI diet and I get horrible sugar highs from super sweet fruit like watermelon, dates, etc. Think a kid on pixie sticks, that's me on natural fruits. No lie.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm not low carbing so if its within my calories that day and I want it.. I eat it!
  • amaczu
    amaczu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It might be a high GI fruit but you'd have to eat like 5-6 cups of Watermelon to spike your blood sugar as much as 1 unit of glucose...
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just had some, it just looked so good! lol