Am I doing this right?

Options
So I decided I needed to loose weight when I bent over to paint my toenails and lost my breath.

I have been working on calorie counting and some strength training since january and have been loosing weight regularly; now I would like to see the body fat percentage go down.

I have worked my way up to 4 circuts of 10 reps each for two different workouts, and now want to add more running.

Sunday would be a big day with a lot of exertion. My husband and I will go on a run/jog/walk cycle, repeating several times for almost 3 miles. He's my best motivator, keeps me pushing for my best.

Monday- Wednesday- Friday I alternate between:
workout 1: squats, pushups, dumbell row
Workout 2: squats with weights, standing 1arm dumbell press, and dumbell pullover
(we have a weight bench, not a full home gym and can't afford a gym membership, doing the best i can with what we have...)

I planned on adding a 20 minute jog on the days I dont workout, walks on the days I do.

I know when begining you should pace yourself by the ability to hold a conversation while you move, but not long into a jog I am already breathless.

Am I organizing a fitness routine properly? And what can I do to improve my endurance so I can jog for longer periods of time without feeling the need to walk three minutes in?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Working out from home with minimal equipment is easy. Check out Fitnessblender.com for some great strength training workouts as well as some great cardio and hiit. They also have a youtube channel which I love!

Have you looked into the couch to 5k (C25K) program? My friend did it last year and she managed a 5k race last fall. I'm thinking of starting it myself once the summer starts and it's nice enough outside.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running, start slow and build. It will get easier and fun. It takes weeks of regular running to build endurance. Running really helps me lose weight too.
  • CeeCeeRed
    CeeCeeRed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Working out from home with minimal equipment is easy. Check out Fitnessblender.com for some great strength training workouts as well as some great cardio and hiit. They also have a youtube channel which I love!

Have you looked into the couch to 5k (C25K) program? My friend did it last year and she managed a 5k race last fall. I'm thinking of starting it myself once the summer starts and it's nice enough outside.

I'll have to look into that, haven't heard of it before.
    We have a lot of yard work to do in the home we just bought so that shoukd be a great asist too. Hoping to get grom 160 to 120 by the end of July. Already down from I'm guessing 180 in January.
  • CeeCeeRed
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    When it comes to running, start slow and build. It will get easier and fun. It takes weeks of regular running to build endurance. Running really helps me lose weight too.

Thats what I plan on trying to do during the week with the one extra effort day. My husband ran track sprints in highschool and even though it's been years he can still hit the ground running with no effort. I'm much slower.

Should I jog each day or alternate between jogging and walking?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    CeeCeeRed wrote: »

We have a lot of yard work to do in the home we just bought so that shoukd be a great asist too. Hoping to get grom 160 to 120 by the end of July. Already down from I'm guessing 180 in January.

I started at 181 in January. Down to 151 now. Yard work is excellent for getting some muscles worked. Did some last week and had worse DOMS than my last lifting session lol.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Landscaping and hardscaping can have me lifting lots of 50# bags, pushing wheel barrels, sledge hammering concrete... It is a great workout as long as you treat it that way and maintain good form. Otherwise it can be grunt work.

Fitness Blender has circuits of bodyweight moves that can help you build your endurance and overall fitness. PopSugar is another app.

It seems like your training is missing pulling movements. You may want to add a suspension trainer (TRX). You can work some some pull work into your existing routine with a strap.
  • CeeCeeRed
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Landscaping and hardscaping can have me lifting lots of 50# bags, pushing wheel barrels, sledge hammering concrete... It is a great workout as long as you treat it that way and maintain good form. Otherwise it can be grunt work.

Fitness Blender has circuits of bodyweight moves that can help you build your endurance and overall fitness. PopSugar is another app.

It seems like your training is missing pulling movements. You may want to add a suspension trainer (TRX). You can work some some pull work into your existing routine with a strap.

We have a lot of flowers to dig up, bushes and their stumps to remove, so a lot of digging.

I'll look into pulling movements, see what I can do. Like i said we only have a weight bench so I'm missing things at home.
  • CeeCeeRed
    Options

I started at 181 in January. Down to 151 now. Yard work is excellent for getting some muscles worked. Did some last week and had worse DOMS than my last lifting session lol.

Lol I'll be digging a lot. Been trimming bushes to prepare to dig out the stumps. There are also large rocks and everywhere and smaller river rocks in scattered patches.
  • Firedrake2001
    Firedrake2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thats what I plan on trying to do during the week with the one extra effort day. My husband ran track sprints in highschool and even though it's been years he can still hit the ground running with no effort. I'm much slower.

Don't try to jog every day if you are just starting to run. You can injure yourself if you try to do too much too quickly. Alternate between walking and jogging.

Also, if you are out of breath while jogging, you are running too fast. Slow down.
  • CeeCeeRed
    Options

Don't try to jog every day if you are just starting to run. You can injure yourself if you try to do too much too quickly. Alternate between walking and jogging.

Also, if you are out of breath while jogging, you are running too fast. Slow down.

I can't jog very long before I am out of breath, sadly.
    I plan to start the Couck - 5K program sugested by another user this week. I'm hoping that will help.
  • Firedrake2001
    Firedrake2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I plan to start the Couck - 5K program sugested by another user this week. I'm hoping that will help.

I just finished C25K and it was a great help. I can now jog 4 miles without a break. When you do it, don't focus on running fast. From what I understand, most people can't run a 5k in 30 minutes by the time they finish (I certainly can't, I've just reached 12 minutes per mile). Even during C25K you should slow down your pace if you start getting out of breath. Also, if you can't complete any of the workouts, don't be afraid to repeat a week or a day - many people do. Your speed will improve over time as you add distance to your runs.

• CeeCeeRed
    Options

I just finished C25K and it was a great help. I can now jog 4 miles without a break. When you do it, don't focus on running fast. From what I understand, most people can't run a 5k in 30 minutes by the time they finish (I certainly can't, I've just reached 12 minutes per mile). Even during C25K you should slow down your pace if you start getting out of breath. Also, if you can't complete any of the workouts, don't be afraid to repeat a week or a day - many people do. Your speed will improve over time as you add distance to your runs.

I'm hoping i wont have to repeat any weeks but i certaintly will if neeed. I will be walking on tbe other days so hopefully that will help some.