Pills

Options
Thoughs on weight loss pills?
Im really wanting to lose this weight ad findig it really hard!

Replies

• myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i don't think they are any good. there is no magic pill that will help loose weight. at least, not for the long haul.
    it all boils down to calories in v. calories out :)

eat a balanced diet and stay away from heavily processed foods. drink lots of water and exercise.

don't loose hope! its a long and sometimes difficult road to reach where you want to be, but trust me - YOU CAN DO IT

~M
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I woudn't suggest them, as they're probably not the best long-term solution.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    i don't think they are any good. there is no magic pill that will help loose weight. at least, not for the long haul.

eat a balanced diet and stay away from heavily processed foods. drink lots of water and exercise.

don't loose hope! its a long and sometimes difficult road to reach where you want to be, but trust me - YOU CAN DO IT

~M

THIS!
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex when i was 18, for about 3 months. I lost 20 pounds, and then stopped taking the pill. Gained it right back. Weight loss pills don't last for long, and you can't take them forever. You have to learn how to maintain your diet, and weight, for LIFE! There is no easy way out. Pills can only boost your confidence, but then it's all up to you. You might as well begin your journey by yourself now :)
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest here...
    please don't do the pill thing. it's so not healthy.

this is a fitness site... not a let's take a pill and lose weight site.
    just do this the old fashion - hard work - get results way.
    Change your lifestyle -- eat healthier - be active. you can do it, have faith and believe in yourself.

** also, I just clicked on your profile - sweetie, change your title to something other than "becca's fat page"...
    you are so much better than that.

Look how far you have come to make an effort. Stay positive. We are all here to help and support you. You can do this...
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options

~M

Agree 100% this is a life style change which means its for life. Alot of people want to lose weight now but its more then its, its about being an all around healthier you, you can do it!
  • rosieef
    rosieef Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really do see the attraction of them - why would you put in the hard work if you can just take a pill every day? Thing is though, it doesn't actually work. Some people lose a lot of weight on them - mostly water - and as soon as they stop talking the pills they gain back more than they lost. I took some for less than a week, I couldn't stick at it because they gave me horrendous headaches and I had the shakes so much I couldn't think, let alone exercise safely.

Unfortunately the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to have a healthy lifestyle. Obviously not what a lot of people want to hear, but there you go...
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

Change your lifestyle -- eat healthier - be active. you can do it, have faith and believe in yourself.

** also, I just clicked on your profile - sweetie, change your title to something other than "becca's fat page"...

Look how far you have come to make an effort. Stay positive. We are all here to help and support you. You can do this...
    Great answer. Completely agree with everything you had to say.

On a side note, I have heard that in places such as Hong Kong it isn't uncommon for young women to take pills containing tape worm eggs. The worm grows in their body and makes them lose weight. o_o Not sure if this is completely true or not though. I can give a sure answer in around 1.5 years when I go there
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There is no easy way out in weight loss. Pills are NOT the answer.

Pills can cause you to lose weight, but eventually you have to wean yourself off of them, they aren't good for your body. And if you haven't changed how/what you eat, the weight will just pile back on.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options

On a side note, I have heard that in places such as Hong Kong it isn't uncommon for young women to take pills containing tape worm eggs. The worm grows in their body and makes them lose weight. o_o Not sure if this is completely true or not though. I can give a sure answer in around 1.5 years when I go there

It is true! You can order them online too, they are tape worm eggs. So disgusting. They feed off your body and take all your nutrients, then eventually die and you poop them out.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

DITTO!
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There is a stigma attached to taking diet pills. I think if you use them in conjunction with healthy eating and consistent exercise, they help. Since they work to increase your metabolism and suppress your appetite, they can be an aid in starting a lifestyle change or getting over a plateau.

As long as you follow the directions, which includes stopping after the bottle is gone, you should be fine. Even if they just suppress your appetite a bit, isn't that helpful? It's obvious that if you just take the pills, take the pills and eat garbage/don't exercise, etc. they won't help. I think it is pretty clear that they are not magic pills. A diet pill is a supplement and should be treated as such.

You should also do your research so you are not taking a worthless pill. Who would want to take something without doing their research first anyway? Use it if you can use it right.
  • kingkong123
    Options
    And if you haven't changed how/what you eat, the weight will just pile back on.

If you haven't changed what you eat, why even try to lose weight? Or count your calories?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Pills are not the answer. That being said, sometimes they can help. But get them from your doctor. A good, trustworthy doctor. I made an appointment last summer when I feared something was keeping me from losing, like a thyroid problem or insulin resistance. Everything was normal. But she did prescribe me Phentermine pills, which are appetite suppressants. They're not meant to be taken for very long, so you have to prepare yourself for going off them. If you don't learn to make some lifestyle changes, whatever weight you might lose will just come back on. My doctor would only give me three month's worth, and I went back to her each month to track my progress. It did help quite a bit. If you're struggling, perhaps a visit to your doctor is best. Not for pills. But for your overall health. Good luck!
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Watch Requiem For A Dream. I know it's not a documentary or anything, but it made me ask many questions when my mom told me she got diet pills from her doctor.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    There is a stigma attached to taking diet pills. I think if you use them in conjunction with healthy eating and consistent exercise, they help. Since they work to increase your metabolism and suppress your appetite, they can be an aid in starting a lifestyle change or getting over a plateau.

As long as you follow the directions, which includes stopping after the bottle is gone, you should be fine. Even if they just suppress your appetite a bit, isn't that helpful? It's obvious that if you just take the pills, take the pills and eat garbage/don't exercise, etc. they won't help. I think it is pretty clear that they are not magic pills. A diet pill is a supplement and should be treated as such.

You should also do your research so you are not taking a worthless pill. Who would want to take something without doing their research first anyway? Use it if you can use it right.

exactly, i use a pill , do i just think its going to do the trick no.
    thats why i have change my eating habbits ,as well as getting very active .
    doing insanity now as well as keeping up my strenght training at the gym,

love the gym
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

It is true! You can order them online too, they are tape worm eggs. So disgusting. They feed off your body and take all your nutrients, then eventually die and you poop them out.

oh wow. You can buy them online? o____o Thats so disgusting haha. I thought u had to drink alcohol to kill them though.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

love the gym

So let's examine why these two philosophies don't work.

1st, the question you need to ask is: Do they work? And along with that is the obvious "Are they safe?" question. This is not something you can just answer, each pill is different, some do what they say, some don't, some are relatively safe if taken per the instructions, some are not, that's something you'll have to decide.

2nd is the more subtle issue of adherence. What is the main point of not just "dieting" but actually changing your lifestyle to be healthy? Well, a big part of the answer is developing healthy habits. When you take a pill, eventually you'll have to learn how to eat healthy AGAIN, after they are gone. So you're making more work for you at the end of the timeline, because no matter how diligent you were while taking them, once you go off them, your body chemistry will change, which means changing your eating habits again to accommodate.

3rd is the mental aspects of taking a pill. As humans, much of our self-esteem and attitude comes from our accomplishments, learning how to be healthy, eat healthy, and live healthy is a major accomplishment, it's sometimes that little extra feeling that helps someone stay on the right track where otherwise they would (again) turn to food for comfort in times of emotional stress. If you take a pill, somewhere in the back of your mind, even if you don't see it or acknowledge it, you know you didn't do it alone, maybe this never becomes an issue, but maybe it does. Is this pill really worth it?

Now you have to ask why you WOULD take a pill. What's the reason? Are you having trouble losing weight? Are you losing weight but just want it faster? Do you have some artificial deadline (like a trip or a wedding)? Of all these (and almost all) reasons for taking pills, the only one I will address is the first one (trouble), as the rest I feel are excuses, not real reasons, and should be dismissed. If you have trouble losing weight, the solution isn't a pill it's figuring out why you are having trouble. Most often it's because you've either used the wrong strategy, not given it enough time, tried for to much to fast, or simply haven't adhered to the program like you should (face it now). In all of these cases, a good solid examination of your current situation, and a few months of hard work will probably solve your issues. The only situation where I could even SEE a pill is when someone is either morbidly obese and has immediate threat of death, or some other medical situation where regular methods are rendered ineffective, and even then, you should be under doctors care while taking them.

this is my opinion.

As always, I'm available to help if you need individual support. Feel free to PM me and I can help you find a program that WILL allow you to lose weight successfully without a pill. Make no mistake, I'm not a doctor, but I know my stuff!.

regards,

SHBoss1673
  • kingkong123
    Options

love the gym

So let's examine why these two philosophies don't work.

1st, the question you need to ask is: Do they work? And along with that is the obvious "Are they safe?" question. This is not something you can just answer, each pill is different, some do what they say, some don't, some are relatively safe if taken per the instructions, some are not, that's something you'll have to decide.

2nd is the more subtle issue of adherence. What is the main point of not just "dieting" but actually changing your lifestyle to be healthy? Well, a big part of the answer is developing healthy habits. When you take a pill, eventually you'll have to learn how to eat healthy AGAIN, after they are gone. So you're making more work for you at the end of the timeline, because no matter how diligent you were while taking them, once you go off them, your body chemistry will change, which means changing your eating habits again to accommodate.

3rd is the mental aspects of taking a pill. As humans, much of our self-esteem and attitude comes from our accomplishments, learning how to be healthy, eat healthy, and live healthy is a major accomplishment, it's sometimes that little extra feeling that helps someone stay on the right track where otherwise they would (again) turn to food for comfort in times of emotional stress. If you take a pill, somewhere in the back of your mind, even if you don't see it or acknowledge it, you know you didn't do it alone, maybe this never becomes an issue, but maybe it does. Is this pill really worth it?

Now you have to ask why you WOULD take a pill. What's the reason? Are you having trouble losing weight? Are you losing weight but just want it faster? Do you have some artificial deadline (like a trip or a wedding)? Of all these (and almost all) reasons for taking pills, the only one I will address is the first one (trouble), as the rest I feel are excuses, not real reasons, and should be dismissed. If you have trouble losing weight, the solution isn't a pill it's figuring out why you are having trouble. Most often it's because you've either used the wrong strategy, not given it enough time, tried for to much to fast, or simply haven't adhered to the program like you should (face it now). In all of these cases, a good solid examination of your current situation, and a few months of hard work will probably solve your issues. The only situation where I could even SEE a pill is when someone is either morbidly obese and has immediate threat of death, or some other medical situation where regular methods are rendered ineffective, and even then, you should be under doctors care while taking them.

this is my opinion.

As always, I'm available to help if you need individual support. Feel free to PM me and I can help you find a program that WILL allow you to lose weight successfully without a pill. Make no mistake, I'm not a doctor, but I know my stuff!.

regards,

SHBoss1673

Not to be defensive. Just providing my thoughts.

1 - Obviously. Some will work, some won't. You can say that about anything. Vitamins. Whether or not food is organic or made with the ingredients they claim. Anything. If someone is willing to just pop a pill without researching it, then good luck to them in all of their life's endeavors because they'll need it.

2 - I said there's no point in taking them if you are not going to change your eating habits, i.e., while taking the pill. First couple weeks of eating healthy can be tough and something to supress your appetite can help. At the end of the diet pill stage, you should recognize how much food you really need to be healthy. You're body chemistry/metabolism isn't going to change from one cycle.

3 - You're really going to generalize for all humans? You kind of recognize that you can't when you say it might be an issue, it might not. 3 seems like pretty specific stuff though. I would think eating healthy and exercising while losing weight would be a mental/emotional/spiritual victory for anyone, diet pill or not. Especially for someone who is eating garbage or not exercising and overweight.

Everyone's different and too many times people are quick to say nope, doesn't work or sure, you should definitely do this. Eat healthier, exercise more. We get it. There is a ton of different things that people have done and seen success though. Everyone should have those options to see what works.

Personal experience - used a pill, lost weight. Continued exercising and eating healthy/bettter than I was. Not only was my metabolism not all screwed up, but I went on vacation for a week (ate, drank, didn't exercise) and didn't gain much weight. If anything my metabolism was better from cardio and weightlifting.

Use a pill if you feel it will help. Don't if you have too many concerns.