Low Carb Help - Please look at my log

Options
Hi all! I just started a low carb diet. Trying to stay under 50 grams of carbs. Not easy when everything to include broccoli and cauliflower has carbs in it. But, the 3 days I have done this diet, I have steadily GAINED weight. Can someone who knows anything about low-carb look at my Wednesday, Thursday and Friday menu logs and see what I am doing wrong? I would so appreciate it. Thank you!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

Also, are you trying to go keto or just low carb? I'm pretty sure even for ketosis you can subtract your fiber and use net carbs. You realize broccoli and cauliflower have a lot of fiber? My total carbs over say 75-100 but net is usually 50.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2873?manu=&fgcd=

So technically frozen broccoli has 1.35 g of carbs per 100g.
    If you are in teh US, subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net. If you are outside the US, the lael alsready has this done.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    arditarose and kuranda10, I have made it public, Sorry I thought I had it changed correctly. Can you take a look now? I am trying to get into Ketosis to lose some weight. Thank you!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "Meat loaf" with carbs in it ? sugar at that. Ditch that and eat meat instead.

Apple ? No. Coffeemate ? No.

Various low fat things too, lose them, you want the fat not the carbs.

You won't be getting into ketosis quickly with 28g of sugar in a day, so focus on the "added sugar" things.

If ketosis is the goal you need to wind down the protein too and have more grams of fat than protein.

30ba22412d462a64978b2162122ef9b0.png
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you added to your meatloaf but I would just make hamburger patties instead. I would also personally cut out the bacon and cottage cheese because they are typically loaded in sodium which could be contributing to water weight gain. If you are trying to stay at 50g of carbs it is going to be really difficult to do while eating apples as one apple is basically half your carb allotment. I'd also look for a yogurt that is lower in carbs but they can be difficult to find.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Cut the breadcrumbs from your meatloaf and use grated parmesean instead. If you need breadcrumbs to "coat something, use ground pork rinds instead.

Use Greek Yogurt instead of anything Dannon, Yoplait etc.
    You'll start to find that Dairy has more carbs than you think (milk, soft cheeses)

Fruit on low carb usually stays towards berries and some melons. Apples, bannanas, etc are really high in carbs unless you are measuring out that 25g worth.

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    The yogurt is killer. Go for full fat yogurt whenever possible. If you have a Kroger or Fred Meyer, they sell "Carbmaster" yogurt that clock in at just 4g of net carbs, and they're pretty yummy. I personally hated full fat Fage yogurt. Just too rich!

Carl's Jr (Hardee's) puts quite a lot of veggies in their low carb burgers. I did better carb wise by removing tomato and some of the onion, etc. Use pork rinds, flax seed, a tablespoon of coconut flour, etc to reduce the carbs in ground meat dishes. That meatloaf is a little scary :)

You seem to be on the right track, which is awesome! My biggest concern is your amount of fat. You're going to need more than 45% fat if you're eating ultra low carb.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Ok I will adjust those things. I was afraid I had to much fat in the plan, so I can definitely add more. Thanks all!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    mostein wrote: »
    Not sure what you added to your meatloaf but I would just make hamburger patties instead. I would also personally cut out the bacon and cottage cheese because they are typically loaded in sodium which could be contributing to water weight gain. If you are trying to stay at 50g of carbs it is going to be really difficult to do while eating apples as one apple is basically half your carb allotment. I'd also look for a yogurt that is lower in carbs but they can be difficult to find.

A low carb/keto diet actually needs more sodium than the average more macro balanced diet. Because water is not bring retained in carb storage and sodium is water soluble, it's flushed out readily. Someone on a keto diet needs more sodium than the typical RDA. I have heard around 3500-5000 mg/day.
  • miss_e81
    miss_e81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need more sodium on a low carb plan, so don't fret about sodium.
    I'd change the Dannon yogurt to the Greek light and fit.
    Use pork rinds in the meatloaf instead of crackers, or just do straight meat.
    Cottage cheese is actually a great side or snack on low carb (don't do light).
    If you need a fruit, try strawberries or raspberries instead but in moderation.
    Things that save me on carbs that I've found I love: shirataki noodles instead of regular noodles. Zoodles (making noodles out of zucchini), cottage cheese, almonds, atkins snacks for on the go ease and I stalk the "Low Carbing Among Friends" facebook page for recipes.

You are welcome to look at my diary for ideas on low carb :)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    @miss_e81 Your food diary is closed :smile:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • miss_e81
    miss_e81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oooh I didn't realize! Fixed it.
    Also a tip I've found helpful: Walden Farms products. I replaced my coffee creamer and salad dressings etc with Walden Farms products completely.
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF.
    I've lost 107 lbs. since Jan 2015
    What a wonderful way to LIVE!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    @rerez2015, what is LCHF?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Low Carb High Fat
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    @REREZ2015, i googled it. Thanks!
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you are interested to do keto when you start your # need to look more like %5 carbs 75 % fat and 20 % protein. this may be a wee bit hard for you to start at first if you are a big carb eater. but this is how you will get into ketosis faster, and get keto adapted easier. you could start out with the 50 grams. of carbs but I stay away from fruit and starchy veggies, and bring your protein down. Do lot of research on it there is ton of info here and on the web. we also have a keto group that helps a ton. Good luck!!!
  • rerez2015
    rerez2015 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you need help, friend me.
    I have been doing low carb high fat since Jan 2015 and have lost 107 lbs so far.
  • djacksonunlv
    djacksonunlv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't judge anything on 3 days. Your body needs to burn through that glucose and then learn how to become keto-adaptive. The first signs of it working will be no "crashes", less hunger, maybe some sluggishness (during exercise) at first... but I tell you what, when your body becomes truly keto-adaptive, it's all worth it.