Thoughts on black coffee....

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
What are your thoughts on black coffee, Beneficial or harmful or just middle ground?

Also for people like me with sensitive stomachs to it with its laxative effects, It kind of sucks but is that harmful?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, I love it and drink it every day. YUM
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's like everything else in life -- it's good in moderation, but too much of anything can be bad. I like black coffee since it's near-zero calorie, tastes pretty good, and has some antioxidant benefits. Plus, the laxative effect is a good thing, at least for me. That said, drinking too much can wreck your circadian rhythms, and caffeine jitters aren't fun for anyone. And some people with heart problems can have palpatations when they drink it. But, otherwise, a few cups a day shouldnt hurt you. Even those super fancy, confection-like coffees can be enjoyed in occasion without any ill effects.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Life wouldn't be worth living without at least a couple cups of black coffee each day ... for me or those around me. :)
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on black coffee, Beneficial or harmful or just middle ground?

Also for people like me with sensitive stomachs to it with its laxative effects, It kind of sucks but is that harmful?

If made right, with good beans. Delicious and good for you. Done poorly, basically little better than the taste of fermented camel milk.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

I'd call that a plus ;)

Anyways, coffee's got hella polyphenols, as does cocoa powder, so I'd say it's good to consume them both. Together. Just don't develop a caffeine dependency; that'd be bad.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    about an hour after having coffee my stomach hurts and the laxative effect kicks in hard, I guess as long as its not to harmful its a plus :p the pain goes away fast
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Everything in moderation, I love it and drink it every day. YUM

2 things I need in the morning coffee and mfp
  • paul474747
    paul474747 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i take mine with black pepper anyone else do this ?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Coffee all day, errrrryday
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    if you've got a sensitive stomach, and just have a black coffee first thing in the morning without food, your stomach will growl and cramp like hell, although this is just personal experience. Although, I've found I can drink hot and iced black coffee fine, as long as it's lunch time or later,or if I have some food with it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love it, and the er bathroom aid is a plus in the morning for me (TMI). But honestly if it doesn't make you feel good there is zero reason to drink it. The only reason I drink it is I love the way it tastes and it doesn't bother my stomach at all or make me feel bad. (I do tend to drink too much of it over the course of a day, so will probably get serious about cutting back soon.)
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you like black coffee, drink black coffee. I personally need some sort of milk or non dairy creamer in it to give it a little flavor. I'm not a fan of black coffee and will only drink it if there is no creamer available. I know a lot of people will say that black is the ONLIEST way to drink it and if you "need" to put something in it then obviously the coffee is crap. I disagree with that statement as it's a matter of personal taste and preference.

And yes, coffee is notorious for having a laxative effect (called a "CID": Caffeine Induced Dump). I don't see it being harmful.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    about an hour after having coffee my stomach hurts and the laxative effect kicks in hard, I guess as long as its not to harmful its a plus :p the pain goes away fast

Pain? I can't see how black coffee is a good idea if it makes you experience pain. Is a nice strong steeped tea an option? Can you add milk to your coffee?

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How does anyone eat donuts without black coffee???
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Nope. Donuts require double double.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The coffee stays too hot for a wuss like me to drink. I don't mind waiting to drink but I want my donut now.

• HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of black coffee every morning, and that sets me up right.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I drink 8-12 cups of black coffee a day most days of my life.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get the "severe" coffee laxative effect since I stopped loading it down with half & half and sugar. Back then it made me cramp up and run to the bathroom. Drinking it black, it still helps get things moving in the morning without risk of blowing the bathroom clear off the house.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have a 24 oz cup everyday.
    If you want it, drink it. Not a problem.