Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the BBC?
    Or been on it?

I really hope you mean the British Broadcast Corporation.

Of course :wink:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    For those people who will say - "this place is just like the rest of the internet" - no, it isn't.

What internet do you use?

specialsnowflakes.com

:laugh:
    I am seriously laughing so hard, thank you for that.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I suspect there are a lot of cowards and bullies out there who are miserable and want to bring down others.
    There are cowards and bullies here, but I suspect they're on other internet forums (I'm not on any others, so I really don't know). Some people just feel better about themselves if they're putting others down. Don't confuse the people who make direct personal attacks for the sake of being mean with the people here who are just being snarky. There are plent of snarky, sarcastic, brutally honest people on here, but I don't consider them the cowards and bullies. Don't leave because of bullies. Call them out, ignore them, whatever...but don't allow them to run you off from this site.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I've actually been thinking of leaving MFP for this very reason. It wasn't like this even a year ago. Now, it's just so snarky, I don't bother adding posts to the forum. There are still plenty of nice people on the site, just don't try to find them on the forums. Best of luck in your goals!

Kidding right? A year ago, another poster told me to shut your fat face fatty over nothing. I do mean nothing. There are always going to be people you don't agree with, people that are rude, people that are snarky.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    For those people who will say - "this place is just like the rest of the internet" - no, it isn't.

specialsnowflakes.com

This is awesome!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This site is unlike most internet forums. Users are encouraged to post the same questions over and over, rather than searching. Users are sensitive special snowflakes who think that disagreeing is rude. Some users are wizards and defy the laws of thermodynamics. Yeah, it's different here.

I am not a wizard, but I've met one on the interwebz (actually right here on mfp), he had a certificate and everything.
  • hottbutch
    Options
    Forums aren't like the real world at all.

Cowards come here to bully because in real life most are too pathetic to say it to anyone's faces.They feel they can hide behind their computer.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Many people on here are so rude, I fear to post ANYTHING. When I have, I've spent hours wording my post, just to avoid any backlash that could occur. Thinking of every possible angle people could pin down and beat into submission.

It sucks, I know :sad:

Why not just ignore the stuff that bothers you? Why let a bunch of strangers and people you will probably never, ever see in real life bother you so much?
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options

specialsnowflakes.com

This is awesome!

:drinker:
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    This site is unlike most internet forums. Users are encouraged to post the same questions over and over, rather than searching. Users are sensitive special snowflakes who think that disagreeing is rude. Some users are wizards and defy the laws of thermodynamics. Yeah, it's different here.

I am not a wizard, but I've met one on the interwebz (actually right here on mfp), he had a certificate and everything.

I'm jealous!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Personally I have found the forums to be full of helpful advice and inspiration. I would never have come so far and learned so much without all the fantastic and helpful people who choose to answer questions, sometimes the same question over and over again with patience and kindness.

Yes you get the few odd snarky comments, some of which are just taken the wrong way by others. But it is easy to ignore them when you have such a wealth of experience and advice to choose from.We are grown ups we should be able to take or ignore a bit of snarkiness.

If you use the search function you will see many, many, threads just like this one that end up in exactly the type of thread that the original posters were objecting to in the first place.

Why fan the flames?:ohwell:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am wndering why the culture here is so different.

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?

You've obviously never been on a parenting or pregnancy forum, those b!tches be crazy.

Oh yeah, pregnancy forums--scariest place in the world.

I cut my teeth on BBC . . . man this place is tame as opposed to that one. I saw sometihng one time on here about discipline one time (I think) and was surprised that no one responded . . . over there everyone would have gotten bashed for one reason or another. Everything was a fight from what you feed your kid, when you feed your kid, how you feed your kid, the zip code you stand in when you feed your kid, how to appropriately dress them in any sort of weather or temperature or event, diapering, carrying, strollers, oh DAY. If there was a mountain to be made out of a mole hill . . . well there's your site.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    You haven't been on the WoW forums, have you?

truth lol
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    If you want a forum where everyone is nice and peachy please got to the rainbow&kittens forum.

Ps. It's up to you on how you let comments effect you. Mean, rude, snarky people exist everywhere.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Also - I wasn't talking about sunshine and rainbows - I'm talking about people who post in order to say nothing more than : the person who started this thread is an idiot.

Or - commenter above is stupid.

For those who have never belonged to a forum where peolpe didn't behave this way - I have news for you. It doesn't have to be that way. Just like in any gathering, you may or may not like everyone there, but some kinds of behaviour isn't tolerated.

Now that you've got all that out - do you feel better?
    You have a choice to read the forum or not. Coming in here and blasting your rant is just fueling the fire - done everyday by self-righteous do-gooders and responded to in exactly the same way. You don't like it? Don't let the door hit ya gbadass on the way out. *shrugs*

And there it is.
  • hottbutch
    Options

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?

You've obviously never been on a parenting or pregnancy forum, those b!tches be crazy.

Oh yeah, pregnancy forums--scariest place in the world.

HAHAHA
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Many people on here are so rude, I fear to post ANYTHING. When I have, I've spent hours wording my post, just to avoid any backlash that could occur. Thinking of every possible angle people could pin down and beat into submission.

It sucks, I know :sad:

Hours wording your posts? WHY? If you have a question, ask it, stand by it, be prepared for people to disagree. You know, like in the real world. There are a lot of people on this forum who need to grow some cajones.

Why? Because hastily worded comments, questions or solicitations for advice might as well be a giant "KICK ME"" label. Just like your comment...

I ask my questions, and so far, because I take my time thinking through what I want to ask or say, haven't had a problem.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    I cut my teeth on BBC . . .

It just keeps getting funnier....

:D
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I like MFP. I don't mind the comments that aren't all roses and rainbows, because that's life. Some of us offer tough love because that's what worked for us. Some people are funny and sarcastic and it makes for a good chuckle; I need that once in a while.

Granted there are rude people who take advantage of the anonymity of the computer to go beyond what is acceptable. They are not obeying the site rules. No one should be name-called, discredited, ridiculed, whatever, just because they have a different view. We are all giving our opinions and it should be taken as that. If someone says something that interests you or you don't agree with, go do some research, don't ridicule the person's opinion.

I've been on other sites, and I've seen much worse. Here in Canada, the CBC helps promote racism against aboriginals; comments that should be moderated out, aren't and benign, logical comments are censored. I think MFP does a good job, and for the most part censorship isn't needed. We're all adults here; if you don't like what you see, move on.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Why do people bother?

Oh yes, please. Feed the snarkies. We're mighty hungry.

Seriously, it's the internet. Grow a pair.