Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options

Replies

• thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    They are trolling its got worse over time on all forums and to be honest they are not even worth your thought or reply's they are usually sad attention seeking individuals with nothing better in there lives.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you seen the BBC?
    Or been on it?

I hope you mean the British Broadcast Company.

careful...

;)
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the BBC?
    Or been on it?

haha I hope they mean something else.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the BBC?
    Or been on it?

I really don't want to be ON the other one.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Many people on here are so rude, I fear to post ANYTHING. When I have, I've spent hours wording my post, just to avoid any backlash that could occur. Thinking of every possible angle people could pin down and beat into submission.

It sucks, I know :sad:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I understand what the OP is saying, but I can only conclude that they've only been on heavily moderated forums and not more open ones such as MFP.

What happens here is very mild. And I mean VERY mild compared to things I've seen elsewhere. And frankly, I'm glad that it is not heavily moderated. That tends to take all the life out of a forum and darn it, I need this place, and I want it to stay as it is. Warts and all.

If you see people behaving badly and it bothers you. Either put them on ignore or report them and let the moderators deal with it.

We're adults. Yes, you're complaining about adults not behaving in an adult manner, but there are better ways of dealing with the issue which appears to be bothering you.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It's pretty sad. MFP is such a great concept... but sadly trolls are every where, even on sites designed to assist people and motivate and connect people with similar goals. That's just the sad fact of society. Trolling and being rude and nasty and all that is apparently "cool". But know what, ignore them, use it for what you want. Trolls feed off replied, take away the fuel the fire will die.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    You haven't been on the WoW forums, have you?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am wndering why the culture here is so different.

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?

You've obviously never been on a parenting or pregnancy forum, those b!tches be crazy.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    387105_3439912193476_941567769_n.jpg
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the BBC?
    Or been on it?

teeheehee
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    @ cmriverside... she's not talking about dissenting opinions. She's talking about direct attacks and trolls. There is A LOT of that that goes on here on EVERY thread. People make it their mission (some a lot more than others) to try and bring people down any way they can. It's pointless and definitely degrades the enjoyment of using the site to some degree.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Many people on here are so rude, I fear to post ANYTHING. When I have, I've spent hours wording my post, just to avoid any backlash that could occur. Thinking of every possible angle people could pin down and beat into submission.

Did someone say submission... ?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    OP, you nailed it.

Hours wording your posts? WHY? If you have a question, ask it, stand by it, be prepared for people to disagree. You know, like in the real world. There are a lot of people on this forum who need to grow some cajones.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    For those people who will say - "this place is just like the rest of the internet" - no, it isn't.

YouTube comments or comments on a news story can't be compared to posts in a community forum.

This site's culture is particularly rude.

I suspect there are a lot of cowards and bullies out there who are miserable and want to bring down others.

For anyone wh ois truly struggling, has a sincere question and seeks advice and community support, or has something positive to offer, I hope you continue and wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of health and wellness!

Don't let the NFP trolls get you down.

In the meantime, there should be moderators here. Safe space is important.

I understood your first post. But now it seems that you're only purpose is to slam the MFP forums. You don't really believe that this site isn't just like all the others. CNN, MSNBC, I've seen people get destroyed on those forums. All internet sites are the same.

This one has moderators. If you think someone is violating the rules, just click the report button.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you seen the BBC?
    Or been on it?

teeheehee

Nice to see I am lumped in with the other dirty minds. ;)
  • stargazer008
    Options
    That's true, I've seen more rude people here than on other forums I've been on. Well people tend to say anything they want on the internet, they don't realize there are actually people behind a computer screen.
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    What kind of sites do you frequent? I've been to some of the darkest corners of the internet and MFP seems extremely civil and supportive to me.

While I don't frequent "dark corners" anywhere in life, I am part of a snarky pop culture site, a site for professionals (and regular folk) in the Fashion Industry, and participate off and on in others related to music, natural beauty, and health. Even on the pop culture site you don't see the random meanness you see here. THere are a few well-known trolls that people ignore for the most part and occasionally mock when they get too mean, just to let them know they aren't having the effect they want.

I think it's like one poster above said - this site casts a wider net, as the only thing people may have in common here is that they are (allegedly) interested in fitness and health. I can see how it would be like a pregnancy or parenting site - the common denominator is pretty damn common, so the gathering is more like a mall than, say, Lululemon.

Still, it doesn't mean you go into the mall in disguise and start slapping people! LOL
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I am wndering why the culture here is so different.

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?

You've obviously never been on a parenting or pregnancy forum, those b!tches be crazy.

Oh yeah, pregnancy forums--scariest place in the world.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    This site is unlike most internet forums. Users are encouraged to post the same questions over and over, rather than searching. Users are sensitive special snowflakes who think that disagreeing is rude. Some users are wizards and defy the laws of thermodynamics. Yeah, it's different here.