Do I record time on tredmill?

Options
defscf
defscf Posts: 1 Member
When my fit bit already captures my steps? I feel like I am double dipping and therefore cheating. However, A LOT more calories show burned on the tredmill than on the fitbit.

Replies

• hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It is double dipping as you said. Id go with the conservative estimate to be on the safe side
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    defscf wrote: »
    When my fit bit already captures my steps? I feel like I am double dipping and therefore cheating. However, A LOT more calories show burned on the tredmill than on the fitbit.

It depends on whether you're running or walking on the treadmill. Running burns about twice as many calories as walking, and your FitBit assumes that you're walking.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Fitbit only As you say it would be double dipping and those gym machines tend to overestimate
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Charge HR and other fitbits auto detect certain activities e.g. running. Mine gives me a result similar to my Garmin GPS HRM watch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't record both, you can alps sanity check the Fitbit's calculation using the following formulas from Runners World:

Walking .30 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles)

Running - same formula but the factor is .63

These will give you the net calories expended (ie those directly attributable to the activity) for relatively flat terrain, if your using a higher incline on the treadmill these will be very conservative estimates.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used to link the fitbit to MFP for -calorie counts. But because it's not 100% accurate. Sometimes a have a shorter stride, sometimes a longer. Fitbit always under estimates my distance and my exertion. I've even manually adjusted my stride length, but as I said it changes depending on walking, running, sprinting, etc. I've unlinked. Now I use fitbit to get me to my 10 or 15k and record all exercise in MFP.

If I'm outside it's endomondo or garmin which is linked to MFP for a more accurate calc.