Drinking water = Hungrier?

Options
hhnkhl
hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
I drink about 10+ 16.9 FL OZ of water a day... why does it make my stomach growl more? I seem to be eating plenty -_-a

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Everyone says to drink water when you're hungry or to drink with your meal to feel fuller. It doesn't work for me that way. I can eat and an hour later feel hungry. I can drink 32+ oz and still feel the same amount of hunger.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I saw a tv documentary where they did some of their own small testing for the audience to see (but based on actual study results) where they showed that drinking water before a meal did nothing to curb appetite. Blending water WITH the meal (basically eating soup) did however result in significantly decreased consumption/appetite.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily about feeling less hungry, but about filling you up to where you can't possibly eat as much as you might like. Even if you ate and then ate again an hour later, you've created more mindfulness than just sitting down to a huge meal. Same calories, sure, but there's something to be said for pacing yourself and being present with your food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,035 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am actually in need of fluids when I feel hungry. Sometimes I'm really in need of food. I try the water first - sometimes it doesn't work. When I am in weight-loss mode, I'm often hungry. I don't like it, but it's the nature of the process.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Water quits hunger for me. Growling? Not often. Only when really angry about being hungry.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ah different results for everyone. I just tend to get hungry faster if i drink a lot of water.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I am the same way. Everyone says to drink water when you're hungry or to drink with your meal to feel fuller. It doesn't work for me that way. I can eat and an hour later feel hungry. I can drink 32+ oz and still feel the same amount of hunger.

+1. Also, if I am hungry and I drink water I get nauseated.
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Plain water makes me 10000x hungrier than i already was. Carbonated water/club soda/seltzer water fills my stomach and takes the hunger away. I LIVE on that stuff, and its 0 calorie :D
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Competitive eaters drink large amounts of water to stretch their stomachs so they can eat more food. Now, I'm not saying it's bad to drink water, but don't expect it to satisfy your hunger. It has no calories.

As far as your hunger problem though it's an unfortunate side effect of trying to lose weight. I always feel like I could eat more personally, but we just gotta fight it sometimes to reach our goals.

With that said however, just try to get the most volume for the calories you need, make sure you get enough protein and fats, and try to have things that you enjoy eating.

Sometimes it's still miserable, but at least a little less miserable. :smile:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    growling stomach can mean your digestive system is doing what its supposed to,gas,gastrointestinal disorders,etc. its not always a sign of hunger its just louder when your stomach is empty.if you arent truly hungry I wouldnt worry about it unless you are having other symptoms such as pain,nausea,vomiting,diarrhea,fever,etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    I drink about 10+ 16.9 FL OZ of water a day... why does it make my stomach growl more? I seem to be eating plenty -_-a

Maybe you're not in fact eating enough. What's your height, weight, goal weight, and weekly weight loss goal?

You could also not be eating enough foods that satiate you: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

I have a conservative weekly weight loss goal, focus on foods that satiate me, and am only hungry right before a meal.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Could you also be drinking too much water? I know it varies quite a bit on your exercise level etc but the Mayo Clinic recommends the following: men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day; women is about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day. That's total beverage intake.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hhnkhl wrote: »

Maybe you're not in fact eating enough. What's your height, weight, goal weight, and weekly weight loss goal?

You could also not be eating enough foods that satiate you: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

I have a conservative weekly weight loss goal, focus on foods that satiate me, and am only hungry right before a meal.

I agree this could be eat as well. not enough calories can make you hungrier,I didnt see the hungrier part at the top of the page-my bad
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Drinking water when hungry is NOT a diet tool. It will NOT stop you from being hungry if you ARE hungry.

When slightly dehydrated, the body will interpret it as hunger. So, if your body wants water, you will feel hungry and are likely to eat food (which has calories). If you instead drink water (no calories) and were actually slightly dehydrated, then the hunger will go away.

If you are in need of food, drinking water will do nothing for you.

Now as to why you're hungry... that's a whole range of possibilities that I'll let others discuss.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Drinking water when hungry is NOT a diet tool. It will NOT stop you from being hungry if you ARE hungry.

When slightly dehydrated, the body will interpret it as hunger. So, if your body wants water, you will feel hungry and are likely to eat food (which has calories). If you instead drink water (no calories) and were actually slightly dehydrated, then the hunger will go away.

Now as to why you're hungry... that's a whole range of possibilities that I'll let others discuss.

You beat me to it.

Just to reiterate.... the concept of drinking a glass of water if you feel hungry has been skewed. It was originally recommended that people eating for weight loss drink a glass of water when they feel hungry because thirst can be misinterpreted as hunger. When you eat in a calorie deficit your water intake through the food you eat is inevitably less and so drinking water simply eliminates dehydration. It was never recommended as a way to stave off hunger pains.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »

I've never understood this. For me thirst is thirst and hunger is hunger. They are two very different feelings. So no, this is not true for everyone.