How to Eat Healthy?

Options
I want to eat healthy, I really do. But I always manage it for a couple of days before having a huge binge on junk food during the weekend and it makes me guilty and pissed. Can any of you lend me some tips on how to successfully eat healthy without giving in to the junk? I'm tired of stuffing myself with chocolate and chips until my stomach hurts.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week you might want to adjust it to 1 pound per week or even half a pound per week if you have less than 20 pounds to lose. I personally find that cutting out sweets completely leads to stuffing myself full of things I crave on weekends. If I plan on having 200 calories of sweets I can stay on track. That doesn't work for everyone.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been successful with fitting junk food into every day of my new lifestyle. Smaller portions, as often as I want them.

I don't feel deprived or guilty, or like this "diet" is a way to punish myself.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Eat the junk, Lower the portions. Replace what you can with healthier options, I used to love salt now i eat pickles and olives. There's recipes out there to make healthy anything, Just need to play around and find what works. Never deny self for to long, Try taking a big ole glass of water and waiting for 30 minutes before eating what you want to eat. Sometimes the craving dissappears, And if it doesn't then have another glass of water before eating the food. The water fills you up and you'll eat less. focus on your decadent snacks, Appreciate them while you eat and the craving will go away+ youll eat much less

Oh also make sure your eating often, smaller meals really do help. Keep you from bingeing. Keep your healthy options around and eat them whenever you want until you get in the habit of reaching for healthy stuff.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo it. Deprivation leads to binges. Eating too little (calories), eating badly (not enough of all nutrients you need), and feelings of missing out (not allowing treats) are all forms of deprivation. Eating healthy is not about eating in some sort of ideal or perfect way, but in a way that gives you what you need in a form you like. You don't get extra food karma points for eating more vegetables when you've already eaten enough vegetables. Everything can be eaten in moderation. Don't look for the healthiest diet you can tolerate, but the healthiest diet you can enjoy.

If you need to lose weight, set your calorie goal to TDEE - 20%, weigh and log everything, and try to hit goal +/-50 every day. Plan your meals, portion them out, and eat at set times.

If you have trouble with moderation of certain "junky" foods, consider not having them lying around. Save them for special occasions, and out of the house. Social support (just being in a group) can lead to a more moderate intake, while eating alone can lower inhibition to overeat.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    @natdontwannabefat Are you wanting to eat healthy just to lose weight or are you wanting to change your lifestyle?
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Plan the junk food. The anger and guilt come out of a sense of failure. Eating imperfect food in a measured, moderate, planned fashion is compatible with a healthy lifestyle. If you find the week you can do, and the weekend is your cheat time, then plan it, eat less, and kill the binging by using good planning. Don't have them out and about, and then enjoy them. Not as some guilt ridden fest, but as a reward, a delight, and as a part of an enjoyable, valuable living.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Rather than focusing on what you don't eat, focus on a calorie goal and what you do eat. I plan three balanced, healthful meals a day that include adequate protein, healthy fats, lots of vegetables, and other foods that are nutrient dense (in the context of meals that are delicious to me). Then, I also feel free to fill my calories with some extras that I simply enjoy -- often some ice cream after dinner, but also things like high quality cheese or chocolate, depending on the day (had a cannoli on Friday, fit in a tapas dinner on Saturday, stuff like that). What I find is that if I have a good balanced day and know I am not restricting myself when it comes to the foods I love, I can easily keep my consumption of things like ice cream to a moderate amount (for example, one serving, as defined on the box) and focus on what fits in my calories.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I refuse to label food 'good', 'bad', 'junk' 'clean' etc etc. That's a very slippery slope that can lead to a distorted and unhealthy relationship with food.

Throughout this whole process I've continued to eat all the foods I like and I haven't cut anything out. Not only have I lost over 50lbs, I've also improved every single health marker my doctor uses. I now have excellent blood work panels, including an optimal heart disease risk ratio. I no longer have a glucose number in the prediabetes range. My blood pressure is great, I take no medications and my bmi is solidly in the healthy range. I eat a varied diet and I stick to my calorie goals. That's it.

Learning how to continue eating the foods that I like, in moderation, is a realistic and sustainable method for the long term. I've got 3 years of maintenance behind me and over 40 years ahead of me. If I had boxed myself in with a bunch of rules and restrictions during my weight loss phase, I would have failed a long time ago.