Running

Options
I'm not in perfect shape (overweight) my cardio and excercise abilities are good though... I want to train for a 5k however whenever I run my ankles shins and legs hurt a decent but causing me to stop before I'm out of breath... Any help or advice?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,481 Member
    Options
    For how long are you running? If you're new then start slow, start really slow. And if you think you're already slow then try slower yet. Your muscles might be getting used to running quickly, but your joints, ligaments and other skeletal components don't. They need a proper time to get used to this new way of moving. Running is a high impact sport. Thus chose a speed at which you can still talk properly and get used to running, and only after a while increase speed. Only run on alternate days to let your body rest.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    maybe start by cycling and using the elliptical for a while. they're easier on the joints, while building up some endurance.
  • yirara
    Options
    maybe start by cycling and using the elliptical for a while. they're easier on the joints, while building up some endurance.

Hmm.. endurance doesn't seem to be the problem here. I think the TO should just slow down, and maybe even start with a programme such a C25K. if your skeletal system is not used to running then even 5k can completely wreck you even if the endurance is there. Cycling and at least a cross trainer use muscles etc completely differently, thus that won't help.

Oh, and of course make sure your shoes work for you.
  • feliciaamanda
    feliciaamanda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem before. I used to never go for runs, and when I did it just hurt my legs the way you describe. Now it's all gone though and I usually run 5k 1-2 times a week with no problems. I started with slow, short runs and powerwalks. As it was getting better I increased the speed and started to run longer distances. And I invested in (somewhat) expensive running shoes, it really is worth it!
  • L1p0
    L1p0 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    +1 on Semi Decent running shoes, and I also really like C25k programs. I did the one on Endomondo, and havn't looked back yet. Also, an Ice pack for your shins will really help after runs, and foam roller your tendons. That was the key for me. I also really like short, hi intensity intervals as this will get you fitness up quickly in much shorter distances, thus sparing your joints.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    L1p0 wrote: »
    +1 on Semi Decent running shoes, and I also really like C25k programs. I did the one on Endomondo, and havn't looked back yet. Also, an Ice pack for your shins will really help after runs, and foam roller your tendons.

This, but I would upgrade to good quality shoes fitted at a running store (usually at least a size larger than your normal shoes). Start slow. Stretch well. Keep at it and eventually distance and speed will come. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    good shoes fitted from a running store and do a program like zombie run or c25k

(i just started last year and did my first half marathon last year. you can do it)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a running store. Start walking fast several miles a day for several weeks and very slowly add some running.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    For how long are you running? If you're new then start slow, start really slow. And if you think you're already slow then try slower yet. Your muscles might be getting used to running quickly, but your joints, ligaments and other skeletal components don't. They need a proper time to get used to this new way of moving. Running is a high impact sport. Thus chose a speed at which you can still talk properly and get used to running, and only after a while increase speed. Only run on alternate days to let your body rest.

This. If you can go slower, go slower. Speed will come later.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're trying to do too much, too soon, too fast - a common thing with new runners (and many experienced ones too).

Running takes quite a few physiological adaptions and they take time. You can use a structured program like C25K or simply start walking and add short, slow running intervals gradually increasing the time running and reducing the walking portion. Give yourself time, it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • yirara
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    good shoes fitted from a running store and do a program like zombie run or c25k

(i just started last year and did my first half marathon last year. you can do it)

Congratulations!

I think good running shoes are only necessary when TO really wants to continue running. What kind of shoes are you wearing now? I'm not asking about brand, but are those shoes you wear a fair bit, with which you walked a fair bit before and that never gave you any problems? Are they big enough? As running as quite some impact on the foot it's a good idea to not use shoes that are a very tight fit.

If you slow down and only do short slow running intervals with walking inbetween and build things up from there then you might actually be fine with those shows. I'd still buy decent ones if you decide to continue running, but just for trying what works they might be good enough if you had no problems previously. If those are new shoes though and you never used them for anything at all then they might simply not be for your feet. Difficult to say, really.