Fatty Liver

Options
Hi I have just been diagnosed with a fatty liver. Does anyone have any hints or tips? Food recipes etc what to eat and what not to eat.

Please help x

Replies

• Getstronggirl
    Getstronggirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You probably already know this but a quick search revealed eating a healthy and balanced diet; avoiding high carb foods like rice, potatoes, corn and spots drinks/ juice/soda - slow / steady weight loss (not losing over 1 to 2 lbs a week); no alcoholic beverages. Moderate exercise.

Good luck, I know it isn't easy to have a medical condition.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I have a fatty liver too... type 2 diabetes... and High BP... yay me!!! it has been one heck of a fun life... BUT it is time to take the diet seriously... just as getstronggirl suggests... stay away from the "cheap carbs" like white bread and all manner of junk food... fried food (deep or otherwise)... limit rice and potatoes.. unless the rice is wild... drink lots of water...take a multivitamin... eat plenty of protein... and... just like there is no way to spot reduce things like your stomach or arms, or thighs... the only way to reduce the "internal" fat is to reduce ALL the fat...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sgoodall63 wrote: »
    Hi I have just been diagnosed with a fatty liver. Does anyone have any hints or tips? Food recipes etc what to eat and what not to eat.

Please help x

Didn't your doctor tell you what to eat and not to eat?
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You want to stay away from sugars, refined carbs. I too have been diagnosed about a year ago. I'm guessing your triglycerides are high as well. Lots of lean protein and vegetables. Good luck!
  • Tiffanylynn1024
    Tiffanylynn1024 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed the other day myself. It's so hard trying to cut back the sugar and carbs. Everything that is bad is what I eat (pop, chips, bread, potatoes, fried foods, fast food). But have to change all that for my health. It's very hard. You can add me if you'd like.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Weightloss and exercise. Eating a high carb diet or a low carb diet or something in between does not dictate weight loss. Eating at a caloric deficit, dictates weight loss (period). How you choose to eat (high carb, low carb, in between, etc...) from a preference standpoint or the way prescribed to you by a Dr. will be for a specific health reason and/or adherence.

The food choices that you choose will aid in helping with creating that deficit for weight loss (think fried chicken calories compared to baked chicken calories for same serving size) and for health (think of nutritional value of a baked potato compared to nutritional value of a pop-tart).

Nothing wrong with the occasional "bad food" as long as you take into account its caloric content to meet your daily caloric goals. From a health perspective, as long as you meet the minimums of those three macro nutrients for health (fats, protein, carbs from healthy sources), then how you disperse the rest for your remaining calories, will not having any further bearing (i.e...you don't get bonus points by surpassing your nutritional needs). This is why certain populations (assuming a healthy weight) are extremely healthy eating 80% of their diet in carbs and other populations (again, assuming healthy weight) are just as healthy eating 80% of their diet in fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2387293/
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned alcohol in thr diet as a cause. Is it thr elephant in the room?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Your dr did not give any instructions? Why does he/she think this happened?
    From the little I know about it, the most common causes are alcohool, certain drugs or obesity. Which is your case?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Presumably this is non-alcoholic fatty liver: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/basics/definition/con-20027761

(If not, MFP wouldn't be the source to go to.)

Your doctor should have given you dietary guidelines or referred you to a dietitian.