Beginning Runner

Options
I am going to start a C25K program tomorrow. I'm new to running (typically do walking only). Looking for any tips for a novice...

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love c25k, have fun!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    slow. go slow. And then even slower.

the common thing is to suggest going at a slow pace where you can talk/sing. Keep your steps small, but your cadence high - you may even find you are not actually going at a speed faster than walking, but with shorter steps you are running.

There are points in the programme which will terrify you - there is a sudden jump to running for longer than you ever thought possible, but you CAN do it, just slow the pace and keep going. No one cares if you have to repeat a week - all of us who have done c25k have repeated a week.

You probably won't end up running 5k at the end of it either - the most important thing is to build endurance. and go slow.

good luck - it's a really good useful programme.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you can start the program on a treadmill it will help, everyone has a tendency to try to go too fast and the treadmill will help keep you at a steady slow pace.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Girl in a hat covered it but the two most important things I learned were: go slow to make it easier, and take shorter steps, also to make it easier (and maybe to help with going slow).
  • laschroe
    laschroe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I second going slow, slower than you think you should. At some point you'll want to stop running before it's time to. At that point, ask yourself if you want to stop because of pain in your body, or because you don't think (in your mind) you can do it. Every time I've wanted to stop, it was because my brain told me I couldn't do it. But it was wrong! You CAN do it! You're stronger than you think!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Be sure to stretch properly after your run. This was probably the biggest mistake I made when I started with C25K. I could have avoided months of nursing an injury had I simply stretched properly...
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    lmbecker12 wrote: »
    I am going to start a C25K program tomorrow. I'm new to running (typically do walking only). Looking for any tips for a novice...

Have fun with it! Don't try to overdo it and go too fast - runs should not leave you feeling like you're going to puke. Go slowly and focus on building up your endurance and letting your muscles get used to the act of running.

A lot of it is mental, too. I know it's so easy to focus on "this is uncomfortable this sucks wah wah" but it helps to focus on literally anything else while you're doing a freeform run type of thing. I've thought about dinner, reviewed Molecular Bio lectures, and angrily ranted internally about presidential candidates. My trainer said it best: your mind gives up before your body does.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for slow down and then slow down some more......

There's a natural tendency for new runners to try to run too fast which, frequently results in injuries and discouraged new runners. Personally I think the C25K program may be a bit too aggressive for some people so don't worry if you have to repeat weeks, everyone progresses at their own rate and the ultimate goal is to complete the program injury free and having fun.

If you haven't already invest in properly fitted running shoes, if you have a running specialty shop close by it's worth the trip to have them check your gait. You don't need to buy the most expensive shoes on the planet (if budget is a consideration most shops will have "last year's" models on clearance - you may not get the colour you want but the shoes are perfectly functional) If you don't have a shop close by check out Runners World shoe advisor

runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

take your time trying on shoes, each manufacturer has a slightly different idea about heel with, toe box size etc having shoes that fit properly will make your experience far more enjoyable.

As far as stretching goes there are different camps......warm up before the run (dynamic)

runnersworld.com/training-video/first-moves

stretching after is optional. I don't any more but many do (and swear by it) I do a walking cool-down equal to at least 10% of the distance run. If you're new to running I'd suggest stretching, at least for now.

Most importantly, be patient with yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day. Train consistently and progressively and you should be able to enjoy running for the rest of your life.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The c25k program has helped me change my life way beyond my expectations. I have never enjoyed running. I'm 20 years out of high school; i don't think i've run since high school, until i started c25k. And back when i was young, i basically just sprinted as far as i could, and then walked, gasping for air, thinking that THAT was what running was.

Once i started c25k, i also started learning more about how to run properly. The single biggest tip was to run SLOW. It's not about speed, when starting, it's about building up both your legs and core, and your cardio, to support endurance. The advice that you should be able to talk while running really helped. Also, the phrase "if you can go slower and still be running, slow down!" It gave me 'permission' to be slow and realize that that was still success.

Second biggest tip was to learn to breath from my belly; using my diaphragm. It is very easy to breath from the chest. This is shallow breathing; it under utilizes your lung capacity, and lets your lungs fill with stale air. Instead, think about pushing your belly button out during the inhale, letting the lungs fill like balloons. And on the exhale, draw the belly-button into the spine, squeezing the lungs from the bottom to expel ALL the air, to make room for now air.

Third tip - take your rest days! Get at least one day between each session. At first, your muscles will be sore, but that will go away as your legs get stronger. During that rest day, be mindful of any pains, beyond general soreness - and if you notice ANY pain related to the running, look into it, whether on forums or here. Running should not injure you, and if it does, you may need to look at your form, your speed, your shoes, or other aspects to help you run safely.

Fourth tip - controlled breathing. I started with inhaling for four steps, and exhaling for four steps, keeping a slow, steady breathing whether walking or jogging. As i progressed and played with it, i settled on inhaling for three steps, and exhaling for two steps. My breathing is a bit faster, but still taking full, deep breaths, and getting enough air to sustain a long jog.

Final tip - keep your arms low, and going straight back-and-forth instead of across your body. If your hands cross your body, as i was doing,then your whole torso will tend to rotate from left to right, right to left, as you run. This is a lot less efficient. Keep your arms low and going straight forward, and try to keep your sternum pointed the direction you're running.

Once i started putting all that together, around Week3 of the program, i started actually enjoying the runs. I was still scared when i looked at that first 20 minute run, but found that i could do it.

Congratulations on starting. Welcome to running!
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the tips! I appreciate it! I want to be able to enjoy running, so I figured I'd try to start off right to begin with.
  • Betzaidahenry
    Betzaidahenry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started running this year and I loved it after I got used to. I started with the treadmill walking at 3.5 and going from 0 to 15 incline. When I reach to 15 changing it every 2 minutes, I ran 6.0 for 1 minutes and sometimes 7.0 for 2 minutes. Also I started doing wall sit for 1 minutes every time I have the chance. This made my legs stronger. Then I started with one mile outside without stopping in a comfortable speed. My mind always focuse on reaching the distance without stopping and not how fast I go. You want to get your resistance up to speed. Now I ran 6 miles without stopping and I love it and feels amazing afterwards. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Proper equipment.
    I put on a couple thousand of miles a year biking, running, and swimming. My feet are baby soft, all my nails, no blisters, corns, calluses. Other typical 'hot spots' are just as nice. Without proper equipment I think I would be miserable and stop. Just as importantly it can lead to injury.

Good socks: specifically for sport or running, not an old pair you wear daily. I only have socks I purchase for running and then only use them for running. I cycle them out when needed.
    1. Russell - My favorite are Russell Walmart.
    2. Balega - Becoming my new favorite.
    3. Injinji Running Toesocks - For longer or sweaty runs I like splitting the toes to reduce additional friction.
    4. Smart Wool REI - I'm falling out of love for them, maybe they need to be replaced.
    Good Anti-Chafe Balm: Body-Glide works wonders. Cover your feet, thighs, seat (biking), nips for men. Again keeps things from going south fast. Protect that skin for a happy run. Ladies, do not be suckered by the Pink one for women, it's the same ingredients, but in a SMALLER pink container for more money than the Blue Original.

Good Shoes: A pair you actually went to a running store and picked out with an employee. Some stores have treadmills and will video tape your gait and stride. Proper fitting shoes do not need a 'break in' that is a myth. If they don't feel 'right' at the store, they won't feel right next week, the week after, or next month. Like my socks, I also only use my running shoes for running until they get past 300mi, which is when knee pain kicks in for me. They then become my everyday wear and I get another pair. Shoes last an average of 300-500mi.

So you have your equipment and your out running.......

Speed: Start slow and take it in small bites. Walk when needed.
    I like to use Jeff Galloways Run/Walk/Run method. Run for ## minutes or seconds, then walk for ## minutes or seconds.
    Example. I run for 6 minutes and walk for 20 seconds. When I started 5-6 years ago I ran for 30 seconds and walked for 30. I've used it ever since even during Races.

Stride: Short
    Regardless of your level, a shorter stride is a better stride. Low to the ground, fast turn over, no bouncing/or bounding from one foot to another. A long stride puts strain on our muscles and joints and affects your form which can lead to injury and longer recovery time.

Breathing: It's a good idea to do it :smile:
    As previously reported, breath from your belly / diaphragm, this will help prevent side stitches. Additionally, you should be able to carry on a normal conversation. Taking a deep breath is fine to get out a sentence but if your huffing and puffing, slow down. This is supposed to be FUN!

Posture: Upright, head over shoulders over feet.
    Good running posture is actually good everyday posture. When you lean to far over or back it again causes you to put strain on your muscles and joints and affects your form which can lead to injury and longer recovery time.

Have fun and enjoy.
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recommend for the first week take two days off between training days instead of training every other day as the program is typically set up. I say this because your thighs and legs will most likely be very sore and achy as they adjust to running, but don't let it discourage you, push through it, it'll get easier.

I trained every other day and the soreness and aches made it tough but I persevered. I went from 5K to 10K to half marathon to my first full marathon coming up 5/29/16. It's taken me 22 months to progress this far.

Also, if you haven't done so already and if after the first week or two you're going to stick with it, go to a running shop such as Fleet Feet and get a gait analysis and fitted for running shoes appropriate for your running style. Expect to pay around $115 for a pair, but it's well worth it.

• Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Like so many others have said... go slow.. resist the temptation to push yourself. I tried the C25K as written and got really bad & painful shin splints. I learned 2 things from that 1) Running every other day at a much slower pace is better than spending 1-2 weeks not doing anything because you're hurt 2) shoes are VERY important.

Pay attention to your body. Any sharp pains are very bad.... and you should stop immediately. Other than those points, enjoy!