Taking a deadlifting class!

Options
KDar1988
KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
I've taken a lot of great advice from all of you here but I just signed up for a deadlifting class to show me proper form since I don't have a partner to help me. I can't wait and I hope I'm not the only girl in the class!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Great to learn proper form.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Weee! Love deadlifting. Proper form is very important.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    that's great, deadlifts are the big bad grand daddy of all lifting.
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Huh? I thought Squatting was!!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Huh? I thought Squatting was!!!

You thought wrong.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That's great! Deadlifts are one of my favorites. Girls that deadlift are fabulous!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I inadvertently did the same. I had signed up for a women on weights class and was disappointed that it focused on machines. With the assent of the other 5 participants I got the instructor to spend one of the classes on dead lifts. Best thing ever. I still feel her pokes and prods as I am correcting my form for the lift.

Cheers, h.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I inadvertently did the same. I had signed up for a women on weights class and was disappointed that it focused on machines. With the assent of the other 5 participants I got the instructor to spend one of the classes on dead lifts. Best thing ever. I still feel her pokes and prods as I am correcting my form for the lift.

Cheers, h.

Where I work offers a ton of wellness classes. I did the women on weights too. It was a 5 week class and started out a bit disappointing until we realized how she was approaching things. Then it became fun and educational. I learned a lot. I hope this is good! My biggest "thing" is having to stick my *kitten* out in front of the world (still working on my self-confidence!).
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love love love deadlifting! I've been told it'd one of the hardest lifts to master, but I've found that it was the easiest one for me to learn and progress with. Now if only my back squat game was as smooth...
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I wish I could find a deadlifting class!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »
    Love love love deadlifting! I've been told it'd one of the hardest lifts to master, but I've found that it was the easiest one for me to learn and progress with. Now if only my back squat game was as smooth...

One of the problems with it being hard to master is there are variations in form based on body types, and to an extent goals.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Love deadlifting! Just be careful and don't overdo! I was feeling like a stud and kept increasing my weight one day and went just over the mark....Took about two weeks and a couple reflexology appointments to get my mojo back.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

One of the problems with it being hard to master is there are variations in form based on body types, and to an extent goals.

but isn't that true of most lifts? I just don't see why this one would be singled out as hard to master. To each his/her own, I guess.

I can't do most oly lifts with any grace or coordination at all. Those have been ridiculously hard for me to learn. My squat is just ok (constantly making form adjustments), but weak. Bench form is pretty good, but it's been hard to make any weight progress. But deads? Grab the bar, stick your chest and butt out and stand up. I can do that! :smiley:
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

but isn't that true of most lifts? I just don't see why this one would be singled out as hard to master. To each his/her own, I guess.

I can't do most oly lifts with any grace or coordination at all. Those have been ridiculously hard for me to learn. My squat is just ok (constantly making form adjustments), but weak. Bench form is pretty good, but it's been hard to make any weight progress. But deads? Grab the bar, stick your chest and butt out and stand up. I can do that! :smiley:

Foot placement, hand placement, do you tuck your lats into your pockets or not. Body type can factor in to. Where as bench, there is more of a baseline.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I recently signed up for a similar class and I was the only participant. I considered myself lucky to get such detailed one on one instruction.