Help a vegetable hater

Options
12346»

Replies

• coopergc
    coopergc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! Didn't have time to read the entire thread but would have to agree that supplements are not enough. Your body gets energy from those foods along with essential vitamins and minerals. Yes, these can be supplemented but know that you may not be absorbing 100% and that even people who eat fruits and vegetables regularly may need supplements of certain vitamins and minerals. Fruits and vegetables also contain high amounts of fiber which is important for regularity, lowering bad cholesterol, and stabilizing blood sugar. Also, these foods contain antioxidants which research indicates fight chronic disease. I recommend continuing to try the vegetables in different ways if possible or try to hide them in foods. I understand that some individuals have varying taste perception which may be what you experience but there also seems to be a psychological component to it with focusing on the origin of the food. Speaking with a dietitian or psychologist may benefit your health and help you find ways to make it work. Best of luck!
  • mrprater1
    mrprater1 Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Cornelius I read what you wrote, "benefits outweigh the risk" speech...
    Sorry their are so many people posting, I don't really have time to respond to everyone.
    But they do feed pesticide and herbicide -dusted crops to their cattle. You do understand that the level of pesticides and other toxins stored in an animal's fat over a lifetime might be much higher than what shows up in their saliva and stool? Hence the greater risk of mercury contamination in large, longer-lived, higher-on-the-foodchain fish like tuna and swordfish. So unless you're planning on eating cattle "poo and saliva" instead of flesh and fat, I don't see why these findings are so reassuring. (If you think all the "toxins" from the vegetable matter they consume are just being eliminated in the cattle's stool, why wouldn't you think that your body would similarly eliminate all the toxins you might consume if you ate veggies? Maybe as an experiment, you should eat some veggies from the grocery store, and then test your saliva and stool for toxins? If it were less than 001%, would that reassure you that eating veggies is OK? You probably should test your saliva and stool for toxins before eating veggies, so you have a baseline.)

False they do not feed their cattle crop dusted items. We test soil, food, water, etc.. You say the toxins are stored in the fat. True, but the larger amount of toxins will be excreted out. In 2011, the FDA carried out a study on the effect an animal drug called Roxarson, or 3-Nitro, had on chicken meat. The FDA allowed poultry producers to use the drug to prevent parasitic diseases in chickens, to promote weight gain, and to improve the color of chicken meat. The FDA studied 100 boiler chickens to determine whether the use of 3-Nitro led to elevated levels of arsenic in chicken meat. According to the study, higher levels of inorganic arsenic were found in the livers of chickens treated with 3-Nitro than in chickens that were not treated: The poo showed the HIGHEST level of arsenic indicating that the drug is processes out of the body. After 5 days without the drug Arsenic was at safe levels to be eaten for hum consumption.

Long story short, the FDA has cracked down EXTREMELY hard to what you can do with your cattle thanks to PITA and other pro-life organizations. Remember the video of how chickens are raised and then slaughtered? Yeah, that video alone gave the FDA so much headache that we have no choice but to regulate animals so hard that the only thing un-natural found in their bodies is the elevated levels of protein. Since that big scare, most chicken farms have done away with dark enclosed chicken houses where all the chickens breathe was ammonia, feces and feathers that caused many health issues. You can thank the FDA for that as well. The ones who still have the dark enclosed chicken houses have top of the line ventilation systems that bring in ENORMOUS amounts of fresh air, and the chicken feces is cleaned 2 times a day.

P.S the "preservatives" and etc that are put into the meat is done after the animal has been slaughtered and sent off for sell. Realize it was never the farmers fault for putting "steroids" in the chickens. They were kinda pushed into it by corporations such as "Tyson" who wanted their chicken to look the best. By cutting out the "steroids" farmers have saved a ton of money. Which this also allows farmers to make more money off the chicken because now they have to sell it at a certain weight and must keep the chicken longer. So they get to charge more just based on how long they must raise the chicken.
  • mrprater1
    Options
    I wish people would stop recommending what I should do to eat veggies and go with the actual question...

Recommend foods that do not have sugars that are not vegetables.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    mrprater1 wrote: »
    I wish people would stop recommending what I should do to eat veggies and go with the actual question...

The only thing that really fits your criteria is meat. So, what are you asking again?
  • TimOwenWhite
    TimOwenWhite Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think your options are meat, maybe some unprocessed nuts, seeds & oils. Good luck.
  • mrprater1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Update... Just tried Broccoli, and kale... waste of money... Regurgitated them right back up... Tried to put them in a stew and cook them with a roast. Didn't work

edit: carrots and green beans too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like kale! Did you season the vegetables? What kind of seasoning do you like?

PS: Butter counts
  • GetFitKTB
    GetFitKTB Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's effort to encourage me to try "this one or that one." Or to keep insisting that I can't hate "all" of them. When in fact, I hate them all and I will never try to eat one more vegetable as long as I live.

I've tried many over the years, I'm 27.. When I say many I mean A LOT. When you meet a girlfriends parents for dinner and her mom made something green... You can't be mean but you can make a small portion and mix it with something and fight the urge to throw up all over her china set after scarfing it down as fast possible trying not to taste it. Or how about when your grandma invites you over for dinner same thing applies or dinner with the church folks and family gatherings... Or how about because you know greens are healthy and its a good diet so you try them 5 or 6 different times of different kinds of veggies and you instantly gag and spit them out. Or how about when you're a child and your parents say "eat your veggies then you can go play" so you take one bite and hate it, so you feed them to your dog after everyone has left the room, or when you didn't have a dog so you just stared at them for at least an hour before your mom gave in. How about when you make a protein shake with them but you think about it having vegetables in it so you spend the rest of your night nauseous. A couple of my ex's literally tried to hide carrots (diced) and peas in my soup one time and spaghetti the other time... I literally never felt the same way about them after that. The fact that they know I hate vegetables and that they would literally try and force me to do something I don't want to do. I dislike them period. Just the thought of them makes me sick... Just like the thought of eating a deer or any kind of meat makes you sick.

The nuts is a great idea. So is the beans,

Do I eat potatoes? No, not even french fries...

Just to clarify... and REPEAT I do not need vegetables because I take supplements... Just like some of you don't need meats because you have protein shakes...

Thank you for understanding and not trying to bring me to the dark side. My mom has tried, my ex's have tried, my friends have tried... I assure you, you will lose this battle. I will not eat a vegetable. Lucky that I even eat fruits.

What makes the veggies so bad to me? Lets see, first, they grow in the dirt.. Where it is sprayed with pesticides (I work in the pesticide business. I know some effects that it has on the plants when a neglectful farmer doesn't mind the way he sprays or over mixes his batch of chemicals.) Some insects live and breed in your vegetables... Fruit flies for example love moist damp areas so a greenhouse is perfect for them... And no you cannot control fruit flies completely in a commercial workplace because the rotten and bad food will get tossed in the same place everyday. Think of a bar.. Ever seen one that didn't have fruit flies? Didn't think so... But anyways, Fruit flies live on nasty foods that are rotten/decomposing. They prefer moist areas... They lay eggs every day. They hatch into larva every day.. They become maggots, and then a fly. Fly's land on your food, poop it out, eat their own poop, (actually they don't eat anything they suck it up through a genetic straw like thing much like a mosquito.) then they puke it up and lay an egg on the puke. Do you know why? Because the larva cannot eat whole foods so they need the liquid puke in order to survive. All of this is done in less than 30 seconds. And this is just one bug that inhabits your vegetables and fruits. I could go on for days about all the farms pests I've been called out to for an "expert opinion" and guess what.. Their food still got sold... Even if it was pooped, puked, and shat on.. Theirs plenty of others pests too... springtails, earwigs, caterpillars, moths, weevils etc... all do some vile nasty things that none of you know about and none of you realize what you're actually eating.

mrprater, just so you know, you are not the only one who hates veggies. I hate them all ... except potatoes ... and corn, but if they are green, I can't eat them, but not for the same reasons as you - I just hate the taste of vegetables. Like I said, I Iove potatoes and corn, but naturally they are full of carbs, so I try to stay away from them. I can eat vegetables only if they are hidden in a thick sauce, or in a stew, or something like that - but if I can pick them out, I will. If they are served as a side dish, I won't touch them. Some, like peas, make me nauseous. I've tried to learn to like veggies but they just disagree with my taste buds.

As for advice, I have none. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one! Cheers!
  • mrprater1
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I used butter and some salt. I'm not one to really season my food with parsley or anything not even meat.. I just eat it cooked. No additives.

Any suggestions?

Keep in mind, I've ate sweets practically my entire life. So, something a bit sweet tasting "without sugar" would be okay to try. not sure if there is a such thing when it comes to veggies.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I used butter and some salt. I'm not one to really season my food with parsley or anything not even meat.. I just eat it cooked. No additives.

Any suggestions?

Keep in mind, I've ate sweets practically my entire life. So, something a bit sweet tasting "without sugar" would be okay to try. not sure if there is a such thing when it comes to veggies.

For me, that would be raisins. Some salad dressings are also sweet. Panera's Fuji Apple dressing, sweet and sour sauce, honey mustard, there's a pear flavored one by Litehouse that I couldn't find for repurchase in Kroger. Sliced fruit is another sweetener I use sometimes. I suppose I'm thinking of leafy green salads for the most part, where I toss in just about anything. Which is the great thing about making it by and for yourself - doesn't matter if anyone thinks what you've chosen to add is gross or unusual

For seasoning sautéed veg, I tend to like a little bit of heat, so personally I do black and cayenne pepper, salt, and light butter. I've accumulated lots of spices from trying different recipes so I just toss in whatever I feel like. If it's good, it goes in the rotation, otherwise, nope, it's goodbye

I understand this may not be what you like, but mostly should give you ideas on what you do like that you may be able to try
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Pork rinds, chicken feet, coconut, seaweed, pig's feet, mushrooms, shellfish, cow's tongue, olives, cow's brain, blood pudding, ox tail, grasshoppers, lard, pure cacao nibs, cow stomach lining, cactus pads (nopales), liver, gizzards, truffles, oil, squid, nutritional yeast, avocados, pine nuts, edible flowers, blubber, chia seeds, ants, sprouted watermelon seeds, pepitas, unsweetened gelatin, artichokes(¿are these thistle flowers technically vegetables?), sausage, dried shrimp, octopus, and finally... (see photo) silkworm chrysalis! Conveniently canned and according to my friend in Hong Kong, a popular Korean snack! ywih8k92w0do.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Vegetables that have a sweeter taste are carrots, corn, and tomatoes, which are actually of the fruit family. Here in Italy we also eat zucchini flowers. They are prepared by taking the stem out, washing and drying well, putting in a piece of mozzarella and a small piece of anchiovy, dipping in batter and frying. Your quest is a difficult one--good luck. I'd also like to commend you for trying, I imagine that it's not easy. Don't give up, there are so many different veggies and ways to prepare them, that you'll find something sooner or later.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, fruit.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Sorry pal, time to grow up, put on your big boy pants and eat some vegetables...
  • snowflake954
    Options
    For everyone that is concerned about my "welfare" I just want to say eff you I did it, and didn't resort to eating your vegetables.

This post was originally about avoiding sugars. A simple food suggestion list that doesn't involve greens. But of course you wacko's and your pro life green eating marsupials come from every corner of the earth telling me that I should eat them.

This issue I have with eating greens started out as a phobia as a child. Perhaps I choked on them when I was a toddler or something, or perhaps I was spoiled by a sugar/processed food family. I don't really care where the problem originated. What I do know now from my work completely solidifies my decision in not eating greens.

Recently I took a wildlife course (for pesticide use such as flea and tick prevention etc) and had the wonderful opportunity to of inspecting a few large contract dairy farms. I'm am completely satisfied with my findings found in the poo/saliva of many of the animals. The toxin levels were less than .001% on ALL of the animals tested. Which I don't find this hard to believe because farms don't crop dust their cattle.

Yesterday I decided to try a different kind of soup... Which does have vegetables in it. Peas, Carrots, green beans etc.. I'm not a soup fan, and I sure as crap am not a fan of greens. HOWEVER I cooked it and thought well, I'll just pick the things out I do like and eat it. (I only bought it because it had a picture of some HUGE chunks of beef on it lol)... So I take it back to my office desk. My lights are out, I sit the bowl down on the desk beside me and completely forgot that it was there. 30 minutes later I'm thinking "oh crap my soup is going to be cold" I completely forgot that it wasn't my main brand of soup. I ate the ENTIRE CONTENT!! While I was staring at my computer screen. I didn't stare at my food or anything just would glance at it to make sure my spoon hit the bowl.

So, my conclusion, maybe I can eat the greens as long as I don't look at them and they are "watered down" Which is cool because this could be a life changing event where I stop spending 1000s on supplements every year and I could possibly afford that boat I've been wanting.

HOWEVER, even with the "good" fortune of finding this out I still don't think I want to eat them from the store. I think gardening will be consuming my near future... And I suck at that so... Wish my luck..

P.S. This does not mean that animals are healthier than greens. It just means lest pesticides were found in animals than on plants... Some plants I've tested have had as much as 2% (which can kill you)

I found this very interesting OP. You ate the vegetables in your soup because you were focused on something else and "forgot" they were there. That means it's not the flavor. It's a mental thing. Next time pure' those veggies and put alittle in your soup--forget about them. This may be your ticket. If not, as suggested, do some therapy. What have you got to lose?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    One of my go to's was always pureed broccoli on top of ground beef. My version of a shepherds pie. The texture of the broccoli is mashed potatoes. Topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Sorry pal, time to grow up, put on your big boy pants and eat some vegetables...

I'm teasing of course...
  • snowflake954
    Options

I'm teasing of course...

Of course.....
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

My basic seasonings are salt, pepper, butter, garlic, and crushed red pepper. I also use a lot of cheese. Cheese makes even salads palatable and I usually hate salads. (There's nothing less exciting then a mouthful of dry roughage, IMO.)

Acorn squash is sweet tasting. I've always added brown sugar, but I imagine it would taste fine with just butter, salt, and pepper. Try this recipe but don't include the sweeteners and maybe add some extra butter.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-acorn-squash-with-brown-sugar-and-butter-recipe.html