Fitbit Question!

Options
Hey guys!

So I'm not new to MFP by any means, but I AM new to fitbit. I'm going to be starting C25K tonight, and I'm wondering whether it's better to log exercise in the MFP app or in the fitbit app. MFP thankfully told me to log food just in the MFP app, but it didn't mention anything about exercise.

Any other tips you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit picks up your steps, so you shouldn't have to log anything there. Are your accounts synced?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Have you synced the two?

I generally log my exercise into Fitbit and then it carries out the calorie burn to MFP.

You can click 'allow negative adjustments' to avoid double-dipping your calories.
  • herz28camaro
    herz28camaro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    how is this done? "allow negative adjustments' to avoid double-dipping your calories"
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    how is this done? "allow negative adjustments' to avoid double-dipping your calories"

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1084233-should-i-turn-on-negative-calorie-adjustments-
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit picks up your steps, so you shouldn't have to log anything there. Are your accounts synced?

Yeah, they are. I just wasn't sure if I had to log it since it's a run, not walking. It's okay to just have the fitbit count steps without specifically logging the exercise?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I didn't think you had to log it at all... It will automatically count the steps and measure your heart rate and give you more calories
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Yeah, they are. I just wasn't sure if I had to log it since it's a run, not walking. It's okay to just have the fitbit count steps without specifically logging the exercise?

Yep. Fitbit can actually tell the difference between walking and running (even the models without HR can). If your model doesn't have a HRM then you will want to log things like cycling or the elliptical where it can't accurately detect the motion. If you have a HRM model, then just log things like swimming where you actually have to take it off.

Personally, I log activity in Fitbit and only use MFP for food. I've had MFP glitch a few times and send the workout to Fitbit for the wrong time which resulted in the workout being taken into account on Fitbit's side twice (once at a time I didn't do it and partially detected by Fitbit when I did do it). This resulted in my calorie burn on Fitbit's side being a couple hundred higher than it should have been and my adjustment being higher than it should have been as a result.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I only do step based exercise, so never have to manually log exercise.
    Sync fitbit to mfp, set and forget :smiley: