Effective workouts when you have kids

Options
Me and my wife are getting ready to start the weight loss journey together and I couldn't be more happy but there's a catch... We have a 3 year old and a 1 month old!!! So my question for other mothers is what are some effective types of workouts when kiddos are around??? We're gonna do the walking but I want something for her to get results to keep the motivation strong and I'm afraid walking isn't gonna move the scale enough for either of us... Thanks in advance

Replies

• ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you want to workout at home, do Focus T25. Hard to make an excuse when it's only 25 min a day! Get it done early and you'll thank yourself.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Diet will move the scale. A one month old is a lot of work and I'm sure you aren't getting the rest you'd like. If you really want to go for it, do some videos during a nap. I'd recommend weighing your food and sticking to family walks.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is how you move the scale my advice is to get a treadmill
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Diet will move the scale. A one month old is a lot of work and I'm sure you aren't getting the rest you'd like. If you really want to go for it, do some videos during a nap. I'd recommend weighing your food and sticking to family walks.

this x2
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn to lose weight.
    Unless you do that you will not lose weight. CI vs CO
    Calorie deficit=weight loss.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If your infantg is not breastfeeding, than I hope you take turns caring for him/her at night. If he/she is breastfeeding or your wife if handling night wakings for whatever reason, then your worry is how to help her rest during the day, not how to help her exercise.
    As for weight loss, it comes mainly from eating less. If and when your wife is ready, walking with a baby is great. When she is ready/interested into something more, you take care of the kids a few evenings so she can workout then you switch. Serious family workouts with two kids these ages are not going to happen.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ChxSurf782 wrote: »
    If you want to workout at home, do Focus T25. Hard to make an excuse when it's only 25 min a day! Get it done early and you'll thank yourself.

This. I do T25. I have successfully lost 40lbs doing it. I have 4 kids, with 3 of them under 4. 25 min is a very short amount of time but will kick your ***. Jillian Michaels DVD's are also good, but i personally prefer T25 and following its calendar keeps me consistent.

With that said, diet is what will get your scale moving. Exercise is mostly for fitness and to help create a larger deficit in your calories.

Also, best time to do is nap time. If that is not possible, then early in the morning before they wake up OR after they go to bed at night. Or some days your wife can do her workout while you watch the kids and vice versa. Good Luck! You can do it, it's possible!

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Eat for weightloss, exercise for fitness. So, if the goal is just to lose weight, then eat less food.

Also, the kids are a non-issue. I lift weights in my garage and occasionally run on the treadmill. The 1-month old isn't a problem, just throw them in a pack & play or whatever to keep them safe. The 3-year old you can just train to stay away from you while exercising and give them something to entertain themselves. I have a 6, 4, and 2 year old and have been lifting for 15 months (so I started when they were 5, 2, and 1) and all 3 of them will be out in the garage with me while I lift. My 4 & 2 year old even count the plates before I deadlift (I deadlift 12 if anyone is wondering). Yes, there may be some crying while I get my workout done, but they are fine and will have to get over whatever "crisis" is currently happening.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender on Youtube. Amazing workouts for every fitness level and it is free!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My husband and I take our daughter (currently 10 months) on nightly walks - usually a couple of miles. We started going on walks about 3 days after we got home from the hospital. Granted, we didn't walk this winter, but I feel like the walking has definitely helped with losing the baby weight (along with a calorie deficit and breastfeeding). Its also a good time to catch up with each other without technology interfering.

If you're wanting something more intense, you're probably going to have to swap out. Have one person on baby duty while the other is exercising, and vice versa. The T25 option sounds great for this - we might just have to look into that! Good luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife are getting ready to start the weight loss journey together and I couldn't be more happy but there's a catch... We have a 3 year old and a 1 month old!!! So my question for other mothers is what are some effective types of workouts when kiddos are around??? We're gonna do the walking but I want something for her to get results to keep the motivation strong and I'm afraid walking isn't gonna move the scale enough for either of us... Thanks in advance

Calorie deficit for weight loss. As others have said watch calorie intake for weight loss.
    Walking is great. Get a pedometer or fitness tracker and try to increase your steps.
    Step based workout dvd's like Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home are easy to do and easy to stop and start.
    Lots of free workouts on you tube are 30 minutes or less. I like Jessica Smith tv and she has a large variety of videos. FitnessBlender also has a bunch.
    Dancing. Just turn on music and have a dance party with the kids.
    Take turns exercising and occupying the kids.
    Help your wife to get enough sleep rather than more exercise. I was sleep deprived for years due to my dd and I would overeat to compensate for my lack of sleep.
  • artzymummy
    artzymummy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We do family walks on the weekends and when my anxiety isn't being a pain I will take the kids out during the week. Pushing two toddlers in a tandem stroller is a workout, especially if there are hills or wind.

Otherwise, I try and get something in while they nap or do body weight strength training while they are playing. There is quite a bit you can do with them in the room, you just have to be prepared to stop if they need you. My oldest likes to try and do some of the stuff with me and I like the added bonus of my boys growing up seeing fitness as something you do everyday without shame.

My husband does stretches every morning before going to work (he has a physical job) and the kids and I join him. Watching toddlers touch their toes is adorable because they squat rather then stretch, lol.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    At one month post partum she is most likely not even cleared for exercise. That *typically* is 6 weeks, and 8 weeks for csection mamas. Focus on eating less than you burn first. If she is breastfeeding, she needs to talk to her dr or get in touch with La Leche League to discuss calorie limits.
    If your wife has the energy to work out after she is cleared, props to her. My son is 10 months old, my only child thus far, and I still have days where I am too tired to function. But if she does not, after she is cleared, I am sure you will not push her to exercise. I am sure you will support her and help her cook meals and care for the children.
    Bottom line is, you sound like you are trying to be the driving force for her to "get results and keep the motivation strong." She needs to be the one to initiate if she is ready to exercise or not.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Play like a kid. Takes no training and you spend time with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This works great if you just want some general cardio. I run around with my kids all the time and can often wear them out if I want to. If you want to build some serious strength though you still need a few hours/week with some weights.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yayyy! Just eat a little less and make good choices. Stay moving. Do squats with the babes and walk around the house throughout the day. Little things add up!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great advice above. I just wanted to pop in and say that while I love T25 and other videos, if your wife gave birth to that one month old, she may not be ready for some of those things even when she's cleared for exercise. T25 is a lot of jumping, and can be difficult to do before her pelvic floor and deep abdominal strength is back up to par, even if she does the modified exercises.

Kegels. All day long lol. Best exercise ever at one month postpartum..
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Eat for weightloss, exercise for fitness. So, if the goal is just to lose weight, then eat less food.

Also, the kids are a non-issue. I lift weights in my garage and occasionally run on the treadmill. The 1-month old isn't a problem, just throw them in a pack & play or whatever to keep them safe. The 3-year old you can just train to stay away from you while exercising and give them something to entertain themselves. I have a 6, 4, and 2 year old and have been lifting for 15 months (so I started when they were 5, 2, and 1) and all 3 of them will be out in the garage with me while I lift. My 4 & 2 year old even count the plates before I deadlift (I deadlift 12 if anyone is wondering). Yes, there may be some crying while I get my workout done, but they are fine and will have to get over whatever "crisis" is currently happening.

This.
    Reiterating to focus on food.
    I have a 4-year-old. When I'm home alone with him, I've been found to put a workout dvd (or a youtube video) on in one room and squeeze in a 15-30 minute workout while he's watching tv. Last week he came in to join me for a bit- which made it a more interesting workout! My husband and I are both trying to lose weigh- so the usual thing for us is to give eachother time. Some mornings he'll get up early for a run. Other evenings I'll take off for a run or a trip to the gym. But even 'stuck at home' it's all about keeping the child entertained (or a part of it). And yes, the 1 month old, put in a bouncy chair if you're at home exercising, or in a stroller or pack if out for a walk :)

And oh as @Noelani1503 said, if your wife just had the baby, she'll want to take it easy with fitness videos. Giving her time to take the baby out for stroller rides is nice :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Same here honestly, especially for the mother of the baby. T25, in my opinion, isn't exactly made for 4wk PP females:) Get started with diet control and family walks, and perhaps when she is truly recovered (6wk minimum as far as I know) then consider adding in a workout video like the ones from fitness blender. At least they're free, if you don't like it or need something different it's no problem :)

Baby steps! My husband is just now getting into my efforts, he's interested in walks but hasn't yet been willing to go. I think your family walks are wonderful!