I feel so bad and angry with myself :(

Options
For the past 2 and a half weeks I have been eating soooo good with basically no sweets/chocolate and exerciseing loads. But on Saturday we used our ice cream maker and it's so fattening and I had a tiny bit of that and then had a bbq on Saturday and Sunday (but not that unhealthy but you know, kind of eh) and then today I couldn't do my exercise because I have been having pains in my lower back and I don't want to make it worse so took a break only for today (this is my first break day from exercise) I've had like 15 bits of toffee popcorn on sunday and a homemade rock bun that isn't THAT fattening. I am really demotivated because I put on a pound even tho I lost 2 in my first week, today mfp says I would weight 10st 3 pounds in 5 weeks if I carried on eating like today even tho normally it's would be 9st 14 pounds. I look like I did 2 weeks ago (but it's the end of the day) help me please

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with any of those foods as long as you are eating them in moderation. Did you stay under your calorie goal? How many pounds do you want to lose and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?
  • honeyseymour123
    honeyseymour123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im in my cycle right now. And I don't eat enough to calories as I need to and I wanna lose 2-3 pounds a week but muscle weighs more than fat so idk
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Im in my cycle right now. And I don't eat enough to calories as I need to and I wanna lose 2-3 pounds a week but muscle weighs more than fat so idk

Losing 2-3 lbs a week is a very aggressive goal, and likely to be difficult unless you're obese.

Don't go by The Biggest Loser or most television standards of weight loss. SUSTAINABLE weight loss is slow and steady. I guarantee you're setting yourself up to fail if you eat way below MFP's recommendations and refuse to eat foods you enjoy.

It's not a race. Do you want to keep yo-yo dieting and gaining back weight you lose by restricting yourself, or do you want to lose weight in a healthy way that you can keep up with for life?

I ate pizza and way too much ice cream this weekend; my weight went up by 5 lbs. I almost guarantee it'll be back down by after work or tomorrow morning. Why? Water retention and way too much salt. Your weight will fluctuate. Be patient.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Unless you have over 75 pounds to lose, losing 2 pounds per week is an overly aggressive goal. You'd be undereating, which can lead to binging, which will undo all your hard work. If you undereat and do not binge, then you will be malnourished and your hair can fall out, etc.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

No. It doesn't. 1 pound of muscle weighs the exact same as 1 pound of fat. the way it appears is different, hence giving a more slimming appearance.

That being said. I had a coach who use to tells us it takes 6 weeks to make anything a habit. 2 and 1/2 weeks isn't very long. You will slip up. Acknowledge it, log it and work to do better the next day. If you beat yourself up so bad you'll be out of the race marathon when it just got started
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agreed with previous statements.
    1) you've just begun. Give yourself time to adjust.
    2) this shouldn't be a crash diet; the journey to weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.
    3) focus on more numbers than just the scale: # of days at caloric intake, minutes in gym, # of sugar cravings resisted
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

Losing 2-3 lbs a week is a very aggressive goal, and likely to be difficult unless you're obese.

Don't go by The Biggest Loser or most television standards of weight loss. SUSTAINABLE weight loss is slow and steady. I guarantee you're setting yourself up to fail if you eat way below MFP's recommendations and refuse to eat foods you enjoy.

It's not a race. Do you want to keep yo-yo dieting and gaining back weight you lose by restricting yourself, or do you want to lose weight in a healthy way that you can keep up with for life?

I ate pizza and way too much ice cream this weekend; my weight went up by 5 lbs. I almost guarantee it'll be back down by after work or tomorrow morning. Why? Water retention and way too much salt. Your weight will fluctuate. Be patient.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Unless you have over 75 pounds to lose, losing 2 pounds per week is an overly aggressive goal. You'd be undereating, which can lead to binging, which will undo all your hard work. If you undereat and do not binge, then you will be malnourished and your hair can fall out, etc.

Listen to both of these very smart people. Estimating off the projections you posted, you're about 150 lbs right now. 0.5-1 lb would be a much more reasonable goal, or 1-1.5 lbs if you're really, really short. In addition to what they mentioned, you risk losing a lot of muscle if you lose weight quickly, and that's not going to give you the sexy body you want at the end.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You are missing the point about "fattening". Something is not, per se, fattening due to the calories, fat, protein, sugar, or carbs it does contain. Rather, the portion size you consume of any food is what determines your total daily consumption of calories. Compare your total daily consumption of calories to your total daily energy expenditure, tdeecalculator.net, and then you will know if your day of consuming food has contributed a miniscule amount of excess energy converted to fat at the rate of 3500 calories per 1 lb fat.

It was a very good feast if you consumed an excess of 3500 calories. You didn't. Quit beating yourself up. Get back on your calorie deficit and buy a kitchen scale so that you can get control of your portions.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Beating yourself up does not change things for the better. I have found that out the hard way. Until three years ago I was the master at beating myself up for making bad decisions especially when I am not eating right
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Pff. Don't worry about it. Just keep going. If I worried about every binge I've had over these last 3 years I would have gotten nowhere.

In the end, it's just a blip. It's only catastrophic if you allow it to be.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There is no 'fattening' food. Everything's fine as long as it fits in your calories, and it hardly seems like you went overboard.

Did you even log all that stuff?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    1) Stop beating up on yourself. Being down on yourself is not going to make matters better.
    2) What matters is a calorie deficit. You can have ice cream! You can have toffee popcorn! These foods are not inherently bad, and they can be part of a balanced, healthy diet. Just make sure you log it and that it fits your daily goal. And even if you go over a little, you probably haven't gone over maintenance. Even if you go over a lot, it takes 3500 calories to gain a lb. Just get back on track the next day.
    3) Your weight is going to fluctuate. On May 2, I was 129 lbs. On May 9 (the day after a big Mother's Day meal), I was 132 lbs. Today, I'm 128 lbs. Sodium intake, exercise, TOM, etc. all can impact your weight. Going up a lb doesn't mean you've put a lb of fat on.
    4) Taking a rest day from exercise at least once a week is a good idea to help your body recover. If you never let it recover, it can't repair muscle efficiently, and you can get so tired and worn down you hurt yourself.
    5) You did not gain the weight overnight. You're not going to lose it overnight. It will take time to see change. Stick with this. Give your body time.
    6) If the MFP "You will weigh" message stresses you out, stop completing your diary at the end of the day. Your food will still be logged.
    7) You have to make this sustainable. You have to find ways to include foods you love because you're not going to eat chicken and veggies for every meal forever. You have to get a workout routine that is sustainable for your body. And most importantly, be strict but kind with yourself. Have discipline, but don't abuse yourself for slipping a little.

Quoting the above because it's excellent advice & bears repeating.

There is utterly no point in getting down on yourself. Self-criticism burns no extra calories ( ;) ).

Log what you ate, even if you went over goal, and even if you have to estimate. Then go on.

You have to eat roughly 3500 calories over your maintenance calorie level (the level at which you'd neither gain nor lose) in order to gain one pound. If you see more "gain" than that on the scale, it's just water weight, and will drop off in anything from a few days to a week or two, depending on its cause.

Just get back on your healthy track, and don't worry. At worst, even if you ate over your maintenance calories, it's only at most a few days' delay in reaching your ultimate goal. If you don't give up, you haven't failed. If you're on track the majority of the time, you will reach your goal: The majority of our days determine the majority of our progress.

You can do this.
  • MrsQuinones132
    MrsQuinones132 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had potato chips, ice cream, pizza, and chicken nuggets last week, not all on the same day and all on portion control while still sticking to my daily calorie intake. Don't beat yourself up, you can have all those things you crave in moderation. The important thing is to log and make better choice more often then bad ones, promise you'll see results. But remember results not only come on a scale but can also be measured by who you feel, or how you look in something, or fit into something that didn't fit before. This is a lifestyle change, it takes time, patience, drive, and acceptance that you won't always be perfect of have a great food or exercise day. Just keep trying.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Relax.... log everything that you eat and don't beat yourself up. It's okay to eat treats too (and I eat them often and have been losing weight...treats keep me sane.lol). There are no bad/fattening foods unless it's burned or it is something that you don't like. Fat is okay and essential for our bodies. The only way to gin weight is to eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight, All you have to do is stick to your calorie goal and you're set. Also, change your weekly weight loss goal to .5-1lb per week since you're around 140lbs... 2+lbs per week is far far too aggressive and is suitable if one has over 50lbs to lose.

TL;DR if a food fits your calories, then it's okay!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Did you log everything? If not, you may not have even gone over your deficit, and you're panicking for nothing.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Take it easy on yourself! People who are super tolerant to strangers often beat themselves up over minor stuff, it's not right. It's just food; it's not genocide.
  • LittleOneLoveLife
    LittleOneLoveLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    don't be sad or angry, your here trying to make a positive change! you should be proud that you are making an effort towards a healthier life! take a deep breath and start again :smile:
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    1) Stop beating up on yourself. Being down on yourself is not going to make matters better.
    2) What matters is a calorie deficit. You can have ice cream! You can have toffee popcorn! These foods are not inherently bad, and they can be part of a balanced, healthy diet. Just make sure you log it and that it fits your daily goal. And even if you go over a little, you probably haven't gone over maintenance. Even if you go over a lot, it takes 3500 calories to gain a lb. Just get back on track the next day.
    3) Your weight is going to fluctuate. On May 2, I was 129 lbs. On May 9 (the day after a big Mother's Day meal), I was 132 lbs. Today, I'm 128 lbs. Sodium intake, exercise, TOM, etc. all can impact your weight. Going up a lb doesn't mean you've put a lb of fat on.
    4) Taking a rest day from exercise at least once a week is a good idea to help your body recover. If you never let it recover, it can't repair muscle efficiently, and you can get so tired and worn down you hurt yourself.
    5) You did not gain the weight overnight. You're not going to lose it overnight. It will take time to see change. Stick with this. Give your body time.
    6) If the MFP "You will weigh" message stresses you out, stop completing your diary at the end of the day. Your food will still be logged.
    7) You have to make this sustainable. You have to find ways to include foods you love because you're not going to eat chicken and veggies for every meal forever. You have to get a workout routine that is sustainable for your body. And most importantly, be strict but kind with yourself. Have discipline, but don't abuse yourself for slipping a little.

How much more THIS can I say!

What I can say is whatever you have been doing the last 2 1/2 weeks is not sustainable. You can't exercise everyday for the rest of your life. You can't deny yourself little treats every day for the rest of your life.

Rest days are part of a healthier lifestyle. Treats and special occasions are part of life. The daily fluctuations of food and activity are to be expected and not a reason to go into crisis mode.

You probably have many more reasons to be celebrating your over-all health than being angry at one little pound.