Bored with cardio

Options
Lately I have just been running 3-7 miles a day or biking 12-20 miles a day. I have been bored and burnt out with these forms of exercise. I would love some ideas for other cardio! I have also started incorporating weights into my routine recently but I would love some other options. I live in a very small town, far away from cities, so gyms and other organized exercise are not an option. Any suggestions?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitnessblender.com or search their youtube channel. They have tons of different workouts for everything from strength to piyo
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Are you riding and running outdoors, or inside on machines? If outside, try varying your routes?

I bike a lot, and I've been living in Seattle for years so I've done every street, most of them too many times to count. Can't do much about that after work, but on weekends I drive my bike into the mountains and ride scenic roads, mostly ones I haven't been on before. It keeps things a lot more interesting and gives me things to look forward to.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you riding and running outdoors, or inside on machines? If outside, try varying your routes?

I bike a lot, and I've been living in Seattle for years so I've done every street, most of them too many times to count. Can't do much about that after work, but on weekends I drive my bike into the mountains and ride scenic roads, mostly ones I haven't been on before. It keeps things a lot more interesting and gives me things to look forward to.

I always ride outside unless the weather is awful. I will defiantly try varying my routes, but there are only so many country roads haha!
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    *definately
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lately I have just been running 3-7 miles a day or biking 12-20 miles a day. I have been bored and burnt out with these forms of exercise. I would love some ideas for other cardio! I have also started incorporating weights into my routine recently but I would love some other options. I live in a very small town, far away from cities, so gyms and other organized exercise are not an option. Any suggestions?

1. Jump rope 1 min on 1 min rest x 20-30
    2. Listening to podcasts whilst running
    3. Sprints
    4. Uphill sprints
    5. Cycling
    6. Swimming
    7. Circuits
    8. Did I say jump rope?
    9. Seriously, jump rope.

Within a month, you'll be jumping rope like a boxer, makes you feel very cool:)
  • laura935
    laura935 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Burpee's!!!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Live in country. ..got any big Tyre to flip or attach to ropes to pull? Create circuits including diff things you can pull or push as well as things u dont need anything for like burpes pushups etc
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Live in country. ..got any big Tyre to flip or attach to ropes to pull? Create circuits including diff things you can pull or push as well as things u dont need anything for like burpes pushups etc
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I throw in a Zumba or TurboKick workout every now in then when running seems blah. There's a lot of videos on YouTube/fitness sites, or you can see if there's a class somewhere so you can have the social aspect.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    start to mountain bike if you can in your area, road bike = work, mtb = fun

• sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Insanity Max 30. Very hard, ergo not boring.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

You just posted about how you were eating 1200 calories and complaining about not having any energy. Face palm....this explains it.

"I have been getting so frustrated that I can't get around my calorie goal of 1200 calories and my energy levels have been beyond low, so I moved it up to 1400 calories. I feel guilty eating this much and feel as though I have gained weight. I can't tell for sure because my scale is broken and I haven't had time to buy a new one. Am I crazy to assume that by moving my calorie intake up 200 calories, that I will gain a lot of weight fast? Because that is how I am feeling, but I really cannot go back to 1200 calories! Help!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

I always ride outside unless the weather is awful. I will defiantly try varying my routes, but there are only so many country roads haha!

I would also suggest mixing up how you train...I primarily cycle for my cardio and some days I just put in miles, some days I do hills, some days I do threshold intervals, etc.

Also, have you ever thought about signing up for a running or cycling event...I find that training with a purpose helps alleviate boredom and you also really start seeing and tracking your fitness improvements.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options

Train for an event.

Look up events in your state/province ... or the next state/province over ... or in another country ... and start training.

I'm a cyclist and this year so far, I've trained for, and cycled:

-- a 200 km randonnee in the northern part of my state
    -- a climb up our local mountain ... that was just my husband and me, but something I've wanted to do since we got here
    -- a 300 km randonnee in a state in the northern part of my country

The mountain climb was quite local, but the other two weren't. We're now looking around for a couple other events to round out the year and are open to ideas anywhere within Australia or possibly also New Zealand.

So while you might do most of your cycling locally ... training for something elsewhere is very motivating.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oops ... duplicate
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do my aerobics video to switch it up
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Could you be bored because of your calorie intake? How many lbs do you have to lose?

Try soccer with friends, pickup basketball, take the dog for a walk,

add more protein to your diet
    Dig a garden
    mow the lawn
    gp horseback riding
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    get a smaller folding exercise bike and bike while you watch TV.