Vacation Tips Requested

Options
2»

Replies

• vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm more of an enjoy yourself while on vacay and worry about it when you get back home person! That being said, don't overindulge if you don't really want to. I just got back from 4 days in Vegas and thoroughly enjoyed myself by having plenty of drinks and food, but didn't go to a buffet for instance or eat another meal at like 2 am just bc I could.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since 4/1/16 and am down 14 lbs. Going on vacation in two weeks to visit sister in Florida. These vacations have historically included:
    1. Mostly SITTING around the pool gabbing and laughing.
    2. Lots of calorie-laden umbrella COCKTAILS
    3. Erratic meals/ restaurant meals/ bar-b-ques.

I don't want to come back with an additional 5 (or more!) lbs., but I don't want to be one of those "diet" obsessed, buzz-kill types either. Thinking about finding a nearby gym that might let me use the facilities short-term so I can fit workouts in the early AM while everyone else is sleeping.

Any advice for walking this fine line? Thank you in advance....

Just walk more swim more dance more.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Goldengirl111: Like the dancing idea :) Haven't done that it too long - overdue....
  • rajushank84
    rajushank84 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here are a few things I like to do
    - Stick to neat drinks, either scotch or brandy neat or on the rocks. Or light beer. Red wine is not bad either. Get buzzed without getting fat ;).

- Buy fancy scotch or cognac and take it with me. A room service or bar will charge me a lot for a pedestrian scotch, like say a Black Label or a Glenlivet 12. Instead if I buy and take with me, I can get a super special bottle of something like Highland Park 21 or Martell XO cognac. Its a sin to mix anything in these premium drinks anyway, and they are so delicious neat, so the question of mixing doesn't come up!

- Generally breakfast/brunch is where I tend to binge eat. Those diner style breakfasts can come up to 1000 - 1500 calories PER MEAL. I still enjoy food on vacation, but I try to log before eating it. It helps me stay under maintenance.

- I eat a lot of steak! That's win-win because I love steak, and I still get my protein in!

- Sometimes I "cheat" by doing low protein, and use those calories on carbs. Its amazing how much junk food you can fit in under maintenance, if they are all carbs!

- Another thing you can do is "save up" calories for a week by eating say, 200 under what you would normally eat for a week before the vacation - and then add those 200 on top of your maintenance during the vacation. DON'T BORROW THESE FROM PROTEIN! Borrow these from carbs.

Sometimes, vacations even give me a whoosh :). Which makes sense because they act as carb refeeds without going over maintenance. Its all good as long as I don't go crazy with the alcohol :).

I don't bother with the gym for vacations one week long or less. I can actually use the rest, and when I come back I am even stronger in the gym!

Hope this helps.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. IMO, we work too hard at this all year to blow it on vaca. I feel that I can enjoy myself on vacation, taste local cuisine, and maintain or lose weight. I would get sick to my stomach if I ate now the way I used to. It's just not desirable to me, but some people still like to. It's just about what your priorities & goals are.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Shoot I never watch anything on vacation. My SO and I went to New Zealand and Fiji two years ago for 3 weeks and I didn't watch a THING. I came back and had gained 6 pounds, but IT WAS WORTH IT. :)

I never worry about that stuff. I know how to lose weight and I get so little vacation time to worry about a few pounds.