Staying motivated

Options
I'm trying to be healthy but everyone in the house isn't. Right now my mom is eating chips and my sister is eating Rice Krispies and fruit roll ups.. I had made a kale and spinach juice earlier and just had a ham sandwich with spinach and cheese and some apple slices and peanut butter. I am craving ice cream and chips and chocolate and it's literally taking every ounce of me to not go grab some! When does it get easier? (Today is my first official day of changing my lifestyle)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's day 1, stick with it and you'll find within a week the cravings will subside. Perhaps take a walk while the family scoff their treats in front of you? That would not be easy to watch imo :/

Keep focused on your goals, perhaps set a mini goal.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You could set aside 150 calories for some ice cream tomorrow.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle for me too. It's just a decision to make. Either decide to work something decadent into your day or say no. I haven't found that it ever gets easier if others are eating around me, even if they are eating healthy around me, I want some too. Lol
  • bkdover
    bkdover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Every day gets easier. I started Yoga at my house today, streamed it from my phone, I am morbidly obese and needed to start with the gentle stretches....but was able to do modified versions for 45 mins! It felt so good that I did it again before I made dinner for my family (who also are NOT dieting).....it gives u a sense of control over your body. Good luck!
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It will get easier as you go along. For ice cream I get the no sugar added variety because it is less calories. I get it the small single pint and only eat one serving at a time which is about 1/4 of the pint. I used to be bad about snack cakes like Little Debbie's and also cheese danish. All of those are high in calories and not much nutritional value so I replaced them with fresh fruit and low calorie yogurt. I also found low calorie rice pudding and tapioca pudding at Kroger that is pretty good.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Fruit roll ups and rice Krispy squares aren't high calorie sweets. There is nothing wrong with eating these things while dieting. I eat 1/2 cup of ice cream every day, just because I have a 4 L bucket doesn't mean I have to eat the whole thing. I love ice cream personally and a serving costs me only 140 calories.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's harder when the whole house isn't on board. I fit chocolate and/or ice cream in my diet everyday. If I didn't I would likely binge on sweets at some point...I know from experience;) I just make sure to fit it in my cals and possibly do extra exercise to fit more cals into my day. Depending on your goals (weight loss is just about calories) you can certainly eat some sweet treats...it really helps me to plan ahead with what I will eat for treats that day and how much so I plan to not overindulge:)
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everyday gets a bit easier, however that being said I strongly suggest you allow yourself some of the treats you love! If you go cold turkey, it probably won't be something you stick with for the long run (took me 6 or 7 times starting and stopping to figure this one out) Just save up some calories and enjoy that ice cream or put in some extra cardio.
  • pcsd203
    pcsd203 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to set one day aside and let myself have one...."bad" meal. I know me and in the past if I didn't let myself slide, when I broke down, it was bad...I'd eat anything and everything that was bad. My snack cravings are much much easier to deal with now and then knowing I will let myself have something helps. Hubby isn't on board, but he hides the stuff he knows I would love to be nibbling on. That does help and he tries not to eat that stuff in front of me too.