Ketogenic/Primal Pals

Options
Hello :) I am relatively new to following a ketogenic, primal, type lifestyle and I REALLY would like to have a few keto friends to interact with!

Replies

• courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey there :) I'm also doing keto and will be doing IF once I get through the keto flu. Lol. I'd love to have support as well as give it :)
  • dmz24
    dmz24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting too! Would love friends.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I've been ketogenic since January. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Hey there :) I'm also doing keto and will be doing IF once I get through the keto flu. Lol. I'd love to have support as well as give it :)

Sorry to hear you're feeling like crud! You shouldn't be having keto flu at all - it's likely that your electrolytes are out of whack. How much sodium are you getting? Are you supplementing potassium and magnesium?
  • courtniekrebs
    Options
    I just started a multivitamin today. I've also been trying up fluids a lot and take it easy.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I just started a multivitamin today. I've also been trying up fluids a lot and take it easy.

You need more than fluids! You need potassium, magnesium, and sodium.

I recommend ketoade. I do 4g of Morton's Litesalt in a bottle of water, with a squirt of Mio to hide the salty taste. It gives me sufficient electrolytes to avoid the brain fog, fatigue, and headaches that I get when I don't get the electrolytes in. If I have a particularly gruesome cardio session, I have a second bottle of the same while working out. Feel better!!
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with Panda_Poptarts. I just started taking magnesium, and potassium supplements, as well as others... It has made a world of difference!
  • cmm90230
    cmm90230 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found a supportive thread. I've been researching and reading on the Ketogenic diet style and have been slowly transitioning to this way of eating. I love it. I've already noticed several areas, mainly joint inflamation and scalp inflamation that I treated with a topical steroid, that have improved. I'm reading Maria Emmerich's cookbook along with the book she co-authored with Jimmy Moore. I think I've found my life long eating plan.
  • SheLikesToLift
    Options
    cmm90230 wrote: »
    I'm glad to have found a supportive thread. I've been researching and reading on the Ketogenic diet style and have been slowly transitioning to this way of eating. I love it. I've already noticed several areas, mainly joint inflamation and scalp inflamation that I treated with a topical steroid, that have improved. I'm reading Maria Emmerich's cookbook along with the book she co-authored with Jimmy Moore. I think I've found my life long eating plan.

I have that book too!!! The Ketogenic Cookbook! I havent really made too many recipes from it yet, because alot of them call for ingredients that I dont own yet... Have to sit down, make a meal plan, then a grocery list lol. But they all sound REALLY yummy! Ive noticed that Im losing inches, there has been a shift in weight, but only slight. It must be because I am lifting weights ontop of following a ketogenic lifestyle. I love the results I am getting physically, plus the mental clarity, easier periods, more energy, better sleep... Its all been a great. In the beginning it was a lottle hard getting past the carb and sugar cravings (which I still get during TOM) but they are manageable now and getting less and less severe the longer I eat keto.
  • ketogenicgirl2016
    ketogenicgirl2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First day starting ketogenic. So far I was fairly close to keeping my carbs under my percentage and was unable to meet my fat intake. Any thoughts or ideas on what I can apply? My protein is on point, but just had a problem meeting my fat intake.
  • courtniekrebs
    Options
    Nuts ? Or peanut butter.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between a low carb diet and a ketogenic diet?
  • cmm90230
    Options
    For extra fat I add a some coconut oil. I think a tablespoon is 16 gms so you can portion it for what you need. Just don't have it on an empty tummy because it can cause upset. I add a tbsp to plain yogurt.
  • courtniekrebs
    Options
    Keto is really low carb. Normally 20g or less. Low carb is more flexible. Some people do 50g or less, some do 100g or less.
  • cmm90230
    Options
    cmm90230 wrote: »

I have that book too!!! The Ketogenic Cookbook! I havent really made too many recipes from it yet, because alot of them call for ingredients that I dont own yet... Have to sit down, make a meal plan, then a grocery list lol. But they all sound REALLY yummy! Ive noticed that Im losing inches, there has been a shift in weight, but only slight. It must be because I am lifting weights on top of following a ketogenic lifestyle. I love the results I am getting physically, plus the mental clarity, easier periods, more energy, better sleep... Its all been a great. In the beginning it was a lottle hard getting past the carb and sugar cravings (which I still get during TOM) but they are manageable now and getting less and less severe the longer I eat keto.

I know what you mean about the ingredients, lol...I went to Sprouts to shop for a few items to make some dessert treats, but they didn't have too much to offer. Just today I ordered some stuff from Amazon and the prices are a little better too.

I'm looking for overall health improvement too, especially my cycle and joint inflamation. I've been off and on medication to help with the severe roller coaster of PMS/PMDD symptoms, even a bunch of SSRI antidepressants - which left me feeling like a zombie. I knew it was food, so I eliminated most wheat first, then went back to eating wheat a few weeks later and I could immediately tell the difference. I feel better and even though the weight has been going down slowly, I also feel like I'm losing inches so I am definitely beginning to burn more fat. I'm doing a bootcamp class for 28 days (2 days in class, 5 days on my own) so I'll be curious to see how that helps in the weight department. Onward and upward!
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am doing low carb and keep my carbs under fifty this week am shooting to keep them under 40 tonight my carbs were 40 fat was 24, protein 82 sugar 13 salt 1300 cholestrole was 209 fiber was 5 should I change anything either up or down for better results? Oh the other thing Is I had lost 10 pounds in a month but my immune system sucks and I got a respitory infection and finishing up my third round of antibotics and have gained a [pound since being sick. So this week decided to shoot to keep them 4o grams or under
  • cruisingal05
    cruisingal05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'd love to join this group. I just completed my 4th day on keto-paleo and other than a nasty 2 day headache I think I'm doing ok and finally getting the hang of this WOE. I started dropping a few little Himalayan rock salts into my water throughout the day and the headache went away. I'm so glad I found My fitness pal, I think I spent at least $20 in the apple App Store on some really crappy keto apps! Glad to find a group of like minded keto-ers!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, et al, suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    OP, et al, suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Ditto this. You'll find LOTS of support there. Good luck! :)
  • SheLikesToLift
    Options
    Thank you @ladipoet and @nvmomketo

I appreciate you sharing the link!