total calorie from food and exercise?

Options
dualvans
dualvans Posts: 51 Member
im new to MFP and wear my fitbit HR which syncs to fitbit. I'm bit confused, so forgive this total newbie question! but i have set my calorie goal at 1,330 per my nutrionist. I see in my diary for today that i ate 1,028 calories total but also earned 2,215 calories from exercise i did today, giving me a total of 2,517 as remaining.

what does that mean?? i certainly don't want to be eating 2,517 in calories per day!

Replies

• lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eat that much but you're most likely not eating enough. try to eat at least the 1330
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    aside from what your nutrtionist told you to eat you earned extra calories by exercising that are additional so your remaing calories are your deficit
  • dualvans
    Options
    Do people usually eat their deficit calories on top of what's set for them?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    dualvans wrote: »
    Do people usually eat their deficit calories on top of what's set for them?

Everyone is different but most people range from 50-70% of their exercise calories eaten in addition to their daily goal. I personally don't go by what fitbit sends over. If I burn 400 in exercise, I eat back only 200, even if my fitbit adjustment says 1200.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    the fitbit calorie burn is just an estimate, so you usually don't want to eat it all back in case it is high. As others have said many people try to eat about 50% or so.
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Fit bit estimates are bogus. However, your calories seem far too low.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    did you really earn 2200 cals from exercise, or is that your TDEE for the day?
  • dualvans
    Options
    It's my TDEE as I also walked near 5 miles throughout the day.
  • dualvans
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »
    Fit bit estimates are bogus. However, your calories seem far too low.

What should my calorie intake should be per day? I want to lose approx 60 pounds.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1330 that your nutritionist suggests, plus 50 % of your exercise and you'll do well most days.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What does your Fitbit say your Calorie burn for the day was (not the adjustment...the actual calorie burn from your fitbit dashboard)?
    How many steps did you get in?
    What are your stats (Height, age, weight)?
    Have you looked at the math behind your adjustment?
    from pc: go to exercise diary, click the little " i " that shows up next to your Fitbit Calorie Adjustment
    from the app: tap the exercise adjustment at the bottom of your diary, new page will appear, tap the adjustment again

~I have a Fitbit and when I'm losing weight I eat all the calories it gives me. However, MFP has been glitching here recently and the adjustments have been all wonky (double adjustments or MFP claiming exercise logged when their wasn't or both). For this reason I have switched to using a TDEE calculator for recomp for now and turned off exercise being added into my day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

so you want to eat that number minus about 500
  • dualvans
    Options
    What does your Fitbit say your Calorie burn for the day was (not the adjustment...the actual calorie burn from your fitbit dashboard)?
    from pc: go to exercise diary, click the little " i " that shows up next to your Fitbit Calorie Adjustment
    from the app: tap the exercise adjustment at the bottom of your diary, new page will appear, tap the adjustment again

obg097d9dj9e.png

On my gym days I seem to hit 11K range of steps per day, and on Monday my dashboard indicate 2,828 calories burned. Non gym days I average about 5-6K steps with total burn of 2,100 range calories.

I'm 39 years old, 5'3" weighing 187.4lbs.
  • dualvans
    Options

Ok. To be sure, I want to double check my numbers. How do I find my TDEE for per day?
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    At this point, don't second guess the nutritionist - do at least what they say. You may want to ask the nutritionist if that 1330 is your base (without exercise) or if they already figured in your activity/exercise level for the calorie count. I've seen a couple different ways to figure out the calorie count, so it would be good to find out from the nutritionist what method they used.

For example - One site I used figured out my base calorie including my average exercise levels - told me I needed 1900 / day to maintain, but only 1400 or so calories/ day to cut weight. This site/app determines activity based on your general daily activity without exercise - told me I need 1200 calories / day to cut weight, but then when I do exercise, I get to add that to my daily count, so my count on this site/app for exercise days can be as high as 1900 depending on how aggressively I go out paddleboarding that day. I plan on tracking for a few weeks and then establishing an average for my daily (which I suspect will be around the 1400 range given by the other site), so I don't have a rollercoaster of eating - 1200 on no exercise days, 1500 on regular exercise days, and 1900 on race days. Your nutritionist may have already provided you that average.

Without knowing how your nutritionist calculated the 1330, it's actually hard to say if that is your base and you should do 50% over for your exercise, or if that is your desired daily which includes the exercise you get, so you shouldn't add the 50% over for your exercise, but just eat the 1330.

One of the biggest comments I see on another fitness site is that some people aren't losing weight because they aren't eating enough so the body goes into store mode rather than burn mode - sounds like you may have the same issue if you are only at 1028 calories and your nutritionist is recommending at least 1330. I think now that you are starting to track it, you are seeing that you aren't eating enough for the calorie burn for your body (which has been my problem too). Good luck and congrats on being on your way to getting healthier!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Ok. To be sure, I want to double check my numbers. How do I find my TDEE for per day?

No idea, i don't have a fitbit!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Have you had it for 30 days yet? If you have there will be a 30 day average on your Fitbit profile page (on the website...not in the app). There is also an average intake number. Once you have been using both for 30 days you can use these numbers to see how accurate Fitbit's calorie burn is for you.
    • 30 day avg burn - 30 day avg intake = avg daily deficit
    • avg daily deficit * 30 days = total 30 day deficit
    • total 30 day deficit / 3500 = expected loss based on your Fitbit burn and intake
    Lost more then the expected loss = your fitbit is underestimating a bit
    Lost less then the expected loss = your fitbit is overestimating a bit...you can try adjusting your height down in Fitbit's settings to decrease the calorie burn
    This only works well if your logging is pretty accurate. So you want to make sure that your using accurate database entries. Use a food scale for all solid foods for increased accuracy with your food log.

Based on my own personal experience, that calorie burn might not be too far off. I lost around 1.8 lbs per week when I was in the 180's while eating around 2k calories on average (so I had about a 900 calorie per day deficit).

• dualvans
    Options

Ok. To be sure, I want to double check my numbers. How do I find my TDEE for per day? [/quote]

Have you had it for 30 days yet? If you have there will be a 30 day average on your Fitbit profile page (on the website...not in the app). There is also an average intake number. Once you have been using both for 30 days you can use these numbers to see how accurate Fitbit's calorie burn is for you.
    • 30 day avg burn - 30 day avg intake = avg daily deficit
    • avg daily deficit * 30 days = total 30 day deficit
    • total 30 day deficit / 3500 = expected loss based on your Fitbit burn and intake
    Lost more then the expected loss = your fitbit is underestimating a bit
    Lost less then the expected loss = your fitbit is overestimating a bit...you can try adjusting your height down in Fitbit's settings to decrease the calorie burn
    This only works well if your logging is pretty accurate. So you want to make sure that your using accurate database entries. Use a food scale for all solid foods for increased accuracy with your food log.

Based on my own personal experience, that calorie burn might not be too far off. I lost around 1.8 lbs per week when I was in the 180's while eating around 2k calories on average (so I had about a 900 calorie per day deficit).

[/quote]

Hmm ok. I only have been wearing my Fitbit since Saturday, so well below 30 days so far. Guess I'll look in 3 weeks to see how I'm averaging out.

For my own education, how do you arrive to your total calorie intake you need to eat? The baseline intake I guess, before exercise. As I said in my OP that I was advised to eat 1,330 calories from my nutritionist. That is without any exercise or activity factored in, my nutritionist is basing that number for me from my weigh in, measurements and from a machine indicating my total body percentage in water.
  • dualvans
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    At this point, don't second guess the nutritionist - do at least what they say. You may want to ask the nutritionist if that 1330 is your base (without exercise) or if they already figured in your activity/exercise level for the calorie count. I've seen a couple different ways to figure out the calorie count, so it would be good to find out from the nutritionist what method they used.

For example - One site I used figured out my base calorie including my average exercise levels - told me I needed 1900 / day to maintain, but only 1400 or so calories/ day to cut weight. This site/app determines activity based on your general daily activity without exercise - told me I need 1200 calories / day to cut weight, but then when I do exercise, I get to add that to my daily count, so my count on this site/app for exercise days can be as high as 1900 depending on how aggressively I go out paddleboarding that day. I plan on tracking for a few weeks and then establishing an average for my daily (which I suspect will be around the 1400 range given by the other site), so I don't have a rollercoaster of eating - 1200 on no exercise days, 1500 on regular exercise days, and 1900 on race days. Your nutritionist may have already provided you that average.

Without knowing how your nutritionist calculated the 1330, it's actually hard to say if that is your base and you should do 50% over for your exercise, or if that is your desired daily which includes the exercise you get, so you shouldn't add the 50% over for your exercise, but just eat the 1330.

One of the biggest comments I see on another fitness site is that some people aren't losing weight because they aren't eating enough so the body goes into store mode rather than burn mode - sounds like you may have the same issue if you are only at 1028 calories and your nutritionist is recommending at least 1330. I think now that you are starting to track it, you are seeing that you aren't eating enough for the calorie burn for your body (which has been my problem too). Good luck and congrats on being on your way to getting healthier!

Very helpful advice! Thank you! My 1,330 calorie intake is without any form of activity and exercise factored in.

What site did you use to figure out your base calorie intake? If you don't mind my asking. I'll follow my nutritionist advice, but want to run her numbers against reputable sites for comparison sake.

Honestly, now that I'm eating clean I find I am having a hard time reaching my 1,330 max calorie intake. Even on Monday, with 11k steps and an hour in gym I only ate just over 1000 calories.
  • dualvans
    Options

~I have a Fitbit and when I'm losing weight I eat all the calories it gives me. However, MFP has been glitching here recently and the adjustments have been all wonky (double adjustments or MFP claiming exercise logged when their wasn't or both). For this reason I have switched to using a TDEE calculator for recomp for now and turned off exercise being added into my day.

i went to my pc and it turns out my fitbit wasn't linked all along! i had apparently an old MFP account that was linked to my fitbit, instead it was linked to my Under armor account for activity intake. I deleted the OLD mfp account and disconnected the UA app, and relogged in my new current MFP account and linked my fitbit which i can see now. However, the UA still shows up in my exercise diary for under calorie adjustment...how do i remove that completely??? so it'll only show my linked fitbit for activity.